Wednesday 13 November 2019

Audio: Thirteen doorways, wolves behind them all by Laura Ruby

Narrated by: Lisa Flanagan
Length: 8 hrs and 59 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release date: 10-01-19
Language: English
Publisher: HarperAudio
Historical fiction /YA/ghost

I read this blurb (not this one), and expected something entirely else. More horror in the orphanage, so ok, it was not a walk on roses, but I thought it would be worse. Now there were even good times.

Frankie and Toni is left at an orphanage by their father. He has a new wife (asshat!), and no place in his home for them. They grow up there and he visits twice a month, until he does not. His new wife was a piece of work.

Frankie is the sensible one that tries to be good.
Toni is the one that likes to flirt with the boys, even though they are not allowed too.

The nuns are strict, WWII starts. Family drama.

And then there was the ghost, ok so this was really weird. At first I was more interested in Frankie's story, but then there ghost took more and more space and I liked her more. A young woman hanging around, wondering why, whispering to orphans and slowly we learn her story. And it is a sad one.

So yes, I did feel that the story would have worked great without the ghost. And I also feel like the story would have worked great with just the ghost, as it is now we have both, and sure that works too.

Narration
I liked her ghost voice for Pearl, it fitted great.
The ghost part had this other feel to them and that did work great for the story. It felt more ghostly.

When Frankie’s mother died and her father left her and her siblings at an orphanage in Chicago, it was supposed to be only temporary - just long enough for him to get back on his feet and be able to provide for them once again. That’s why Frankie's not prepared for the day that he arrives for his weekend visit with a new woman on his arm and out-of-state train tickets in his pocket.

Now, Frankie and her sister, Toni, are abandoned alongside so many other orphans - two young, unwanted women doing everything they can to survive.

And as the embers of the Great Depression are kindled into the fires of World War II, and the shadows of injustice, poverty, and death walk the streets in broad daylight, it will be up to Frankie to find something worth holding on to in the ruins of this shattered America - every minute of every day spent wondering if the life she's able to carve out will be enough.

I will admit I do not know the answer. But I will be watching, waiting to find out.

That’s what ghosts do.

14 comments:

  1. Well you've definitely caught my interest Blodeuedd and it's WWII so that's my favorite era. Thanks this is going on my list, I'll check to see if it's available in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awful thing to do to your kids. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh interesting, and the narration sounds good. You know I love the period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A ghost story... I wasn’t expecting that. It sounds interesting, plus I am always looking for books on WWII.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither did I, nor that the ghost would take more and more space

      Delete
  5. An interesting "ghost" story, not sure the WWII background will work too well for me though.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love historical fiction set in WW II -- with a ghost story to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope these kids get a happy ending! What a horrible father!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like there is a lot going on in this one. I am really curious about that ghost and someone needs to haunt that father!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP