Thursday 18 October 2018

Audio: Changeling - Molly Harper


Audible Audio, 8h
Narrator: Amanda Ronconi
Published August 22nd 2018 by Audible Studios
Sorcery and Society #1
YA Fantasy
For review

My Thoughts:
This was a rather delightful book. Sara was so sassy, had humour and at the same time she was vulnerable. 

Magicians rose up all over the world and took over. Now "normal" people work as servants for the high and might who rule the world.

Then there is Sara, who suddenly has magical powers. Her employers are scared that the higher ups will blame them and she is embraced into the family as one of them. In comes Cassandra Reed, who is sent to school to learn magic, and manners.

I liked the whole boarding school setup. There is the mean girl clicque, those who try to hide. Dances with the boy academy. It all works really well. Her "aunt" is never far away either as the boarding school is close by. She will get new friends and learna  few lessons. Magical and non magical.

I liked Mrs Winter, her former employer. She was so proper, but underneath it all there is someone kind.

Everyone was delightful, and the baddies were wicked and needed a kick in the behind.

A fun YA that has a bit of everything. Friendship, magic, suspense, romantic feelings and an interesting world that is about to change.

Conclusion:
I do recommend it, to YA fans and to adults.

Narration:
She was perfect for Cassandra at 14, and then she was perfect as Mrs Winter (and now I can hear her voice in my head to sit up straight.) She has a good range, and she was perfect for the dry with and sassiness to be had.

Blurb:
If 14-year-old Cassandra Reed makes it through her first day at Miss Castwell’s Institute for the Magical Instruction of Young Ladies without anyone discovering her secret, maybe, just maybe, she’ll let herself believe that she really does belong at Miss Castwell’s.

Except Cassandra Reed’s real name is Sarah Smith and up until now, she lived her whole life in the Warren, serving a magical family, the Winters, as all non-magical “Snipes” are bound by magical Guardian law to do. That is, until one day, Sarah accidentally levitates Mrs. Winter’s favorite vase in the parlor...

But Snipes aren’t supposed to have magical powers…and the existence of a magical Snipe threatens the world order dictated during the Guardians’ Restoration years ago. If she wants to keep her family safe and protect her own skin, Sarah must figure out how to fit into posh Guardian society, master her newfound magical powers and discover the truth about how an ordinary girl can become magical. 

26 comments:

  1. I really love Molly Harper and Amanda Ronconi. I've been debating if I wanted to try this one. I'm not a huge YA, but this doesn't sound too bad.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hear you! YA can be tricky. But I found this worked perfectly. Mean girl and all

      Delete
  2. Yay!! I need to try this one then thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is really cool sounding and I like Molly Harper. Thanks Blodeuedd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is funny and she brought that in here too

      Delete
  4. I always enjoy Harper. Is this her first YA?

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds nice for a YA novel... ;p

    ReplyDelete
  6. This actually sounds good. I like the setup and the story premise of this one. Sounds like a book I might enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Melanie on this one. I waffled back and forth about getting it because it is YA. Maybe down the road... Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do seem more willingly to try yA these days (except when it comes to fantasy), but historical fantasy works well :)

      Delete
  8. About time they take over the world!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no. It is bad! Most of humanity live in crappy conditions and have no rights. They are only servants and can never be more

      Delete
  9. I have been curious about this one. I am glad that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do have fun with Molly Harper books narrated by Amanda Ronconi! I didn't know she did YA. I'll have to check this out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just noticed this one last week. Glad to see you enjoyed it. I do love magic and school settings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi me too! But I have been disappointed a few times so I am glad that was not the case here

      Delete
  12. This does seem like a delightful listen and very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure why but I never seem to get tired of magical boarding schools???

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP