Tuesday 10 August 2010

Review: Emma and the Vampires - Wayne Josephson and Jane Austen

Genre: Fiction, historical, paranormal, Classic
Pages: 304
Published: August 2010 Sourcebooks Landmark

What better place than pale England to hide a secret society of gentlemen vampires?

In this hilarious retelling of Jane Austen's Emma, screenwriter Wayne Josephson casts Mr. Knightley as one of the most handsome and noble of the gentlemen village vampires. Blithely unaware of their presence, Emma, who imagines she has a special gift for matchmaking, attempts to arrange the affairs of her social circle with delightfully disastrous results. 


I know that some do not like these mash-ups, but I think they are so funny. The things I love the most are the things I like to see changed or made fun of.  This totally works for me. And you all know I love things Austen by now.

Most of you surely know Emma, the pretty spoiled lady who suddenly realizes that she is a great matchmaker, and of course she isn't and that leads to a string of fun misunderstandings. And this book follows that plot, it follows Emma as it should, with a few exceptions...

There are vampires around and in Highbury there are a few gentlemen vampires. The rest seems to be blissfully aware even though these men have black eyes, red eyes, never eat or sleeps and are really pale. Mr Knightley is one of these gentlemen, as is Mr Elton and Mr Weston. But there are also wild vampires around, and Emma who carries a stake is not a bad vampire-killer when attacked. Mr Knightley is also very handy with a sabre, cos yes he and the rest chops a few heads when attacked. A real gentlemen does not attack a lady without being asked.

Vampires works so well here because he keeps it witty and a comedy of manners. The book is hilarious and sure Emma may not be the best heroine but she does have a good heart and means well. Harriett is a vampiremagnet with her heaving bosom and slender neck, Mr Knightley as knightley as ever, Emma's dad just as he always is, and Frank Churchill, a coward, for a vampire.

For readers who wants to read something nice, I would recommend this. For readers who love mash-ups, don't forget this one, and for those that haven't try one, just plunge in, and don't be horrified that Austen's works are being turned into something else. I am pretty sure she would have gotten a few laughs from it too.


Blodeuedd's Cover Corner:  Well that looks gross.
Reason for reading: From the publisher.
Final thoughts: The only thing I didn't like was the end, it left me a bit, what, and then? 

4

Being a gentleman, he would never consider roaming about at night attacking young ladies to whom he had not been properly introduced.
- Emma and the vampires


25 comments:

  1. Oh, I can't wait to read it! Sounds fun! Your comment on Harriet's bosoms is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Emma yet, so I plan to read that first. I can't wait to get to this one, though. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I just don't think these mash-ups are for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review and this sounds like so much fun! I'd definitely like to give it a shot one day. I think these mash-ups are fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arleigh,
    Lol, well the vampire sure noticed those kinds of things. They thought she looked very yummy at times.

    Anna
    Good idea, of course..neither have I *hides in shame* But I have watched movies and the miniseries

    Carol
    I certainly like them, but yes I do get that some doesn't

    Irena
    Do, please do :) It was such a witty book, he managed so great with her language

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!! I have this one to read too...now I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So what mash-up have you not seen that you'd love to see?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Staci
    Yay :) I hope you like it. I just love them so much that I got another mash-up today ;)

    Jake
    Vampires and Austen makes so much sense, hm, would be such a cool movie.

    Chris
    Let me think about this one..I'd love to see Persuasion, but with what? Northanger Abbey and werewolves, of course. Jane Eyre the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review!

    I got this for review, I haven't read any of these mashups yet but I've been curious about them!

    I haven't read Emma either, but it sounds interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the mash ups especially the ones having to do with vampires. This sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never did like that Frank Churchill so it's fitting that he's a coward of a vampire.

    Great review Blodeuedd! Not sure if a Jane Austen mash-up is right for me but I do love this cover.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi B!

    I haven't tried these yet, but I considering it, LOL. Not so sure about the mash-ups, especially Jane Eyre!! LOL I may try one, I'll have to think some more....

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marie
    I am sure you'll like it, cos it was a pretty cool mash-up. And it sure gives a great portrayal of Emma too.

    Darlene
    They are just so funny! I hope they make more, lol, of course I am sure they are gonna make many more

    ReplyDelete
  14. VFG
    Frank is an ass. Never did like him, and in this book, yes can't like him at all. Never did understand why Jane stayed by him.

    Dottie,
    Lol, dunno if I have seen an Jane Eyre one yet but it would be fun.
    And do try mash-ups, do try this one

    ReplyDelete
  15. I usually don't like these kind of books..but you say it is funny.......

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was a bit hesitant on the mash-ups, but after completely enjoying A.Lincoln Vampire Hunter I am open to others. This sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mandi
    It was witty, and I do appreciate witty, and since you like Soulless ;)

    DC
    Lol, that one is just weird, haven't read it, but yes, weird :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. awesome review, blodeuedd! i love emma's dad, he and mr martin are my favorite characters :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Carrie
    I just love Emma's dad, sure I would find him annoying, but as a reader I like him lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. I knew this book had your name written all over it! Glad you enjoyed it. This is not for me a the moment but some day I'll get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't usually do the "mash ups" as you describe them, LOL, but your review makes me want to read this one - you haven't steered me wrong yet!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jenny
    You sure know me well then :D Cos yes it sucked me in, and just look at that quote. It sums up the witty things that are being said through out it

    Patti
    Listened to me ;) But then I can't say no to Austen, or mash-ups it seems. But ack the witty quotes had me smiling all through the book

    ReplyDelete
  23. I read the first few pages and i'm looking forward to this one :)
    great review! I think these are funny too.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Naida
    They sure are :) I hope you'll enjoy it too

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP