Friday 11 December 2009

Review: A Duke to die for - Amelia Grey


A Duke to Die For by Amelia Grey
The Rogues' Dynasty, book 1

Genre: Historical Romance
Pages: 384
Published: April 2009

The handsome fifth Duke of Blakewell is more interested in card parties, horse racing, and carousing than in settling down to manage his extensive estate and vast fortune. When young Miss Henrietta Tweed arrives on his doorstep and announces he's her new guardian, she also tells him that a family curse accompanies her, and each of her previous guardians has met an untimely end. Finding her remarkably capable and cool-headed, Blake sets about to get her a husband, but finds something wrong with every one of her suitors.

When Blake suffers a series of accidents, Henrietta is more than ever convinced she must free him from the cursed guardianship. Just as Blake realizes he wants nothing more than to marry her himself.



Nothing like a cute little historical romance now and again. But I have found out that I have the most stupid pet peeve. I grew up with Cartland and other "nice" writers of romance. So now every time some one has sex, I shake my head and tell her in a stern voice, what improver behavior for a young lady. You will never get married now! Sometimes it works for me, but here I just shook my head. I mean that is so silly, if this had taken place 100 years later I would have just shouted , you go girl!

So yes there was sex, no one missed that after my little conservative speech. I honestly think I will never get over it because I know better and I know they would have been ruined. Luckily they always get to marry the man who ruins them ;) Though here the first sex scene, well I mean I would have been broken after it. She didn't seem that affected that he just went out and left her. For a naive girl who hadn't even been kissed before him that was weird behaviour.

Ok enough with my conservative blabber. I blame Barbara Cartland!

She was a sweet naive girl who believed that there was a curse upon her, and her guardians sure kept on dropping like flies. In comes her last guardian, a handsome young duke and my attention had been earned. She wants to be independent, he wants to see her married and gone from him. Well we all know that things are not that simple, nope, she falls for him, and there are some situations where he fights his emotions, or should I say lust. He, a no good rake has fallen for her too. But of course she has this stupid notion about a curse, or is it stupid?

No kick in the back for these, yes they should have known they were in love, but they were just so clueless that is was sweet. And he was really cute and smart at the end. I liked them as a couple, and there was some nice scenes were things started to get steamy.

Good side characters, I liked his cousins, they have the next two books, so good to see more of them. Their uncle Gibby was a sweet old man, and I find myself liking Blake's old mistress Constance. i never like the old mistresses, but Grey had put it so nicely. They had slept together, and realized they were just to be friends. Gotta love that. I'd like to see her in a book too, the widow who gets married again.

A sweet and easy read that kept my attention through out the book.


Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: Nope not liking it, no head on him, and she is turned away. Oh I just saw, rather girly lips on him.
Reason 4 Reading: Own copy
Final thoughts: You never go wrong with a historical romance now and again.



17 comments:

  1. Oh, this one sounds cute! I just bought an Amelia Gray book this week but I can't remember if it was this one or not...I think it was :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a nice little story. And I personally like some sex scenes in a romance, even if it's not consistent with the time period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "So no every time some one has sex, I shake my head and tell her in a stern voice, what improver behavior for a young lady. You will never get married now!"

    Heh--I like the way you think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patti,
    Lol I hope you check which one so you do not buy it again ;)
    But yes it was a cute easy read and I adore those.

    Carol,
    I have been fed Cartland, where they only kiss at the end, sighs, she ruined me ;)

    Sadako,
    Lol, yup that is me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice review..I won this and need to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never read this author but from your review it sounds like it was a fun and entertaining read.

    Thanks for the recommendation!

    ;) VFG

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sound like a cute, sweet story. Lovely review, girl! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read her 'Never a Bride' a few years ago and will absolutely take a look at this one thanks for the review.
    Have a brilliant weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mandi,
    *twas nice, and I do wonder about his cousins, they seemed so fun :)

    VFG
    So nice to read an easy book that did not take much effort. just what I was needing.

    Janna
    You are welcome :)I do like cute adn sweet

    Yvonne
    It was a nice story, even if I am a horrible conservative prude when it comes to sex in ye olden days ;)

    Romantic
    Hm, dunno what that book is, must go check :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree with your rant. I think that too. Story sounds quite nice and his lips really look girly.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm just finishing the second book of this series, A Marquis to Marry - review half written - and I really enjoyed it. It was light and fun with intelligent hero and heroine. When I was about half way through, I had to check to see if the first one - A Duke to Die For - was in the store. And it was so I happily bought it. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed the first one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susi,
    I know right, very girly ;) I should not complain, bf sure has lovelier lips than I do. Just not so girly.
    Hehe glad to hear I am not alone.

    Kristie
    Cool, I have the 2nd book too :D I am very glad to hear that one is good too. Can't wait to get to it now and read more

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like sweet and easy. Isn't it funny how in the books they lose their virginity and end up marrying that man but I wonder how often that happened in real life??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stai,
    I do think about that, and yeah fat chance for those girls to marry then. All men was not that sweet and understanding, even if they were th bad guy

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK - My review of To Marry a Marquis is up now *g*.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP