Wednesday 20 August 2014

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown - Holly Black

Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown’s gates, you can never leave.

One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself.

My thoughts:
I have only read one book by her before but it was dark. I like that, the world is not all roses and sunshine. Especially not when you throw in vampires. 

Tana lives in a world where vampires came out by mistake. Now some are free, and some are stuck in Coldtowns. Together with humans who wants to become vampires, and those who are infected. And those unfortunate souls who got stuck behind. It's not a fair system, it's unfair and cruel at times. But that's life.

After a massacre at a party she flees with her infected friend. There is only one place to go. She could be safe or not so I got why she had to go there. And there she sees cruelty by humans and vampires. It's a dark and cold world, but there is also kindness.

The one thing I was not a fan of was the romance. I am sorry but I am so over some 100 year old falling for a teen. If I was that old I would not fall for some silly slip of a boy or girl who was all angst and teen issues. I got why he had to be old, I got why she had to be young (this is YA) but it's just so done!

Conclusion:
Still, a good story, even if she was a bit perfect at times. Suddenly nothing could take her down. And there was no blurb for book 2 so now I am do want to know what happens.

Cover
eh

Paperback, 422 pages
Published February 6th 2014 by Indigo

YA, paranormal romance
Own

54 comments:

  1. I hate perfect characters....as you know. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would think after 100 years he would want a more mature woman, but then again the younger they are the longer they stay with him before they pass on..unless he bites her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One would think, sigh.
      LOL, well that makes sense, but still, who wants to fall for a teen when you are that old

      Delete
  3. Unfortunately, I didn't liike this one at all, which was odd because I adored her other books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had issues, but it was good...but with issues. If I had been another mood I might have thought the book was not as good ;)

      Delete
  4. I wasn't crazy about this one but I know I am in the minority.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really was excited to read this one and then the reviews were rather mixed so I passed. I don't think I would like the romance either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's just say, half good, half bad. So it got a rating in the middle

      Delete
  6. This is on my list. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't remember much about the romance, so I guess I wasn't impressed either. I did like the heroine in the story so it was okay with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty sure this would not be a book for me, and I have to agree with you on the age thing. Even at 38, being hit on by someone in their early twenties is too much for me. I just want to pinch their cheeks and send them back to mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Right! I know that the 100 year old is supposed to be young in body for vampire, but, come on. 100 years old, she is like a fetus to him

      Delete
  9. I listened to this on audio and enjoyed it and hope for a second book too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen this one around and I added it to my wishlist. Not a fan of the 100 year old vampire falling for the angsty teen either though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dnf'd this one but I still think it has great potential in the 2nd book :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, she was a little Mary Sue-ish at times. But I still liked the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been better without those tendencies though

      Delete
  13. All I've seen are positive reviews for this. I haven't read a vampire book in a long ass time, I'm planning on Kagawa to reintroduce me, I should probably add this to the mix... whenever that time comes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dare not read Kagawa again, I liked her first book but then it fell aprt for me

      Delete
  14. This has been on my reading list for a while, I'm hoping I can get the audiobook from the library one of these days.

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed Black's Tithe and her Curse Workers Trilogy is a favorite of mine but I think I'll skip this. It doesn't seem to be her best work from what I've heard.

    ReplyDelete
  16. With a few changes it would have been better. Ditch the romance and her being so freaking awesome

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vampires?? I was sure it was about zombies! And I hate zombies so that's why I haven't read this book. Now I want to pick it up :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. lol I didn't want to fall for a teen when I was a teen! ::snort:: And dang that's a big oops outing themselves. lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh it's too bad for the romance. I heard great things about this one and I confess I'm quite curious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had read so many mixed reviews for this one that I just passed it on. I don't think it would be for me.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if I enjoyed parts of it, I would not say I would recommend it

      Delete
  21. Hmmm . . . I'm going to wait on this one, b/c as much as I love Holly Black, I hate not knowing, and I haven't heard any plans for a second book either . . .

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't think I will like this one. I'm also over teen girl with 100+ man. It doesn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think I heard there wasn't going to be a book 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sucks, not that I am dying to read more but because this was not an ending

      Delete
  24. I really liked Gavriel and would happily read an entire series about him. Overall, I enjoyed most of this book and want more books set in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  25. lol- I like to know what happens too, even if the first book was only so so! I too find it ridiculous that the old vampires can fall in love with ordinary teens. That for me is a believability stretch and the rest of the book better be top notch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do still love to write about it, and I will always go all come on!!! I could do 20s, but a teen. Gods, I would not have wanted to date me if I was 100

      Delete
  26. Thank you for the head's up! I have this one, and I am on the fence about reading it ASAP. Some people loved it, but some people complained about the romance, and I am a bit worn out on the romance aspect of books at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have it, then no hurry, it will still be there next year

      Delete
  27. Glad you enjoyed this. I also wonder if there will be a book two!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP