Tuesday 9 March 2010

Review: Nightwalker - Jocelynn Drake

This is a post previously posted over at Royal Reviews

Nightwalker by Jocelynn Drake

Series: Dark Days, book 1
Genre: Urban fantasy
Copyright: 2008
Pages: 384
Rating: 3.5/5

For centuries Mira has been a nightwalker -- an unstoppable enforcer for a mysterious organization that manipulates earth-shaking events from the darkest shadows. But elemental mastery over fire sets her apart from others of her night-prowling breed...and may be all that prevents her doom.

The foe she now faces is human: the vampire hunter called Danaus, who has already destroyed so many undead. For Mira, the time has come to hunt or be hunted.

But in a dimension just beyond the worlds boundaries, a banished race stirs dangerously, hungry for power, for domination, for vengeance. Already a protective seal has been breached: already blood flows like a river through the world's great cities.
And only the collaboration of two sworn enemies can save humankind...and its ferel brethern.


This is urban fantasy that had me pleasantly surprised. It is not just the eternal struggle between the vampires and the hunters. There are darker beings in this book, and my attention was caught.

Mira is a vampire, living in the US, away from the Coven and the vampire Elders. She holds the peace in her territory, and the thing about her is that she can create fire. A strange thing since that can kill vampires, and no other nightwalker has ever held this power. She is different. Then there is Danaus, the strange hunter that has been stalking her, and who would love to kill her. The chemistry between them is there, but it's being held back. Since he think all vampires are bloodthirsty monsters, and since she knows he would love to stake her. I can only imagine that the tension will continue to build, and it did make me want to read more.

There is also some werewolves in this book, and warlocks, so magic and strange things are out there, but humans do not know. And then we come to my favorite part of this book, the strange Naturi, those we call elves and pixies, of course they are nothing like that and they want to kill all humans and nightwalkers. There is also a even darker force, but those are not mentioned more than by word. But it is this rich history and mythology that makes this book great, ad which holds my attention. Drake has done well with creating a world that echo of long lost myths, and darkness hidden in shadows.

It is an easy book, not that much romance, but enough to tempt me that there might be more. Some fights, but in a way not too much action. It is hard to explain, there is action, of course, but at the same time there is this other tone in the book. About understanding, magic, and even older forces that keep us in place.

This was great Urban fantasy, and I want to read more about Mira, and the troubles she is facing as the Naturi wants to come back into the world. And who said it was easy to co-exist with your fellow nightwalkers either. It will keep you on your edge, and I do recommend this book to fellow UF fans out there. Mira is worth the chance, and I liked her at once.

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: Hm, she kind of looks like a nightwalker
Reason for Reading: Own copy
Final thoughts: Good UF

22 comments:

  1. Hmm. I wonder if I already have this on my TBR shelf...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so much UF to give a go LOL This is one of those series I see frequently pop up and i always forget to order the first book in the series LOL I hope I remember now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this one of the books you bought with your birthday gift certificate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris,
    Lol, you better climb that moment and find out.

    Leontine
    I do think I like UF more than PR, can't say why but I just do :D

    Aarti,
    Oh no, wont spend that on UF, will spend it on fantasy ;)
    This was something I got in the fall

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love me a good urban fantasy read! I'll be adding this one to my TBR list :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not an UF fan at all, but maybe I will give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this is in my tbr pile..nice review! I am really liking UF right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks krista,
    Yes UF is so good now and again, should read some more

    Marissa
    Not at all!
    really but it is so fun ;)

    Naida
    Thank you, yes it is a promising start to the series

    Mandi
    UF is awesome :D Yes I am truly enjoying it, want more too

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had this on my list for ages, at least a year, and I'm really wishing I'd read it before I got so sick of vampires. If I ever come off my vampire hiatus I'm going to have loads of vampire books backed up for me to read. This one sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi B!

    This is one of my favorite authors, Nightwalker was her first book. Mira and Danaus come to have quite a history, and Danaus is a mystery all by himself. Their story together makes the series worth reading. The fey in this series are supremely evil. It's a good read, but not a lot of romance. I'm hoping to see something develop in the later books, but I'll continue reading anyway. Next come Dayhunter and Dawnbreaker (three additional book so far as well, but not released yet.)

    Thanks for a great review! Do you think you'll try the next?

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love urban fantasy, but sometimes they all seem to blend together. You make this one sound like it stands out, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jennysbooks
    Oh I know where you are coming from, I am pretty sick of vamps too, I think I could deal with this one cos it is UF and that always gives another feel to it

    Dottie
    I know :D
    I just love the evil Fey, and I can't wait to hear more about them, and those that are even more evil.
    Not a romance junkie so I am happy though I will sure wish for a HEA.

    Yes I even have book 2 and 3 so I a in for the long run.

    Carol
    They can do that, luckily I haven't read that much yet so perhaps I haev noticed

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds pretty awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been looking forward to this book, nice to see you enjoyed it. Urban Fantasy has been my favorite genre this past year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad to hear that you liked this book because I have it here in my shelf =D Have read some mixed reviews so I'm glad to see one of my blogging friends enjoying this book! Thank you for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband just discovered urban fantasy, and you're giving me some good titles to recommend to him. Thanks!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  17. Staci
    You can never go wrong with UF

    Donna,
    UF sneaked up on me and I am glad it did, a great new genre I so enjoyed last year too.

    Ladybug
    Oh mixed reviews, well I mean I am sick and tired of vamps and I still enjoyed it, that says something

    Anna
    He did! Great :D It is such a cool genre, I enjoy it much more than paranormal romance

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank goodness you liked this! I'm interested :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is an easy book, not that much romance, but enough to tempt me that there might be more.

    I love that about UF... too much romance takes away from what UF is all about..

    Cool sum up hon..


    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sassy
    It was the fairies, totally those dark wicked things

    EH
    true, UF can have romance, but keep it short, like with fantasy and I am happy

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks like a really interesting book! Thank you for the review, Blodeuedd! I'll have to look out for this one. :)
    JAD

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP