Thursday 3 December 2009

Review: Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead + guestblogging


Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Book 1

Genre: YA paranormal
Pages: 336
Published: 2007

St. Vladimir's Academy isn't just any boarding school, t's a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They've been on the run, but now they're being dragged back to St. Vladimir's, he very place where they're most in danger.

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy's ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi, he world's fiercest and most dangerous vampires, make Lissa one of them forever.



This is about teen vampires, and their guardians. Those are so called dhampirs, half human half vampire. There are also the strigoi, those vamps and alike that have gone over to the dark side. I read that she had borrowed these things from Romanian vampire and I liked the different mixes. That the vampires had noble families and how the dhampirs was treated sometimes. The history and those things were ok.

But it does feel so very YA, teen angst, cliques, drinking, sex. Drama and more drama. Those parts just made me realise why I stopped reading YA in the first place.

Rose, well she is just so so, angry, slutty, made me wonder about her self respect at times. I actually liked Lissa more, too bad we didn't see much of her. She had just more of everything.  And I liked the what if she slips to the dark side angle. But yes they worked together, but I still did not like Rose.

As for other characters, I did like Christian. His anti-social status, no on liking him and darkness. He was a good character. Dimitri, well he was hunky, but can't he look at girls his own age.

Oh and then there was drama girl, oh sighs, the drama, too much to bare. They spent the entire book at the Academy so yes a lot of teens, and drama, and mean girls.

It's not that I did not like it, no it was ok, but too much drama more me. Mean girls with vampires .

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner:The girl looks to bitchy, I do not like this cove at all. Oh and she looks like Angelina Jolie, scary.
Reason for reading: My own copy
Final thoughts: If you like vampires, with a bit of romance and drama then yes. It was ok.



I am guestblogging today over at Booklust. Aarti has this fun feature called Rosie's Riverters. 
Go have a look :)





22 comments:

  1. Your negative reviews always make me laugh. Teen angst and drama are definitely not things I enjoy. I have heard a lot about this series- I'm sad you didn't like it as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should try reading the second book and see whether you'll learn to love Rose. I've like this series and it just keeps getting better and better. I've already hooked my work colleague to this series :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds way too teen-agey for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm sorry you didn't like this book! I loved the angst and the cliques! I also think Ms. Mead used Rose's "questional behavior" as a way to show her growth throughout the book and especially the series. And yes, as a parent, I knew Dmitri should not be looking where he was looking but I couldn't help myself and against all my morals (I told myself since it is a fictional story LOL) I rooted for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi :)
    Thank you for the thoughtful review. I read it too & thought the teen drama & emotions, etc captured high school perfectly. *grin* The characters mature as the series continues much like the Potter series. I hope you give Book Two a chance.
    :)
    Thank you again for sharing,
    All the best,
    Rob
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this one about a year ago and wasn't that drawn in by it. I think it was because the main character was pretty abrasive. However, so many people swoon over the series, I've recently decided to pick up the second book and give the series another shot. We'll see. I actually don't mind angst and enjoy YA, but I want to feel more connected with the main character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aarti,
    Lol, I am here to make you laugh, you know that ;)
    I have heard only good things too, but all the angst and drama. I could have read it when I was that age, but now..hm

    Maija,
    I do get why she is like she is, but then there is everyone else too. So it was ok, and sure if I happen to run into a book in the library I'll read them, but that is it. perhaps they do get better, let's hope so.

    Carol,
    Oh they really were, I mean I have read a lot of YA lately, but most have not been that YA. This one was

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patti,
    Good for you :) For me, nah not so much. And yes I did understand her, but she was so so, not all act like that. Oh I am getting old (well close to his age anyway) so it felt very, look away guy tsk...even if I too rooted for them ;)

    Rob,
    Well that is sure, it sure captures that age. I just do not like to read about it, I have enough reading about bitchy adults. Hopefully the library will get them, cos the bookstore does have them in Swedish so perhaps.

    Roni,
    Same for me, there has to be a connection. I mean it started nicely enough and I did like it. But there was too much of some things, not enough Strigoi, and I could not connect to her...perhaps I will be able to read more one day since it was ok. But not enough for me to buy the 2nd. Too much else to get

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL..I thought you said you liked it just a little less than me.

    I see Rose as more of a real teenager. She likes sex..I personally don't think that makes her slutty...but I totally see where you are coming from :) The whole mean girls thing..yeah - that took a bit away from it for me too.

    I loved Christian!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mandi,
    Dunno why I always sound so harsh when ti comes to ok books, perhaps I am more disappointed in them than bad books...so ok just slightly less than you ;)

    It is more on the way she does it, not cos she want just because. Cos others expect it. And yes totally not slutty in a way, as you know. But still..hm, yes.

    Oh those mean girls, so not for me

    Hehe Christian was fun, but then I always like the dark ones

    ReplyDelete
  11. No wonder the teen girls eat this series right up!!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awe man, really?? This wasn't very good? I bought a couple of these books in the hopes of finding a YA series that I could maybe like. Hmmm....I'm not a fan of teen drama. That's why I despised high school. Hmmm........

    ReplyDelete
  13. **ducking head** I have not read this series, I have not touched this series, I have not seen this series.... And I am not sure if I want to. But you did a great, honest review honey and that is all we can ask for!!!!
    Hopping over to see your guest blog!!
    I hope you had a great day/night and wonderful tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you enjoy your next read better. I'm off now to see what you have done at Booklust.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think that I would have enjoyed this book either, all of that teenage drama wouldn't appeal to me!
    Hugs, Bethxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. These books look good fun to me! But not sure if I would enjoy it either. Maybe I'm too old? LOL

    Sassy Brit
    Alternative-Read.com
    *Giveaways*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Staci,
    It is a teen girls heaven.

    VFG
    Oh I hear you, *shudders* HS, ok mine was not that bad (I have watched to much tv really.) But I can't stand drama and bitchiness.
    but hey do NOT listen to me. Everyone else seems to love these books and it was ok, but less drama could have made it great.

    Cecile,
    Thanks for hopping over :D I choose Steph in the end, but I did think about Mercy Thompson, Kattniss and a whole lot more.
    Thanks, my honesty seems to go in over load when it comes to ok books, so strange.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Romantic,
    I sure hope so too :)
    Thanks for going over. it is a fun feature

    Beth,
    I know, one reason why I stopped watching Gossip Girl after one ep.

    Sassy,
    Nah, you are not too old, my problem was just not connecting and too much teen drama. Not a good combo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi B!

    You have me cracking up here!! Mean girls with vampires, I love it!

    Great review, I haven't tried this series yet, but now I might to see what all the drama is about!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Dottie!
    Oh do, I am sure you will love it, I always end up thinking the best books are just ok. Funny really, but yes it was the drama

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't think Vamps rock your boat....

    I love how you sum up a book...

    Fun post my dear..

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  22. EH
    That can be the case, those poor vamps can't get my blood flowing anymore

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP