Wednesday 27 April 2011

Review. The Greyfriar - Clay Griffith and Susan Griffith

Series: Vampire Empire 1
Genre: Steampunk /paranormal/adventure/alternate history
Pages: 301
Published: 2010, Pyr

Vampire predators run wild in this exciting steampunk adventure, the first in an alternate history trilogy that is already attracting attention. In 1870, monsters rise up and conquer the northern lands, As great cities are swallowed up by carnage and disease, landowners and other elite flee south to escape their blood-thirsty wrath. One hundred fifty years later, the great divide still exists; fangs on one side of the border, worried defenders on the other. This fragile equilibrium is threatened, then crumbles after a single young princess becomes almost hopelessly lost in the hostile territory. At first, she has only one defender: a mysterious Greyfriar who roams freely in dangerous vampire regions.

My thoughts:
This book was great! I wished I could have read it all at once instead of bits and pieces here and there. Because it just sucked me in at once, and a few chapters in I already knew I wanted to read book 2.

The book is about Princess Adele of Equatoria. She is touring her Empire and its fringes when attacked by vampires. And such awesome vampires. They are cruel and evil. They treat people like cattle, they never create anything new, they are parasites that took over everything in the North and pushed humans to the south. Those that they did not drink and kill. The mythology and creation of these horrible vampires are amazing, and that also include the new Human empires that emerged after the fall of mankind. It may be the year 2020 but Equatoria still rely on steam, but they do have airships, other than that the world has not moved forward much.

I liked Adele as the heroine that is taken deep into enemy territory. She still had courage and behaved like a princess. No one could pressure her to anything. She also had depth in her. The other great character in this book is Prince Gareth, the heir to the Vampire Clan in England, but he is living alone in Scotland. He was so strange, and I wanted to know more. He asked questions and he saw that their society could not live on. And of course I, loving HEAs and such, wanted these two together. She with someone whose people see humans as cattle, and him with someone whose people wants death to all vampires. Yes, as you can see, it's totally and utterly doomed. But a girl can hope.

This book was thrilling, it kept me turning page after page, hoping, wishing and fearing. There is no turning back. There can only be one winner and the vampires are truly evil so it should not be them. There is adventure, and a haunting Europe,  a bloody Europe. A bloody good book.

If I have to say something negative, oh I can't say it, cos it might just be a spoiler. So sorry there.

Conclusion:
I want more, I need more. Another book is coming out this spring, but I really want to read it now. I was enchanted by this world, even if it made me sad. I highly recommend this book to everyone.

Is it Fall yet?

Rating:
Page-turner

Cover:
Bit dark, but ok

Source: Publisher

36 comments:

  1. I loved this one and I can't wait for the second!!
    It was a really different sort of vampire book. Still had the romance but they were creepy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review, B :) I've had the Greyfriar on my wishlist for awhile. I think I need to buy a copy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound good, although I am not a big fan of steam punk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally and utterly doomed, huh?!... But a girl can hope... Oh, I like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this on my wishlist! I have been hearing great things about the book!
    Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tori really liked this one too! I still need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it sounds like you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Believe it or not but I liked it too, I liked it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to know you loved it, but this one is not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. when you want and need more than you have my attention for sure. This sounds like a great series!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A bloody good book. Perfect. Oh I've been wanting this one for a while now. I really need to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YAY! So glad you loved this one too, I couldn't get enough of Gareth and Adele. That note at the end just about broke my heart, I love them and want them together so badly! Fantastic review:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh this sounds good! And it sounds like a different kind of vampire book. This went to my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've wanted to pick up this book for a while and your review has made me want it even more! I love it when a princess actually has some depth. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought the book was enjoyable enough but I didn't love it. I don't really remember much about it anymore but I do remember wishing that the Greyfriar's identity had been kept secret for longer to increase the mystery and suspense. I felt the store really lost it's edge by giving that up so early on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love a good page turner!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like another great read. If they did get together it would be a great forbidden romance thats for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been wondering about steampunk. I haven't read any and I'm really not quite sure about them. This book sounds like a good one to start with though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. yahooooooo! for steampunk. i've heard of this one and have been meaning to pick it up. glad it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow! I have this one on my WANT list as well. It sounds amazing. And I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it so. :) Sounds like one of those books to read in a lump sum of a weekend for me. ;) Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've heard nothing but great things about this book, and now your review adds to that. I hope you get to read the next book soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Karen
    They were so creepy! I would have run screaming at once, and then died. But then vampires should be monsters.

    Ladybug
    Yes you do need to a buy a copy! I wasn't sure if it was for me cos of something I heard. But I really wanted to read it so I am glad I listened to my instinct

    Vivienne
    There is not much around, honestly just the airships. So no biggie

    Cherry
    Hihi, yes I should not even laugh..doooooomed

    Misha
    it was amazing, I truly want book 2 now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mandi
    It was just amazing! Do read it :D

    Naida
    Oh I sure did :D

    Ana
    Yay, perhaps this makes it the first book we both liked then ;)

    Aurian
    Too bad cos it does rock ;)

    Staci
    That is sure a great sign and...this one will totally make my top 2011 booklist this year

    Melissa
    I sure hope you get it, and love it, because it was just, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jenny
    Oh the note, the note! Anything else would have been silly, but still I wished and hoped for it

    Elysium
    It was really different, no cuddly vampires here. If they saw you they would cut your throat and drink you. People were only cattle and beneath them

    Mel
    Read it read it!!! Lol, great book :D

    Simcha
    It was different for me cos I knew the secret. I must have read a spoiler, but sure it might have lost something there

    Chris
    :D Then you'd love this one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jenny
    I cant say anything, this book is one big spoiler

    Yvonne
    There is not too much steampunk. Cos it's not steampunk in a way either. Anyway airships is all there is. And nasty vamps

    VVB
    read it! I am sure you would enjoy it too

    Melissa
    Totally one of those books! I sneaked it with me to work and read a few pages when I had the time :D

    Carrie
    It so was

    Missie
    It is a must read. So strange and haunting, and good

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lol - no need to wonder if you liked this one. I'm glad it was such a great read for you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Darlene
    Hihi, yes it's pretty obvious :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. I enjoy a good vampire book but I am unsure bout this.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I've been waiting to pick it up this summer, I'm really excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Liz
    It was good! But yes the vamps were...just plain old mean

    Jennifer
    I hope you will enjoy it too because it was so good and different

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fabulous review! I've never even heard of this book or series before! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much, I have placed it on my TBR list. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Steampunk and vampires - winning combination!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Deanna
    Then I am glad that you head about it now cos it was just awesome

    Steph
    It worked perfectly, they are meant to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've read so many awesome reviews for this one! It sounds amazing!!! =D

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Larissa
    You should def check it out :D

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP