Wednesday 25 September 2024

Carole´s Wednesday: Before we were yours

 


Author: Lisa Wingate
Title: Before We Were Yours
Genre: Historical Fiction
Format: paperback
Pages: 342
Published: June 6, 2017
Where I Got It: My shelf (Gift)


Summary: 
Memphis, 1939. Twelve-year-old Rill Foss and her four younger siblings live a magical life aboard their family’s Mississippi River shantyboat. But when their father must rush their mother to the hospital one stormy night, Rill is left in charge—until strangers arrive in force. Wrenched from all that is familiar and thrown into a Tennessee Children’s Home Society orphanage, the Foss children are assured that they will soon be returned to their parents—but they quickly realize the dark truth. At the mercy of the facility’s cruel director, Rill fights to keep her sisters and brother together in a world of danger and uncertainty.

Aiken, South Carolina, present day. Born into wealth and privilege, Avery Stafford seems to have it all: a successful career as a federal prosecutor, a handsome fiancĆ©, and a lavish wedding on the horizon. But when Avery returns home to help her father weather a health crisis, a chance encounter leaves her with uncomfortable questions and compels her to take a journey through her family’s long-hidden history, on a path that will ultimately lead either to devastation or to redemption.

Based on one of America’s most notorious real-life scandals—in which Georgia Tann, director of a Memphis-based adoption organization, kidnapped and sold poor children to wealthy families all over the country—Lisa Wingate’s riveting, wrenching, and ultimately uplifting tale reminds us how, even though the paths we take can lead to many places, the heart never forgets where we belong.


Review:
My hubby's granny gave me this book after she finished it. She said it was really good and she thought I would like it. 

Here we follow Rill and Avery. Two different people in different times, but connected by secrets and tragedy. In 1939, Rill and her siblings seem to have a great life. They are poor but they are happy being on the river. One night her mother is rushed to the hospital with a difficult birth. While being left in charge, strangers come and kidnap them. They are taken to the Tennessee Children’s Home Society orphanage. Rill fights to keep them all together until they can escape or be saved by their parents. Years later, we have Avery who was born into wealth and privilege. She seems to have it all, but she returns home to help her father weather a health crisis. A chance encounter will leave Avery with uncomfortable questions and a feeling there are secrets she needs to uncover and set to rights. 

This was all based on one of America's most notorious real-life scandals....Georgia Tann was the director of the Memphis-based adoption agency. Thousands of kids were taken from poor families and sold to rich. Some might have gotten there legally, but so many were the products of kidnapping and tricking the biological families. I never knew of this and it breaks my heart. So many of the kids were sold like cattle, abused, and some met worse fates. I for sure did some digging while reading and after finishing the book. Wild. And it angers me Georgia Tann died before any justice could find her. 

This story will suck you in like the high tide. I didn't want to stop reading. I needed to know. I needed to see who was who and who was found. 

This was all so tragic and I for sure cried. Yes, these characters are fake BUT they mirror true stories of real victims. Those poor kids....those poor families....ugh. 

I loved both Rill's side and Avery's side. I kept finding myself upset when we would switch, but then I would get sucked in and then switching back I would be upset. I loved both POVs and I'm glad we got to read both. 

The ending left me breathless. I didn't want the story to end. I was so hopeful. It was bittersweet and a beautiful way to end the book. I'm NOT crying...YOU ARE *sniff*

This for sure has landed on the nominees for best book of the year. I honestly could re-read this. 

All-in-all, this was a wonderful book and I may have book club read this in the future. I'm bursting at the seems to talk about it!! So much to discuss. So much to digest. It was great. Yes, it will make you feel ALL the feelings. I had joy, sadness, ANGER....all of them. 5 stars for sure. 


ONE WORD SUMMARY: Captivating 






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP