Saturday 12 February 2011

Review: The Iron Duke - Meljean Brook

Iron Seas 1
Genre: Steampunk romance
Pages: 378
Published 2010

After the Iron Duke freed England from Horde control, he instantly became a national hero. Now Rhys Trahaearn has built a merchant empire on the power-and fear-of his name. And when a dead body is dropped from an airship onto his doorstep, bringing Detective Inspector Mina Wentworth into his dangerous world, he intends to make her his next possession.

But when Mina uncovers the victim's identity, she stumbles upon a conspiracy that threatens the lives of everyone in England. To save them, Mina and Rhys must race across zombie-infested wastelands and treacherous oceans-and Mina discovers the danger is not only to her countrymen, as she finds herself tempted to give up everything to the Iron Duke.

Plot:
How to even start explaining this book? Ok the Horde showed up and lay waste to Europe, people fled across the seas. Those left behind were infected with nanoagents and it went terribly wrong and they became zombies. In England it worked better and the Horde had complete control over their emotions. Then The Iron Duke came and destroyed their hold on the people and the Horde left. Europe is zombie infested, England tries to move on, and the Horde still control big parts of the world.

Our heroine is Mina, daughter of an Earl, and she works as an inspector. Her mother become pregnant with her during a frenzy, that is when the Horde wanted the people to breed. She looks like them, and people do not forget easily. Rhys is a Welshman turned pirate, and become a Duke because of his service to the country. Everyone loves him, just as no one likes Mina.

My thoughts:
 I liked Mina, she was brave and smart. Yes people spat on her and called her jadewhore, but she went on with her job. I respected her. Rhys, he was an enigma, I did like him too, because come on, he was a pirate. But there was so much more to him. He wanted her, but she held back because she knew what she was, and what she could not have. Doomed romance, I loved it.

But truthfully the best part is the world. Rich and just awesome. Zombies, nanos in the blood that control you and make you stronger, people with drills for arms, flying ships, seas that have krakens and other monsters. A world turned upside down and a world so great that I need to know more about it. I guess that is also the only negative part, I wanted more info about the Horde.

The plot was good too. A body left at his estate, why, and a bigger plot in it all.

Recommendation and final thoughts:
Yes, yes and one more yes. What are you waiting for? Read this book. It has something for everyone, romance, steampunk, zombies, action, mystery, great characters and wonderful worldbuilding. I closed the book and I needed more.

Reason for reading:
Peer pressure ;)

Cover:
Meh, I mean the things around it are great, but him with his shirt open and a nipple showing, not so much.

PS.
Steampunk is an alternative version of history, most often the Victorian era is used and to make a long story short, they got more technology



47 comments:

  1. I'm sold. I saw another rave review for this one a few weeks ago, and I love the sound of it...plus that cover is great ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am completely sold as well. I love steampunk and doomed romance can even make it better. Great review and great tip - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good series. I havent read this genre before. I do enjoy anything zombie related.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must stop reading and reviewing these books...my mind is spinning and I don't know what to read first!! You're such a bad influence!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been dancing around this book for some time now. It sounds very interesting and very strange at the same time. But I think I'll give it a try. Good ewview!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, i have this one on my shelf, i can't wait to read it!! I loved the short story 'prequel' that I read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard nothing but good about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you liked this! I read about this when it came out and it sounded so good. Good to know it also is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed the book as much as I had thought you would. now go read Cold Magic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only recently heard of "steampunk" and had no clue what it is, but this does sound like a good series.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dammit! I want to read this one. Oh man... stop it! You really have me wanting this even more! ARGH! I need more reading time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay...this books sounds waaaaay too weird, but not bad either!

    But hey, you read Steam Punk!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melissa
    It was just so so so, oh I was lost of words. My review did not do it justice

    Ana
    Steampunk is fun, I do want more of that, and even though I hate zombies..they are still great too ;)

    Naida
    Give it a try, steampunk is just so fun. And if you like zombies then there is a continent full of them

    ReplyDelete
  14. Staci
    Hihi, I know, I have been reading way too many good books lately. But what to say...pick this one ;)

    Patti
    I am sure you will enjoy it :D

    Host
    Go ahead and try it. It has all that which I promised and deeper layers too

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carrie
    I have not read that one yet! But so wanna. A friend is planning to buy the book so hopefully I can borrow it

    Chris
    Read it...read it...read it

    Elysium
    This is certainly a book I wanna recommend, so...read it ;)

    Simcha
    Lol, I am afraid little Cold Magic got pushed back a bit, but I am gonna read it soon since it will be fun to see Europe there

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yvonne
    I knew nothing of it either a year ago, and no..well Victorian times with more technology, lol, oh there is more to it :)

    Melissa
    I am evil, I am here to make you all buy books mouwahahha ;)

    Lis
    Steampunk is fun, and this was sure the most steampunk I have read yet

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome review! I will end up bowing down to the pressure as well and buying this one LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey honey! I hope you are having a great weekend! Hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I keep seeing this book all over the place. I seriously need to pick it up! Great review. I actually love the nipple showing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the review! Between this review and our conversation on Twitter I'm going to add this to my TBR list pile as well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey hon!

    Great review!

    I've missed you where have you been...I've got a give-away for a free e-book this week I thought you'd be in for the contest...you've still got time. So hurry on over!

    Now, what have you been doing? I've been so busy I've had little time to vist anyone of late...fill me in on what's been happening.

    Big hugs
    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like a winner! I just wish I knew what steampunk is -- futuristic romance?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Larissa
    I do fear peer pressure will do that to you ;)

    Cecile
    Thanks sweetie :) All is good

    Ing
    Lol, most of the time I do not care, but the nipple looked weird ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Deanna
    It was just good, so cool, oh steampunk, loving it!

    Hawk
    I have been...well reading ;) Avoiding an uni assignment, looking at a library e-reader

    DC
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk
    But ok, Victorian era (often) and more technology, the road not taken, alternative history

    ReplyDelete
  25. Now see I would have thought you liked that cover. I will definitely look for this based on your review Linda. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I do NOT do zombies but this sounds kind of cool. Like a couple of movies I've seen but still interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jenny
    I know, I am very strange, I love half nekkid men, I don't love it. It all depends :)

    Ladytink
    Zombies are freaking scary! But luckily they are in the background

    ReplyDelete
  28. Got my eye on this one too... as soon as Tesco has it on sale ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cherry
    I hope there is a sale soon then ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Didn't think steampunk with zombies would be a godo mix but since you liked it I might give this a read.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Okay, I've heard people being so thrilled with this book. But really didn't learn much about it. Now, this review has really made me curious! I love the sounds of the plot, even though there are zombies here. ;) But this does sound like an amazing read! Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is already on my to-read list. Glad to see you enjoyed it. I do wish it didn't have zombies, though.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yay! Glad you enjoyed it Blodeuedd! I can't wait for HEART OF STEEL.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, this sounds like a great new series to get hooked on!

    ReplyDelete
  35. @Jenny
    It works really good, and the explanation is great. I believe it

    @Melissa
    Oh are you like me, scared of zombies? They are freaky bastards aren't they ;) But yes awesome book

    ReplyDelete
  36. @Carol
    They are not really the focus, almost not even there :)

    @VFG
    I know! Need it now! :D

    @Amused
    I am so glad that I listened to everyone and bought it

    ReplyDelete
  37. LOL. yes. I just hate those zombies. And for so long they where portrayed as mindless, brain-eating skin-decaying, monsters. But it seems as they are turning around here in books as well. :) I've added this one to my list. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Melissa
    Here, well they are decaying, since they are dead..or where they, hm, should check that, anyway. They were supposed to be good law-abiding humans but those nanos made them into something else ;) And now they want to infect others. They seem fast too...I hate when they are fast

    ReplyDelete
  39. I read this one back in October and I loved it. Too bad the next one doesn't come out until October of this year.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Now that is why I'll be okay with this book, I think. The zombies don't fall into the normal old fashion classification. I like that idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Spav
    How will I ever survive the wait :( So long. I wish they would release a cover soon that I could lust over

    ReplyDelete
  42. Melissa
    Lol, The Horde were pretty evil but pretty awesome too. I mean they created Krakens...and yes these very cool evil zombies. I wonder if Finland is safe...

    ReplyDelete
  43. lol. Well, you might want to keep one eye open. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  44. I have yet to read anything Steampunk but I think this book will be my first :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Book Vixen
    I just say...go for it :D

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP