Monday 26 September 2016

Murder at Sorrow's Crown - Steven Savile and Robert Greenberger

It is July 1881, and a frantic mother comes to 221B Baker Street, begging Sherlock Holmes to find her son. A naval officer posted to HMS Dido, he was part of the Naval Brigade that joined the Natal Field Force to fight the Boers. But he did not return with his men, and is being denounced as a deserter.

So begins a twisting tale of assassination, diamond mines and military cover-ups. Can Holmes and Watson uncover the truth, a truth that threatens the very fabric of the British Empire? 


My thoughts:
You know what, I have actually never read a book about Sherlock Holmes. Ok one, but let us not count the monster one. There might have been another mashup too.

I imagine you know about Sherlock Holmes, if not, then you are kind of living under a rock. I am not gonna explain him. He is eccentric, to say the least.

And then there is Watson, and they do compliment each other so well.

This mystery is about a mother wanting answers. And they dig deep and it gets complicated. There is the Boer war, political intrigues and conspiracies. All while trying to find out what happened to a soldier...

I enjoyed the book. It was light, there were a good mystery and Holmes and Watson is quite the pair.


  • Paperback, 320 pages
  • Published September 13th 2016 by Titan Books
  • Historical mystery
  • For review

37 comments:

  1. I haven't either but then again I'm not that into mysteries.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds interesting, why not

    ReplyDelete
  3. While, I know about Sherlock, I don't think I've ever read a book, seen a movie or TV show about him. I only know bits and pieces from popular culture. I really need to expand and try something one day.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing! Whaat? Lol, I have seen those Downey mobies

      Delete
  4. Probably not the right book for me but glad that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the character of Sherlock! But then I love mysteries too. But this isn't an original?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new adventure, but obviously not written by the original author

      Delete
  6. You should try the original. I picked it up a few years ago, and I was surprised by how much I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to try one. I've never read a Sherlock book, but I've now read several which are retellings... so this one will fit nicely with those I've read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read a book about him and I'm not that into movies either. I've seen fe eps of Elementary which was ok.

    ReplyDelete
  9. gah I owned the original books but never read them, glad you enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love when it's a good mystery :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another Monday workday survived - woohoo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes for some Sherlock Homes and Watson!!! I love how Eccentric Sherlock can be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love Sherlock Holmes stories. This looks great. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've read all the original Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle. I'm not sure if I would like one told by a different author, so I'm a little cautious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good that it was light, I thought it would be a little heavy, but now good read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love a good Sherlock story :-)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP