Wednesday 28 September 2016

A star shall fall - Marie Brennan

The Royal Society of London plays home to the greatest minds of England. It has revolutionized philosophy and scientific knowledge. Its fellows map out the laws of the natural world, disproving ancient superstition and ushering in an age of enlightenment.

To the fae of the Onyx Court, living in a secret city below London, these scientific developments are less than welcome. Magic is losing its place in the world—and science threatens to expose the court to hostile eyes.

In 1666, a Great Fire burned four-fifths of London to the ground. The calamity was caused by a great Dragon—an elemental beast of flame. Incapable of destroying something so powerful, the fae of London banished it to a comet moments before the comet’s light disappeared from the sky. Now the calculations of Sir Edmond Halley have predicted its return in 1759.

So begins their race against time. Soon the Dragon’s gaze will fall upon London and it will return to the city it ravaged once before. The fae will have to answer the question that defeated them a century before: How can they kill a being more powerful than all their magic combined? It will take both magic and science to save London—but reconciling the two carries its own danger… 


My thoughts:
I read book 1, but I did not read book 2. But for me it worked excellent like this anyway. Book 1 took place 200 years before this one and book 2 100 years before this one. And the main character was not born back then. Though there is this other big POV that they do mention was around in book 2, but I really can't say how much. I got to know her here and that was fine.

Haley's comet is approaching and with it a dragon that wants to destroy London. This London is the normal London and fairy London. The queen of the Onyx court I got to know in book 1 as she got her throne, but here she is only in the background. This book is Lord Galen's, the human consort of the queen. The one who stands in both worlds (though nothing romantic about it, they are not lovers. It is just a title.) Galen was young, he wanted to save the world, and he was totally in love with his queen. Poor thing.

The book is also about a sprite, Lady Irrith that comes back to the Onyx court. She gets involved in court intrigues, meets Galen and is the one that shows more of the fae world.

The next book jumps ahead again so this is it for this crew.

Conclusion:
It's an interesting series, but I do fear for the Onyx court. Iron and all that you know. The world is changing.

Cover
meh
  • Paperback, 595 pages
  • Published September 2016 by Titan (first published January 1st 2010)
  • The Onyx Court #3
  • Historical fiction
  • For review

40 comments:

  1. Actually I kinda like the cover! 😅 I guess I'm the odd one out then! Plus I love the fae world so I'll deffo check it out! :)
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. man thats quite a jump in time between the books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of like the cover. Sounds like a cool series. I enjoy books with the Fae.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I haven't heard of these books before but thanks for putting them on my radar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Royal Society and Faeries? Sounds nice! But those time jumps make me worried a bit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are immortal, kind of boring following them around then and see humans slowly die

      Delete
  6. Oh I'm glad it worked out for you skipping the second book. This does sound interesting and I hope the next book is good for you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an interesting book just not sure it's my type of story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh... I like the cover! It's pretty. This sounds interesting, but what's with 200 years between each book?? Doesn't sound like a very connected series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they need it so they can introduce a new human. Everyone else is connected cos they are still alive

      Delete
    2. Oh! Haha. That would be a good reason!

      Delete
  9. Lovely cover,but I haven't heard of this series before. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A comet carrying a dragon? Interesting! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They banished it to it, but that darn comet came back

      Delete
  11. How do I not know about this series? I love Fae and dragons!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore her Memoir by Lady Trent series, so I really want to check out her other books. If you think this series is interesting, I might give it a look.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the Trent books, and those are sadly better, they are just different :) But these are still good

      Delete
  13. Sadly doesn't spark much for me personally. :/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love dragons!!! I do find it weird that each book is so far apart in time. 100 years is a very long jump between stories. Glad you still enjoyed it.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get where they want to go with it, they want to show how the court evolves and fall more apart. If it was a trilogy set in the 1500s they would just be stuck there in time

      Delete
  15. You had me at "Haley's comet is approaching and with it a dragon that wants to destroy London." It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP