Wednesday 23 April 2014

India Black and the Widow of Windsor - Carol K.Carr

Black is back—Her Majesty’s favorite spy is off to Scotland in this new adventure to ensure the Queen doesn’t end up getting killed.

When Queen Victoria attends a séance, the spirit of her departed husband, Prince Albert, insists she spend Christmas at their Scottish home in Balmoral. Prime Minister Disraeli suspects the Scottish nationalists plan to assassinate the Queen—and sends the ever resourceful India and the handsome British spy, French, to the Scottish highlands.

French will take the high road, looking for a traitor among the guests-and India will take the low road, disguised as a servant in case an assassin is hiding among the household staff. India is certain that someone at Balmoral is determined to make this Her Majesty’s last Christmas…

My thoughts:
I do think I liked this one even better than book 1. It might have been the downstairs/upstairs things ;)

Right, so our favorite brothel owner has been sent to Scotland. There she will play the part of a servant. Being a former whore, India does know how to act and get information. Sure she is not the best all the time, but who would be that when put in a situation like this without any schooling. So I like her.

French is there too playing the bored aristocrat who does what he wants. And there was something almost said that the beginning that sure had me wondering. Will we never learn more about him?

Amusing situations, danger, spying and one strange old lady. India sure has her hands full in this book. I also wonder if the almost flirting between her and French will lead somewhere...oh yes the questions. I guess I just need to read book 3.

Conclusion:
A Christmas gathering turned deadly. Two spies, a lusty nobleman to avoid and the question of who is trying to kill the queen. A fun book that had me guessing.

Cover
works

Paperback, 320 pages
Published April 17th 2014 by Titan Books (first published October 4th 2011)
Madam of Espionage Mysteries #2
Historical /suspense/spy/mystery
For review

51 comments:

  1. I need to get book 1, these sound fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone seems to love India Black!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really need to try this series - it sounds like smth I would really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do wonder what will happen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sound of a strange old lady and good action

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there romance in this series or is it just hinted at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is hinted that there be some love in the future...or NOT

      Delete
  7. Yay, another India Black book! You know, I just love the series name..."Madam of Espionage" has a nice ring ;-)

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it does, I want to call myself that lol

      Delete
  8. This is yet another series that I've had sitting on my shelf for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember your review for book one and I wanted the series then, this sounds even better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Downton Abbey primed me for upstairs/downstairs drama. And a whore turned spy? Goody!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, yes that was fun and I love the whole up and down thing

      Delete
  11. I think I'm going to have to turn my neighbor onto the first one. It doesn't appeal to me personally but she's always up for historical fiction. Though I would have thought there would be more romance than you made it sound (just basing that off of gut reaction from the cover)
    Cause if this is the second book you'd think the flirting might have gotten a little bit of somewhere by now, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The do not flirt that much, just a tiny bit and they did not see each other a lot in this one

      Delete
  12. Oh I don't know about being left with so many questions. This one might be good to have the series and then read one after another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that many, just about him and a thing he almost said

      Delete
  13. This sounds like a fun series and I like that cover.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to read this soon! Good to hear this was good too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love when a series gets progressively better as it goes on, so I'm thrilled! I can't wait to start these books myself - hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love upstairs/downstairs drama and India sounds awesome! I'll have to check this series out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Actually, this one may be up my alley. I have not read many good spy novels in recent times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's not a boring dry spy novel at least ;) Those I can't do

      Delete
  18. the guy is named French? That's funny. I love the cover and I'm glad it was better than book 1! Always nice this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I wonder why....oh the things I wanna know!

      Delete
  19. "I do think I liked this one even better than book 1. It might have been the downstairs/upstairs things ;)"

    ...and I liked it definitely less...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another one that I will definitely try ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. A Christmas gathering turned deadly. Two spies, a lusty nobleman? Yes I am in!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are right, this one sounds better than first book. I guess I'll have to read book 1.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hmm nice review Blodeuedd, I do have the first book on my wishlist, I will certainly add this one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh gosh this book sounds like so much fun! I am really going to have to look into this series.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP