Tuesday 25 November 2014

The look of love - Sarah Jio

Born during a Christmas blizzard, Jane Williams receives a rare gift: the ability to see true love. Jane has emerged from an ailing childhood a lonely, hopeless romantic when, on her twenty-ninth birthday, a mysterious greeting card arrives, specifying that Jane must identify the six types of love before the full moon following her thirtieth birthday, or face grave consequences. When Jane falls for a science writer who doesn’t believe in love, she fears that her fate is sealed. Inspired by the classic song, The Look of Love is utterly enchanting. 

My thoughts:
The magical realism books I have read are so magical, so in that way I do not want to call this that. Even though it is.

Jane is a normal woman, she loves her flowershop, she has good friends, and life is good. Just, she has never been in love. And then she is told she has a year to find 6 different kinds of love, or else she will never find love for herself.

Jane can see love, she has always been able, she has just not known it. And here the magical thing comes in. Her vision gets blurry when she sees love. But doctors says she has a tumor and that it might kill her. So, can she actually she love, or is her brain slowly dying?

The book was good, easy, fun, a bit tragic and just good. The pages flew by. I liked Jane, I hoped the best for her. And I liked her friends that all had their stories in there too, all while she searched for the truth.

It also made me want to read more books by this author, and luckily she has a few out already ;) Win win for me.

Conclusion:
Recommended. 

Cover
eh


Paperback, 320 pages
Published November 25th 2014 by Plume
Fiction
For review

41 comments:

  1. the cover does not do the story justice

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really different. Brain tumor - or love…lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another eh on the cover but that sounds like a lovely story. Is there a HEA with it?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm anxiously awaiting for this one from the library. I have enjoyed her other books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hoping to snag a copy of this. I adore magical realism and I have read one other book by this author, The Bungalow and I really liked it. I am adding this to the old TBR>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore it too :) It's just well real and magical ;)
      And I do need to try more of her books

      Delete
  6. This sounds good and different. I like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So magical realism but not? I've read those. This one sounds interesting. Not a fan of the cover either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, just, does not have that magical feeling, it is more real

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure you'll have a random month off soon enough and I'll be jealous. :)

      Delete
  9. This sounds like a fun Christmas book. I don't think I'd want her power though. I really hope that she's not just dying, that sort of ruins the happy feel of the book. A bit tragic? Now I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a HEA; so do not worry :)
      But the tragedy is more in the romances around her

      Delete
  10. I enjoy magical realism I am so happy you have a new author to enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  11. How quaint! I'm about to give up on my current read coz I'm not in the mood for UF, I should scour my bookshelf for something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then do read this. I always unwind with fiction now and then

      Delete
  12. I seem to have a hard time when things are categorized as "magic realism" because that just still comes too close to contemporary for me usually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one comes closer than usual. But it still is it, cos of the whole Love thing

      Delete
  13. I love this author and look forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I didn't know about this one but it sounds in my alley! I'm curious it sounds well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read one of her early novels and liked it so I'll add this to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love when I find a new to me author I thoroughly enjoy who has several books out already so I can go back and binge read all of them. That's the best:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nope, Im not a fan of the cover for this one either but the whole magical realism that isn't magical realism has me intrigued! Ill have to give this one a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds fantastic! I've never read anything by this author, and it sounds like I'm missing out.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP