Tuesday 22 May 2018

TMST


Tell Me Something Tuesday is a weekly discussion post on Rainy Day Ramblings where Rainy discuss a wide range of topics from books to blogging. Weigh in and join the conversation by adding your thoughts in the comments. If you want to do your own post, grab the question and answer it on your blog.

May 22nd: Are you more inclined/ less inclined to read books that are compared to other popular books or authors?

Definitely LESS inclined!!!!!! I actually really hate when they do that.

Read this books, it is Fifty Shades meets The Hunger Games meets Game of thrones...riiiights, cos that makes so much sense. Honestly stop it, stop it! When they do that there is always one book I will not like from those. One author whose works makes me yawn or whose books I would never ever read. It does not make me want to read it then. That whole read this cos it's like this turns me away from it.

Even if they said like, this is Harry Potter meets The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy (two awesome series!), I would still be all, come on! Be serious! I doubt it is all that! And I would roll me eyes.

Because it is never like that! They compare and I  am all, whaat? Where is Harry Potter in this? There is certainly no creepy Twilight here. Why was this compared to 50 shades? Hunger Games? What Games?

SO yes, stop it. Or read the actual book and the books you compare it to.


We had 3 cold days! Horrible.

27 comments:

  1. Yeah I don't really like it either, but I have to admit that LibraryJournal likes it's reviewers to make comparisons

    ReplyDelete
  2. argh no, I don't like that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Less for sure, it really irritates me, mostly because it is incorrect most of the time. Also you go in with pre conceived expectations xxx

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so often is! And those times when it is compared with something I hate, then I might just as well have liked it cos most likely it was nothing like it

      Delete
  4. Yep, totally agree. I hate this gimmick. It raises the bar for books and then readers are disappointed when they may not have been. Stupid ploy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The comparison is almost always way off base so it doesn't work for me either.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had examples, but yes sometimes they are just so insane

      Delete
  6. Aww what a cute picture.

    I don't pay attention if books are compared to another. It makes no difference to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. I HATE when they compare books to other books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unless it is another reader comparing books or authors, I ignore the publisher hype.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then it works! I did not think about that

      Delete
  9. I really don't like it when they compare themselves to other authors. Now if an author is saying hey if you like my books you might like *name* I'm okay with that but not the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, but yes if an author did that then I would be all for it!

      Delete
  10. Ugh!!! I hate when they do it on purpose JUST to try and get some of the money...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've come to ignore those comparisons whenever I see them. They just tend to bias me for or against a book and I just don't want to know, especielly when 90% of the time they are so inaccurate! And some books are just in a league of their own and can never be replicated, as you said, like Harry Potter nd Game of Thrones.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I do not want to hear it, not if it is about a book that sucks, not if it is about a book I love. It never ends well

      Delete
  12. SAME! I want books to be able to stand on their own and not be compared to something else. I want them to be different and unique, not like this this and this. It also sets unrealistic expectations.

    L @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never ends well..well it can end well, but it never lives up to what theypromise

      Delete
  13. I get why they do it, but I don't like two things about it which you mentioned- pressure on the book to live up to the comparison and also me not caring for a book its compared to.

    I had an unsolicited review ARC sent to me and I took one look at the comparison and wasn't interested. The blurb was vague enough that I couldn't tell if it was like the other book. Two years later, I read it and ended up having a good time with it- it was nothing like the book it was compared. So, I almost skipped a good book b/c I didn't like the book it was compared to. ;)

    Cutie pic of kitty and kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me the not caring for books compared to is the worst, they should realise that, cos it does turn me off :(

      Delete
  14. I'm with you. If an author is sold as "The next..." I don't want a copy cat. I want someone original! If a friend tells me "the author is like..." then I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP