Wednesday 20 May 2009

Violet on The Runway - Melissa Walker


Violet on The Runway by Melissa Walker

A wallflower in the spotlight can do two things: wilt-or blossom...

Published: 2007
Age group: YA

Violet Greenfield is your average high school girl, well she would love to be just that, average. As it is now she is too tall, too plain, juts your typical wallflower who secretly wishes to be friends with the It-girls of her high school.

Then one day she is approached by Angela Blythe from Tryst Models in New York. She is told that she could be the next it girl of modeling.

"If it's up to me, Violet Greenfield, I'd say you're the next Kate Moss-but, you know, taller and without the PR problems...I hope!"

First day of school and she has a business card burning in her back pocket. And guess what, she is going to go to New York and try to see if she has what it takes to make it. Without telling any of her friends she will take the big step and see if she gets hired for fashion week, because at least Angela believes in her, but is modeling all it's cracked up to be?


I got this book in a contest, and Melissa had written a short message in it how I should always dream. A good message that echoes through the book. It's not a book that portraits everything as perfect. There are ups and downs, but what I loved in it is that it stays sweet. Some YA books these days seems to have more of sex, drugs and violence than adult books, but not this book. This could be read by a teenager, a kid or an adult. And all will enjoy it. It is that kind of book.

Violet deals with go-sees, and being talked about like she is not there. It's a harsh world where every part of you has faults even if you are perfect. There are jealous models, upset friends, and learning to know who your real friends are and those that only want a part of your spotlight. She has a few bumps in her road coming and they wont be easy.

But she is a strong girl, and I really like her. I would love to be friends with her, she is funny, strong, kind (well all these things for the most part). She does get a bit full of herself but I forgive her. It's only to be expected.

Great old friends too, bitchy models warning, the high school clique girls who annoys me, funny aunt, and a romantic interest in view. A bit of everything and everyone can be found in this book.

It is a great and funny read. And when it ended it left me hanging and I wanted to know more. What would she do next? I wanted to know.

The other books are:
Violet by design
Violet in private




21 comments:

  1. I love Twilight and Harry Potter, but for some reason YA never appeals to me. I should try it. Maybe this one..Violet is my fav girl name:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any YA other than HP and Twilight in the last ten years. I kind of jumped from kids books to harlequin. Nice to look back and see what it's all about.
    And this was a fast, easy read, and I do like that it was sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to read this one because it sounds really good and I will want to pass it on to my daughter when she's ready to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think you are right; most YA fiction I see is too grownup for the intended reader-at least that's what I think. Whatever happen to the fun stuff? Great review : D

    BevE
    Merry Weather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Blodeuedd!

    Well, you know, I love YA, so this is one I'll have to look into. It sounds so sweet, Violet sounds like such a likable character. Like someone maybe I could have been friends with in high school. I was always to the shortest, skinniest, and always with my nose in a book. Well, at least I still have my nose in a book.

    Loved your review!!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you liked Violet! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a book that sounds very good to leave out for the "teenagers" to see... I read it to my daughter and she liked it very much! Thanks for the nice review Blodeuedd!! She will be adding that to her TBB list!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lilly,
    It's sure an very easy and enjoyable book, and if I get a daughter it would be the sort of book I could give to her to read.

    Bev,
    I know, now when I am in a library and look through some YA books I do wonder where the fun and sweet went. Sure there were those more grown up books, and they were thrilling to read. But not every book has to be like that, and when when you're 12, no.
    Lol, I think I am finally grown up when I think like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa,
    It was such a fun book, and I am so glad I won it :D
    It's always nice to find a new author you like.

    Dottie,
    I have a new found respect for YA, and i certainly will read more.
    Lol, I on the other hand was always the tallest girl with my nose in a book. I was rather known for that, you find me, you find a book.

    Cecile,
    I hope she will enjoy it when she read it then :) Cos yes definitely a book to leave out for the teens.
    Now if I only had more

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, thanks for stopping in today for a visit and commenting on my cozy mystery wrap up post. Here is a link to a site that explains what a cozy is. http://www.cozy-mystery.com/Definition-of-a-Cozy-Mystery.html
    They are lots of fun, light entertainment type reading. Enjoy your week and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by kaye,
    And for giving that link. I have not come across cozy mysteries before. Good to learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
  12. a different kind of YA. Definitely looking this one up. Thanks B!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen a few reviews for this book and the other two and they've all been good. They are on my tbr list but you know how that is---much too long. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Blodeuedd:

    Forgive me, I am sadly behind in my blog visiting. Sadly behind. Bad week at work I'm afraid.

    Anyway, lovely review of what sounds to be a cute book.

    Thank you for sharing!

    Your blog is looking awesome by the way. :)

    Warm Regards
    L

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dar,
    Oh yes, you don't have to tell me. Mine has been building up over the years and it's huge by now.

    Lea,
    Thanks Lea, I do enjoy your visits. And no prob, I had internet problems in the week so was catching up at work, hehe, but it was a slow day and no one around all day. And nothing to do

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like fun. I love how the blog is looking these days! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Marie :D
    I am pretty happy with the blog myself...make that thrilled

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats! You have something here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This one looks fun! I wanna read it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Liyana,
    thank you :D I am flattered

    I heart monster,
    It sure was. It is recomended

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP