Monday, 28 September 2026

Carole´s Monday. Crouchback

 


Author: Sarah Woodbury
Title: Crouchback
Series: The Welsh Guard Mysteries #1
Genre: Historical Fiction, Mystery, Thriller
Format: Ebook
Pages: 331
Published: November 14, 2019
Where I got It: My shelf (Amazon)


Summary: 
April 1284. As a newly widowed lady-in-waiting to the very pregnant Queen Eleanor of England, Catrin never expected to return to Wales again. She was definitely unprepared to be confronted with murder when she got there--or to find herself face-to-face with Rhys, the childhood friend she lost twenty years before. Rhys had never intended to return home either, but a lifetime of war has deposited him right back where he started--impoverished and owing service to Catrin's older brother.

With Wales having fallen irrevocably to England, and fearful of trusting anyone within the English court of King Edward, Catrin and Rhys join forces against the treachery and intrigue rife within the half-built Caernarfon Castle. And when the murderer strikes again, the task before them becomes increasingly clear: catch the killer, certainly, but also protect their people from a future that is becoming more dangerous and uncertain with every day that passes.



Review:
This has been collecting virtual dust on my Kindle shelf for a while. I think this was a freebie I got ages ago....I honestly can't remember. 

But here we follow Catrin and Rhys as they join forces against murder, treachery, and intrigue. The two had been friends years and years ago, but they haven't seen each other in ages. Now that Catrin is back in Wales with the Queen. She will find herself face-to-face with her old childhood friend and a murder that could ruin everything. 

This was an intriguing read. I loved the freshness of the plot and the setting. It was nice! 

The mystery was good. I had zero idea what was going to happen. 

I liked Catrin and Rhys. There is a smidge of romance, but it wasn't at all a main plot point, which I'm glad for. 

Some areas were heavy-handed with info...which I understand...but it did slow the story down a bit.

Other than that, I really enjoyed it, and I'm glad I finally dusted this off to read it! I am curious about book 2...maybe someday ;) 

4 stars from me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment