Saturday 20 June 2009

The Shamer's Daughter - Lene Kaaberbol


The Shamer's Daughter by Lene Kaaberbol
The Shamer Chronicles, book 1

Pages: 240
Genre: fantasy
Ages: 9-14
Published: 2004

One step, two steps, a slow, writhing waddle, its head lowered, no more than a foot or so off the ground…onward it came,…the long, long body curved like a winding river, huge and glittery…Almost the worst of it was the slowness…I could see its pale yellow eyes clearly now. Slowly it raised its head, swaying from side to side...

Dina stands transfixed in the pit of alligator-dragons she must cross to rescue her mother in the labyrinthine castle of the wicked Lord Drakan. Three people have been murdered by someone, and Dina's mother has been summoned to confirm the guilt of young Nico, who was found standing over the bodies with bloody hands. She is a Shamer, and to meet her gaze means confronting all the shameful acts one has ever committed. Yet she finds no guilt in Nico, and will not accuse him, although Drakan is strangely, and menacingly, insistent that she do so. Dina has inherited her ability, but finds it alienates her from everyone in the village. She longs for just one friend who will look her in the eyes. But now Drakan has threatened to use his dragons to execute her mother publicly on the morrow, and Dina must find allies to save her.

(Good reads blurb)


I had seen this one around, and then I saw the books in the library. On the youth side and I was like now, but then I thought later on why not. Why not read because I think I am too old to read something meant for 9-14 year olds. Never read any Danish fantasy so I gave it a shot.

What a short and easy read, the book took now time at all. I could have finished the whole series in a short period of time, but I decided to read something else in the mean time. It was a good book, it kept me interesting, some danger moments, like when the dragon bit her, and she is running from the law. But not too much danger, and I would give this to my kids if I had any. it does suit everyone too. And it wasn't too simple to read for a grown-up. Kaaberol has done good with this one.

I like her gift, if she looks people in the eyes she can see their shame, she can also make them feel shame by using her voice. That is why her mum gets called in, to find a murderer cos she would see it in his eyes. But this doesn't turn out as she had wished, and then Dina comes there too. It has a good evil character in Drakan, he is totally without shame, and cannot be touched by their power then.

I will read the rest of this series too to see how it turns out, and it takes no time at all, so I like that. I now understand why I managed to read so many books as a kid.

So different to review books like this, so i don't know what to say. But good easy book.

Now back to Midsummer for me, enjoying my holiday.



10 comments:

  1. Hi Blodeuedd!

    Excellent review! I read a lot of YA, but haven't heard of this series, I'll look at our library and see if they have it.

    Thanks for the recommendation!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely review Blodeuedd, I always enjoy reading your reviews because you read such a diverse selection of books!

    Glad you enjoyed the read. Enjoy your holiday!

    L

    ReplyDelete
  3. you gotta love quick, easy, good books :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an interesting one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always find the most interesting books. That is why I love coming here:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dottie,
    I saw it reviewed, and since she is Danish the library do have her. I guess that is why I decided to take the plunge, there are a bunch of other fantasy books too, but just this one made me wanna pick it up.

    Lea,
    You never do know where I am going with my reading, lol.
    Thanks, it has been a lovely holiday so far, and sunny even though the promised rain

    Marie,
    Oh yes, they are so nice. Just start and finish them. Sometimes that is just what a girl needs.

    Yvonne,
    Thanks, it was. And I must say this cover was better than the one on the book I read.

    Mandi,
    Thanks, yup I guess that is my thing. You never know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this one but really didn't enjoy the second. I just couldn't get into it. It might have been because I knew I had a lot of other books waiting. I don't know, I just didn't feel it had the drama of the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scrap girl,
    The 2nd one is bad, not good. But I will read it anyway I guess, and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds good. YOu know I really enjoy YA books sometimes. They are good reads and usually fast too. Glad you're having a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dar,
    It was good, and well-written. YA books are sure good sometimes, and fun to get back too. And I do love that they are a fast read.
    You could check them out

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP