Monday 9 March 2009

Odalisque by Fiona Mcintosh


Odalisque by Fiona McIntosh
Book 1 in the Percheron saga.

The land has a new Zar, 15 year old Boaz take the throne after his father dies, and by his side is his mother who will do anything for the power this brings her. In a cut-throat court he must reign, and see who is wants him harm and who is his friend.

The warrior, the Spur Lazar, the old kings jester Pez, and a beautiful odalisque Ana, purchased in the foothills will porve to be the only true friends the young king has, and can trust in the beginning of his reign.

And the world will also herald the coming of the gods themselves to do battle again against each other.


What am i to say?! I borrowed this book from a friend, and she loved it. But I couldn't begin to imagine how boring and icky it would be. I speeded through it just to finish it.

Boaz was an idiot, he could have done what he wanted cos in the end he was the ruler, but no let innocents get executed and his old friend castrated.

Lazar, ok, dunno about 35 or so falling madly with some fresh 15 year old. And she should learn to hold her tongue.

I didn't hate anyone, but I didn't like anyone either. I guess you were supposed to like Lazar and Ana, but...no. Nothing in them made me like them, or anyone for that matter.

I am not saying this was bad fantasy, it was exotic, and my friend loved it. That just shows that her and I have different taste in fantasy. I like mine more epic, high fantasy, and this one at times could have been some harem in Turkey, if it wasn't for a tiny bit of magic.

Not the fantasy for me, but she did write well so it's up to each to decide.


4 comments:

  1. Hi! You won the copy of My Lady of Cleves. If you will email me your address, I will get it in the mail to you. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Löysin sivusi sattuman kautta Dear Author-sivuston kautta. Luen jonkun verran samaa kirjallisuutta kuin sinä, joten käy kurkkaamassa sivujani :) Kirjojen takakannen kuvauksen jälkeen saatan kirjoitella joitain epämääräisiä ajatuksia siihen loppuun, mutta ei minusta ole miksikään viralliseksi arvostelijaksi - minä kun satun rakastamaan lähes kaikkea mitä luen ;) Valitettavasti en pysty laittamaan blogimerkintöihini kommentti-osiota, mutta tarvittaessa minuun saa yhteyden blogissani esiintyvän sähköpostiosoitteen kautta. Ja enköhän minä käy kurkkaamassa ja kommentoimassa näille sivuillesi nyt kun ne satuin löytämään :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiitos, ja tulee takaisin :)

    Right, Dear author was the 17 books giveaway, for some reason I thought of it as some other place.

    Dunno how to put that blog thingie either...should figure that out.

    Menen sinun nyt

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP