Wednesday 11 March 2009

The Iron Tree by Cecilia Dart-Thornton


The Iron Tree by Cecilia Dart-Thornton
Book 1 in The Crowthistle Chronicles

In a desert land young Jarred lives with his mother. His father left long ago in search of something, or just to hide. And Jarred wants more out of his life so he leaves with a bunch of friends in search of adventure, and to find his father. Instead he find the love of a woman when he meets Lilith who lives in the marches of Slievmordhu. Now he wants to travel no further, instead he wants to win her love.

But she has a suitor, and a terrible curse over her that will make her go insane like her mother one day. But she cannot give up the love she feels for him.


It's hard to review this book since I read the first part 6 months ago and finished it this week. I was honestly not that impressed to continue.

She is a good write, and she creates good stories, countries and such. She puts in a lot of old fairy tales and things that we might know, so when a ghost or something shows up we might just know what they are and how to get rid of them. So I do like the marches, and she was a way of writing. It's good romance fantasy.

But then I did turn into a picky reader and this is not the fantasy for me. Nothing happens! They mostly sit in that march and wonder what to do, or we see her jealous suitor, or the march life continues.

I do need more things to happen, and the end didn't made me happy either. I even had a sneak peak at the next books ending, which didn't have me happy either. So who knows about the last book then.

Maybe she is trying to hard to put in every single element of fantasy in the book, and the results is just confusing at times. I did get lost if I stopped reading for awhile. There was to much of everything, and too many long boring descriptions. I read that she was compared to Tolkien, and I just thought blasphemy! He is not that boring.

And I couldn't connect to Jarred because he was too perfect, and Lilith, plainly boring again. The only one that seemed real was the crazed suitor.

Oh a warning! Read the beginning and you know the end. I hate that.

But if is does seem interesting, than do read it. There are all kinds of fantasy and this wasn't my cup of tea.

1/5 *


The rest of the series are:
The Well of Tears
The Weatherwitch
Fallowblade


4 comments:

  1. It's too bad you didn't like this one as it does sound really good from the description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, maybe I am in a rot, a friend said that after she read this amazing book other ones were spoiled for her, and I did come across 2 great ones this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you're Finnish I was wondering if you read the legend of the Ice people by Margit Sandemo. I loved this series, the best witches and historical paranormal ever!!!! I read it when i still lived in Poland but they don't even have it on the U.S. market

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually haven't, but I have a bunch of her books in Swedish, I really have to get to those one day too.
    I wasn't in to them when I got them, but now they should be right up my alley...maybe I should take a trip to my parents.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP