Tuesday 2 April 2024

TMST

 


 

Tell Me Something Tuesday is a weekly discussion post where bloggers discuss a wide range of topics from books and blogging to life in general. Weigh in and join the conversation by adding your thoughts in the comments. If you want to do your own post, grab the question and answer it on your blog. Feel free to leave your links in the comments if you are participating.





4/2/2024 Are you fluent in more than one language?





Well, I like to think that I am pretty good at English, but who knows.




I can understand Norwegian at times (depends on where they are from), reading is easy. I can read Danish, but damn I struggle with understanding. Not fluent then since I can not speak either of them.




My German is rusty, so no I am not fluent. I think I am at that point that it is so far from school that I can understand but not really speak anymore. I did take 3 years of it.




And last, the bane of my existence, Finnish. The hardest language in the universe. Yes, yes I can understand, obvi, but please do not make me speak it. The grammar is so hard. I make so many mistakes. I aced word exams and understanding, but failed miserably at written things




And for those who went, what, isn´t she Finnish? We have two national languages, mine being the latter, and that is why I have a much easier time with indo-european languages than Finnish. 







4/9/2024 What have you been watching? Share your TV show or movie picks.


4/16/2024 What new-to-you authors have you enjoyed in the past 12 months?


4/23/2024 TBR Update: How is your list coming along?


4/30/2024 Social Media: Where can you be found these days?




Tell Me Something Tuesday is a weekly discussion post where bloggers discuss a wide range of topics from books and blogging to life in general. Weigh in and join the conversation by adding your thoughts in the comments. If you want to do your own post, grab the question and answer it on your blog. Feel free to leave your links in the comments if you are participating.




If you are interested in participating in TMST or receiving periodic emails that list the upcoming TMST topics and questions,  please fill out this GOOGLE FORM.  Participation is optional and never required.




20 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed! I only can speak bits and pieces of couple of languages: Spanish and Armenian. Only because there was a heavy population of those nationalities in Southern California, where I used to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am impressed with your Spanish and Armenian. Bits and pieces are good too

      Delete
  2. Ha I am one of those who was having ? ? appear as I read but now having read all the way through I understand. Never knew there were two languages in Finland. Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, Swedish is the other one cos Finland was a part of Sweden for centuries

      Delete
  3. I only speak English. I took 3 years of Spanish in high school and can still remember a few words but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those HS languages goes in one ear and out the other

      Delete
  4. Well, as a typical American who learned a foreign language in high school (French) which I promptly forgot afterward, I'm impressed with your smattering of reading so many and speaking bits of some. :)

    Sophia Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People say I am good at languages and I am all nah, I am European

      Delete
  5. So what is your native tongue? I am very impressed with your range! I love that you can enjoy books in different languages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Swedish. My ancestors moved here in the middle ages and stayed. I have actually read books in Norwegian and Danish for class.

      Delete
  6. Only really fluent in English. I can read and understand French but don't make me speak it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow - I thought you spoke Finnish and that was your main language.

    I only speak English and you do great! It's tough for English speakers to get it right all the time too with all the crazy, contradictory rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprise! After this many years lol.

      Nah, English is easy. Finnish on the other hand puts endings to words and make them longer and longer, and there the grammar lost me

      Delete
  9. I wish my country put more value in teaching and learning other languages. I am afraid I am only an English speaker. I understand a little Spanish, but am nowhere near fluent. I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living in a country with two languages we are thought the second language, and everyone is taught English of course, and then we also choose another language. But languages are important

      Delete
  10. I can read and write Latin. Can understand some German but, not sure at how good I am at speaking it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I know how to speak Mandarin and Cantonese as well but kind of out of practice!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP