Thursday 4 June 2009

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie society - Mary Ann Shaffer and Anne Burrows


The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie society
by
Mary Ann Shaffer and Anne Burrows


First I would like to thank Amy C @ Romance Book wyrm for coming up with this brilliant idea of reading and passing along this book to others. If you want to join us then head over here.

How to do this justice, I am going to use the back blurb to help me along.

January 1946: London is emerging from the shadow of the Second World War, and writer Juliet Ashton is looking for her next book subject. Who could imagine that she would find it in a letter from a man she's never met, a native of the island of Guernsey, who has come across her name written inside a book by Charles Lamb.

As Juliet and her new correspondent exchange letters, Juliet is drawn into the world of this man and his friends and what a wonderfully eccentric world it is. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society--born as a spur-of-the-moment alibi when its members were discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island--boasts a charming, funny, deeply human cast of characters, from pig farmers to phrenologists, literature lovers all.

Juliet begins a remarkable correspondence with the society's members, learning about their island, their taste in books, and the impact the recent German occupation has had on their lives. Captivated by their stories, she sets sail for Guernsey, and what she finds will change her forever.


I started, and I couldn't put it down. The book was delightful, wonderful, and entirely in letters. First I wasn't sure how that could work, and how I would keep track of everyone, but soon enough they become all dear to me. I got to know them just the way Juliet did. And at the end I didn't want to part from them.

Juliet is a writer who gets a letter from a man in Guernsey, and she writes back asking some questions. Soon enough many in the literary circle is writing to her, and more letters are on the way. She finds out how they had it during the occupation, and she becomes more and more intrigued by it all. She wants to write a book, and she wants to see her new and dear friends. Dawsey, Isola (the witch), sweet Kit, and all the rest. I did like them all, but Elizabeth struck a cord in me. And I went trough the same emotions as Juliet did. They had all such wonderful and tragic stories to tell.

This made me want to write long and witty letters to strangers. Not to mention start a book club, why are everyone so bad at reading here *sighs* They made it sound so fun. And I loved that some never really had read, but now they found the love of books in the shape of The Bronte sisters, Charles Lamb etc. To fall in love all over again with books, now that would be a joy.

When we get to hear the whole story, we get even more. The story continues and still with letters. And I just enjoyed it so much that I am lost for words. What more can I say then read this book, you will not regret it.






17 comments:

  1. Sounds facinating. I'll have to put it on my tbr list. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blodeuedd:

    I am so delighted to hear how much you enjoyed this book. I am on the list too and now so looking forward to the read.

    It sounds similar to a book I read many years ago.

    Happy Reading
    L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really great, I'm happy to have this wonderful book to read, hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OHHH!! I am so thrilled that you loved it too. Now you see why I felt the urge to want to start a little something with this book. The letter format did it! And yes, it was very emotional with Elizabeth. I'm so darn happy :).

    Thank you! and Thank you too, Lea, for wanting to be part of it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda.
    Yes do it, you will enjoy it.

    Lea,
    Oh really, what book? In case I want to read it :D
    Yes i did enjoy it, can't wait to see what you think.

    Eva S,
    I posted it yesterday so you should have it any day now :D

    Amy,
    I am so glad you did. A perfect idea and it will be fun to see what others think.
    Elizabeth, I was hoping, she was cool.

    I do hope all will enjoy it as much as I did

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am so glad you liked it that much. I just loved the book and like you, could not put it down once I started it. your review makes me want to read it all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad to hear that you loved it too. It is a fabulous book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Blodeuedd..

    I love your review - it's so everyday, it feels like something I would have done years earlier with pen friends..

    I have this book on order..

    Not my favourite reading period - but as it's in hindsight I think I will like it..

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yet another positive review for this one. I do have it on the shelf- note to self-must read. lol. Really nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book is EVERYWHERE. Thanks for a great review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kaye,
    Yes it sure is one of those books that is just great, and it made me feel warm inside.

    Scrap girl,
    It sure was, i was happy to get to read it

    EH:
    I ma sure you will love it too.
    I do have a lot of pen friends but they letters doesn't seem as witty and fun, lol.

    Dar,
    Oh yes read it ;)

    Aarti,
    It is, and it's loved

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I'd love to read this one ~ everyone I know who has read it has loved it and given a glowing review

    ReplyDelete
  13. Teddyree,
    Oh do read it, it's cute and witty. A feel good book with some sadness in it too

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know what you mean, I fell in love with everyone the same way Juliet did. Some parts were so poignant and touching too, especially when Kit shows her the things in her box *sniff sniff* A real keeper of a book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Julie,
    I know, when she opened that box. It touched my heart, poor child. I was so hoping, but it was a good end.
    I hope the rest will love too

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know how I missed this review! I'm glad you loved this one as much as I did. I hope it's okay that I linked to your review on War Through the Generations.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes that is totally ok :)
    Oh I loved this book, so great

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP