Friday 28 February 2014

Mr Penumbra's 24-hour bookstore - Robin Sloan

Recession has shuffled Clay Jannon out of his life as a Web-design drone and serendipity coupled with sheer curiosity has landed him a new job working the night shift at Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. And it doesn't take long for Clay to realize that the quiet, dusty book emporium is even more curious than the name suggests. There are only a few fanatically committed customers, but they never seem to actually buy anything, instead they simply borrow impossibly obscure volumes perched on dangerously high shelves, all according to some elaborate arrangement with the eccentric proprietor. The store must be a front for something larger, Clay concludes, and soon he has plugged in his laptop, roped in his friends (and a cute girl who works for Google) and embarked on a high-tech analysis of the customers' behaviour. What they discover is an ancient secret that can only be solved by modern means, and a global-conspiracy guarded by Mr. Penumbra himself... who has mysteriously disappeared.

My thoughts:
I really enjoyed this book, mostly because how it was written. I do love a well written book, and this one managed to mix humor, tech and the love of books with mystery. I do not like to compare books, but if I would have to, yes a bit of Carlos Ruiz Zafon vibes with the whole something strange afoot. 

For a book lover, this is the book to read. Clay, our hero starts working at a bookstore. Not many people comes by but some of those who do are strange and there is where a mystery is born. Who are they? Why can't he look at the books from the forbidden section? And the mystery grows.

To his help he has a cute google girl, his old fantasy loving friend and of course Mr Penumbra.

The hunt for the truth was good, I liked the use of technology in it, and the whole feeling I got. I love books, I will always love books and yes I need real books too.

Conclusion:
A book lovers dream. Put in a mystery and google, and this is what you get. Well written and excellent.

Cover
eh

Paperback, 304 pages
Published February 27th 2014 by Atlantic Books (first published January 1st 2012)
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore #1
Fiction
For review

PS. Thank you my blog angel for my blog make over :D

52 comments:

  1. I've seen this in stores and wondered about it. I'll have to give it a try, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo new blog layout! Looks great:) And this sounds like an interesting book, I always think it would be fun to work in a bookstore. But one of the quaint, older ones as opposed to the big chain bookstores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wanted something different :D

      I would love to work in one too, but yes in an older one.

      Delete
  3. That sounds like my kind of book!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog looks fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on the cover, though it is a fun one! And I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. It does sound like THE book for a book lover. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different, but meh ;)

      It sure is! I love books about books and bookstores

      Delete
  6. Love the new look for the blog! I was sick for a couple days and come back and did a double take, thinking I was in the wrong place. :-) Gorgeous design! I'm really excited to read this because I love books and tech and mystery, and this has them all. Looking forward to picking this up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D
      Hihi, yes I did not have a big unveiling, instead you all got to be surprised ;)

      It was such a cool book, I do recommend it

      Delete
  7. Oh yes sign me up! I am always about well written! Sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh sweet! This sounds perfect for me (and yea, I can tell just about everyone commenting here too! lol) I am so putting this on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard such good things about this book! Maybe one day I will get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen this around quite a lot and will definitely be adding it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen this around as well. Never got to looking for it. Like your new look very much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo I like your new blog look!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hardly recognized the place, well done, blog angel! I want this book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. it sounds nice and well it's always so great to have a well written story like that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book sounds delightful, Linda! and a lovely new look for your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've had this on a wish list FOREVER. I'm so glad you liked it. It sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. I liked the mystery and weird conspiracy

      Delete
  17. How could I not like a mystery about books?
    You're new look is great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving the new look Linda! And this one sounds like a really fun read - I'm going to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, I like the header! So cute and fun! Who designed it for you?

    This book sounds so quirky and fun - thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D

      It was Lea, she used to have a blog called Closet reader, now she mostly review forUSA today

      Delete
  20. i hadn't heard of this before!! sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aww I love your new header, Lea really is an angel. Oh and book sounds weird but good weird ... haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yeah the cover could be a lot better but the book sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm not drawn to the cover either. Glad to see it's good though.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I keep staring at the cover. haha

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP