Thursday 26 May 2016

The Fairest of them all - Cathy Maxwell

The penniless orphan of a disreputable earl, Lady Charlene Blanchard thrives on the adventure of picking the pockets of unsavory gentlemen to survive. But due to her extraordinary beauty and prized bloodlines, she is hand-chosen as a potential bride for the Duke of Baynton, who is on the hunt for a suitable wife to provide heirs. All Char has to do is act the part she was born to play and charm a duke she’s never laid eyes on into proposing. Except the duke turns out to be the tall, dark and sexy stranger who just caught her red-handed as a thief! 

Or is he? Jack Whitridge is the duke’s twin who had “gone missing” over ten years ago. Now back in England, he knows that the supposed Lady who has his brother’s love is hardly duchess material—except he needs her to save his adopted country from war. He is willing to bargain with her heart, until he finds himself falling for Char . . .  

My thoughts:
First, poor poor Duke of Daynton! Ok so I have not read book 1 and see how he was there, but he lost his fiancee there to another man..his brother.

And here, omg, poor Duke! He is loosing again!

You all know the premise. Pretty girl to marry a Duke, but she falls for his brother. And most of the time in those books I do not feel that bad. I am all they are meant to be! Or, he is an idiot! Or, something else. But here, I felt really really bad for him. First he seemed like such a sweetie. Yes he was awkward, strict, cos his dad was so tough with him and he had to be so perfect. And yes he makes mistakes, but then he tells this secrets and my heart melted, and broke at the same time. I just wanted to hug him.

And look, half this review has been about my crush on a certain Duke. But seriously, when he tells that secret, you will want to hug him..and marry him.


I should say something about Charlene and Jack...but someone else just stole the spotlight!

Charlene picks pockets. Jack is the Duke's long lost brother. He has been staying in America. These two meet and later meet again, alas it is too late and she is promised to another. But they want each other, they learn to know each other...all while another heart is breaking. That would be mine, cos Char should totally have picked a certain other brother. Ok fine, fine, she will be really happy with Jack. They are perfect for each other. And the next book will be about the Duke, and I know his match now. They will fit each other, still, saaaad! Poor Duke *hugs him*

I have never talked about a side character this much before, I might have a crush.

Conclusion:
But hey, the book was good, even if the poor Duke was again heartbroken.

Cover
nice

ebook, 384 pages
Expected publication: May 31st 2016 by Avon
Marrying the Duke #2
Historical romance
NG

35 comments:

  1. The side characters often steal my heart in romance novels! Hopefully book 3 will give the Duke the love story he's been needing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the Duke will get his own book next? I love it when a side character has me rooting for them to have their own book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will finally get this book then. poor guy

      Delete
  3. Poor Duke. Maybe he'll find true love in the next one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, cos he has the worst of luck

      Delete
  4. So you're in a HF streak,huh? :) I really should read one - at least. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First review in 2 weeks, would not say that :)

      Delete
  5. Ha! got confused because I didn't think the Duke was the hero...oh well at least he gets a book.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha you make me laugh. I've listened in the past to a Cathy Maxwell audiobook and this sounds rather good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never know whether or not to be happy or annoyed when a side character steals the show - it's like, oh I love him, but should this even be happening?! I'm glad you enjoyed this though :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure others would think he stole it ;) But my poor heart felt for him

      Delete
  8. He loses out twice? Poor duke, indeed! But third time's the charm, right?

    Oh, that does sound fun that she picked his pocket and now is part of a new scheme when he shows up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That poor Duke! He just can't hold on to a woman.

      Delete
  9. Poor duke. So many bad romances he has to feature in...;p

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's definitely a side character crush!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh love those character crushes we have!! hehe I am eager to try this one out since I have enjoyed reading this author in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw poor duke! I think he might need your comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor Duke. I love him...and I haven't even read the book yet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love when you get fascinated with a secondary character!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP