Thursday 10 December 2009

Review: Graceling - Kristin Cashore

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Genre: YA fantasy
Pages: 480
Published: 2008

Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight - she's a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king's thug. She never expects to fall in love with beautiful Prince Po. She never expects to learn the truth behind her Grace - or the terrible secret that lies hidden far away, a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.


 I will once again go against the flow. I have heard great things and I expected so much, but honestly, it was ok, nothing more nothing less.

Katsa was supposed to be really dangerous, and everyone was scared of her since she killed her cousin when she was eight. She saw herself as a monster, a beast, well, yes that is ok, but I was not scared of her. I know she was doing all these kinds of right things so make herself feel better. But I wanted to be scared of her, at least a tiny bit. To see her as others saw her. But there was nothing. And that actually went on through the entire book. It was rather sweet. This was a killer, there was blood, treats, but that atmosphere did not change and the book felt too cute.

Other than the overall cuteness of the book, and that I never felt oh no danger danger, Katsa was a good heroine. I liked her, she was nice. Po was a cutie too, and they made a good couple. if you can call them that.

Which brings me to my other point, ok yes yes she is all kick ass and stuff, but does she has to go out of her way to be so anti-girl, I hate my hair, cut it off, I do not want babies or a relationship. This love story, yikes. Just cos she is anti-woman does not mean she can't be in a relationship, that does not mean you give up your freedom, and that you can only see each other a few times in a year because or else my freedom will suffer.

Ok by now you might have seen that this is turning out to be one of those negative reviews. But it was ok, and that is the problem. I always get so disappointed when a book turns out to be ok. I always expect more and had so from this one. But it was too cute, too YA. Too simplistic.

 But yes do not listen too me, I always find faults in ok books. They just makes me sad cos they have so much potential, and I expected more.


Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: I do like both, the first really shows how she is, and the other is rather mysterious. Nice covers.
Reason 4 reading: Borrowed from a friend
Final thoughts: Everyone else loves it so go on give it a try.



23 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I was looking forward to this. Disappointing. - Parajunkee

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was interesting to read your take on this book. Part of what makes book blogging so fun is seeing how books affect people differently. I loved the book, but thought you did a good job stating why it wasn't great for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate when books don't live up to my expectations...

    Hopefully the next book you read will make a difference...

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is definitely a different reaction to this book! I am not sure when I'll get to it. I had planned to read it this month some time, but now I'm not sure if I will read it before or after I start Joe Abercrombie's First Law series. Decisions, decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great, and as always, honest review! This is one of the books I have high on my wishlist but I'm a bit afraid that I'll feel the same way as you did about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww...I'm sorry you didn't like this one more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blodeuedd, oh I am sorry. Sorry that it did not live up to what you expected. I know how much you see in your books and to have one to quiet get there, I am sorry. But you are right, still try it because it might be for someone else. I do love the cover, very strong.
    Well maybe next time! Can't absolutely love them all! lol!
    Hope you are having a great night and a wonderful tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a shame! Sometimes the cover and the blurb make a book look and sound so exciting, with so much potential - it's disappointing to say the least, when it turns out it didn't live up to your expectations. But thanks for the great, honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Parajunkee,
    Well since I am the only one who has not thought it was excellent, then I am sure you can still look forward to it ;)

    Thanks Alyce,
    I do not like saying negative things. But when it comes to ok books that I expected to be great then I just have to say why they did not rock my boat.

    EH
    Oh yes me too, I expected so much by this one, and when it fell short, made me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aarti,
    At least I do not think she is a Mary Sue ;) Do give it a go, I would love to see what you think about it

    Ladybug,
    One never knows, you could be like the 99% who adore this book.

    Yvonne,
    It was really disappointing. My friend did not like it either and cos of that I thought I would love it cos we do not share teh same taste.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cecile,
    The covers are truly stunning. Too bad the book didn't live up to all the praise I had heard. Maybe YA fantasy is not for me after all. But this futuristic YA is totally worth it, hm...
    And yes can't love them all, gotta have those ok ones too.
    Have a great weekend Cecile!

    Sassy
    That is what I am here for. I guess it can be good with a review like this too, between all those who praise it

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got this one at home and can't wait to start it!
    And I so know what you mean about okay books. I always have a list of bad things and can't find the words for the good ones! Crazy, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's such a bummer when an anticipated book is only "ok" And the heroine doesn't sound all that peachy :S

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you have quite a right to go against the flow. That's the beauty of reading, we don't all have to like the same thing. I didn't read this book but I have heard nothing but praise until I read your review and to be honest with you I get suspicious of books that get nothing but glowing reviews. I myself usually don't like them all that much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susi
    Oh yes, with amazing books I can find words, with good books I find myself short, with ok books I go all negative, lol
    I hope you will love it more than i did :D

    Sassy :)

    Leontine
    She was..neutral, strange of a killing machine. But yes it was disappointing

    Lilly
    Thanks, I guess some one must. I do not believe everyone can love a book. There are always people who will not like it, either the story or the writing. With this book that person seems to be me. it is only good for a book to get some bad ones too, cos I am like you, I get suspicious

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. I bought this one because of all the rave reviews. Not sure if I want to read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had this out from the library but had to return it without reading it. Maybe that was just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vivienne
    Let's hope that is not the case. i just don't think I can do YA fantasy, I need war and bloody murder. And this is too sweet

    Carol,
    Perhaps, though the rest of the world loves it, oh and such an easy read, took me no time at all

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have this one and I'm also looking forward to reading it because of all the positive reviews I read so far. I'm still hoping it's more than an okay book for me. Sorry this one didn't live up to the hype for you - I hate when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Donna
    I hope it will be more than ok for you too! but yes I do hate when it happens but what can one do

    ReplyDelete
  21. There is nothing wrong with going against the grain. I have this at home and plan to read in 2010, so I'll let you know. I am sometimes like you and don't enjoy the ones everybody raves about.
    Thank you for honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jenny,
    I am sure looking forward to your review then (and secretly hoping to find one other person who only thought it was ok too ;)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP