Friday 7 August 2009

Review: The Hungergames by Suzanne Collins


The Hungergames by Suzanne Collins
Book 1

Published: September 2008
Genre: Futuristic YA
Pages: 384
Cover: The Swedish publication


Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.




Ok this book was messed up, not in a bad way, no, this book was amazing! But in the sense of the horrible world they have to live in. Everything is a struggle and the most horrifying thing of it all is The Hunger Games.

First, that is that Swedish cover, what can I say, I like it more, and it was on the cover of the book I read so here it is.

This is a bad world, but a world that feels real. Why could this not happen? It has happened before and it can sure happen again. It's a tool by a regime who wants to oppress it's people by sending their children to slaughter. No one dares to put anything against them, they have the power and the people out in the districts have nothing, and they are surrounded by wilderness, mutant killer bees, and other dangerous things. They must stay inside their compounds and starve.

Katniss is a 16 year old girl who is the provider for her mother and sister. She can hunt and she dares to venture outside in the constant struggle to survive. Each year there is the danger of being sent to the Hunger Games, and this year she takes her little sisters place, and faces certain death. 24 children will go into the games, and only one can come out. They will hunt each other down and kill each other. The one who wins will never starve again.

It's not a world I will like to even be in for a second, a terrible existent than they endure. And the Hunger Games are the worst things, the parents and friends have to watch their loved ones die on big tv screens. It's the leaderships way of saying, look what we can do to your children, now just sit still and be quiet.

Katniss is a great heroine, strong and willing to sacrifice herself for her younger sister, because at least she has a chance of getting anywhere in the games. I would not have her courage or will to live. There is one other big character, Peeta, the boy from her district since there are always a boy and a girl chosen. I like him, while she is more wild he can be quiet and nice. Another contender is 12 year old Rue, and my heart bleeds again thinking of a little girl in a situation like that, kill or be killed.

This is a great YA book, one of the best I have read. The future is very grim, but it does have something to say too. Like our obsession with reality tv, blood, death and all to get as many people to watch as possible, in this future world everyone gathers to see children be hunted down and die in agony. Of course do not all like it, they hate it, but they are forced to watch once a year.

I do recommend this book to all, I sat there and turned page after page wanting to see how Katt would get out of it, would she? It's not an easy book either, but it does manages to keep the blood under control. Not to much because that would be tasteless.

I want to read the next book at once, sadly I will have to wait a long time to see what happens, since I guess I will wait for the translation



30 comments:

  1. Can you believe that I've had this book forever at home and still have NOT read it yet? My son read it last year and loved it...he insisted I read it so after reading your awesome review I'm going to make sure that I get this one done this month. I like the Swedish cover much better too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. B,

    Awesome review!! I have got to get this book!! Thank you for the heads up - I probably would not have known about The Hungergames without your blog post. :)

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read this!! Loved your review.

    Why do you have to wait a long time to get the next?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. I'll check it out. I think the hubby might like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear you loved it. Isn't it the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have The Hunger Games, I've been trying to decide on a YA to read, I just might read this one. Enjoyed your review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. B:

    Awesome review! This indeed sounds like a different sort of read!

    You showcase such a diverse selection of books and I keep getting interested every time I stop by. Then I go and look for it or download!

    You are feeding my addiction girl!! lol

    I LOVE the cover art by the way.

    Thanks so much for sharing and have a great weekend.

    L

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cover is so different from the US one! I can't wait for the next book either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic review! Like Staci, I've had this one on my bookshelf for quite a while and I just keep forgetting about it. I promise I'm going to put it on my reading list in the next couple of weeks because... well because I've already bought it and everyone raves about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder how the YA market receives this book?
    Terrific review that since it is "one of the best I have read." I will take your recommendation and read it.
    I'll let you know what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Staci,
    The Swedes really manage to get a cool cover didn't they.
    Listen your your son, and read it, I am sure you will enjoy it too then.

    Michelle,
    What else is blogland for :) Would sure never have read this one if I hadn't been blogging. And it was such a cool book.

    Mandi,
    Well the 2nd one should be just out, or coming soon. That library didn't have them in English so that means waiting for a translation which can take up to 1 year so the library gotta get it too.

    Linda,
    Cool, something you both can enjoy. That could sure be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vivienne,
    I did guess that I could like it, and I sure did. I did not want to put it down. Collins did a great job.

    Donna,
    You do seem to have all the cool YA books. And yes do read it, it has that theme that everyone can like cos it's such a bad horrible world.

    Lea,
    I do love covers so had to show this one, it fits the theme of tv so good.
    Hehe, yup gotta keep feeding that addiction of yours. And I do love reading a bit of everything.

    It was sure different, and I sure loved that about it.
    Have a great weekend :)

    Alyce,
    I know, I didn't almost take the book up when it came in cos I was looking for the US cover, since I knew the Finnish book had it. But I still got the book, and I do want the next right away.

    Teddyree,
    Aye, listen to all who rave about it. It was a good read, and you kept wanting more.

    Wisteria,
    Don't listen to my best ever read line since I meant YA, and I haven't read much YA. But it still was such a great book cos of the world she created. It was memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Blodeuedd,
    Your review rocks and even I am interested in this book though I am so not an YA reader. I will go check this out!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with all said - totally love the review..

    Firstly - that is definitely a better cover than the US version...

    I actually started this on Cecile's daughter recommedation and I am about 45pages in - I can't go any further - My heart can't take what I think will happen...

    I know I will eventually finish it, as that is me, never leave anything unfinished but it's going to be a struggle - I hate books with kids struggling...

    your review does put alot of it in context and by the way My son loves it - it has pride of place on his shelf...

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  15. Leontine,
    It's something about that book that just makes you wanna read it. Do check it out, perhaps there is a tiny YA reader in you. The books are so much better than they were ten years ago.

    EH,
    I know, I do love a nice cover so had to show this one.

    You're reading it, nice. But yes there was a point where my heart started bleeding. That world is so awful, and what children has to go through. Killed for the pleasure of others.

    But do finish it, I know what you mean, no one wants to read about kids struggling.

    So your son liked it too, hm, perhaps I could get my boyfriend to read it. He is not a reader so want to give him something good, that appeals to many and this one was so great.

    Thanks, sometimes a good review comes out of me. Mostly when I really love the idea behind the book or when I am taken with beautiful language

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Blodeuedd!

    I was at Borders last night and looked at Hunger Games, looks and sounds great. It's on my TBR list.

    This is a different cover from the US cover. It's cooler.

    Thanks for the great review!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Dottie,
    Oh Borders, I do hear a lot about that store, sighs, I would love a big store to go through. I kind of know every book here.

    I think this cover is nice, and I am drawn to covers, so perfect for me.

    Yes do read it, it was great :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Blodeuedd!!! My daughter absolutely loved this book. It has been a definitely keeper on her shelf. I read your review to her. She loved your review.
    She is also glad that EH picked up the book to read and she was estactic to hear that her son loved it too!!!
    She said that the book will come out in September over here. She thinks... if you would like... email me. If she gets it, maybe I can get her to let you borrow it!! =) If you want.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review B!
    I like this cover too. This is at the top of my list when I can get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved this book and cannot wait for the sequel! I like this cover more than the US one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cecile,
    I am so glad you both enjoyed my review :D Thanks. It was such a great book and I seem to have more to say sometimes in reviews.

    September, ohhh that is close. ...really, must go and email you at once!

    Jenny,
    Such a good book, do read it.

    Debbie,
    Great cover oh yes :) I can't wait either, I need to know what is gonna happen. It ended so, arggghh need more:D

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've heard so many great things about Hunger Games- I may have to read it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great review! This is my favorite book so far this year along with To Kill a Mockingbird.

    I just asked my boyfriend if he would like to read it, I would love to hear what he thinks of it. This summer he read his first book in at least 11 years(as long as we have been together he has never read a book).

    ReplyDelete
  24. Marie,
    Do read it, such an interesting book. And it does leave you craving more

    Ladybug,
    Oh those boyfriends. I tried to get mine to read, gave him von Däniken. Aliens and stuff should be easy, but no luck. He said he had no time. We can't all be readers but I will try again

    ReplyDelete
  25. I liked this book too, I just didn't like the ending. I am one of those people who actually dislike cliff hangers. I have to say though that I love the Swedish cover so much more than the American one.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lilly,
    I do hate cliffhangers too. It just leave me thinking and I wanna know what happens. But it sells books

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I really liked it, too, and my husband who doesn't really read much flew through this book. Can't wait for the next one. And I agree about the cover. I like that one better.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anna,
    That does it, have to get my boyfriend to read it :)
    I am sure waiting for the next one, need to know what happens

    ReplyDelete
  29. Katniss is such a wonderful heroine. Thanks for the review-- it def is great in that messed up way


    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  30. I know, love this messed up series, dying for book 3 here

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP