Sunday 6 June 2010

Review: Happy Hour of the damned - Mark Henry

Happy Hour of the damned by Mark Herny
Amanda Feral, book 1

Genre: Yikes, Paranormal horror humor perhaps
Pages: 291
Published: 2008

Seattle. One minute you're drinking a vanilla breve, the next, some creepy old dude is breathing on you, turning you into a zombie. And that's just for starters. Now, the recently deceased Amanda Feral is trying to make her way through Seattle's undead scene with style (mortuary-grade makeup, six-inch stilettos, Balenciaga handbag on sale) while satisfying her craving for human flesh (Don't judge. And no, not like chicken.) and decent vodkatinis.

Making her way through a dangerous world of cloud-doped bloodsuckers, reapers, horny and horned devils, werewolves, celebrities, and PR-obsessed shapeshifters--not to mention an extremely hot bartender named Ricardo--isn't easy. And the minute one of Amanda's undead friends disappears after texting the word, "help" (The undead--so dramatic!) she knows the afterlife is about to get really ugly.

Something sinister is at hand. Someone or something is hellbent on turning Seattle's undead underworld into a place of true terror. And this time, Amanda may meet a fate a lot worse than death...


This book, omg, this book. I shouldn't like Amanda, I mean she kills and eats people! But she is so funny, I loved this book!

Amanda Feral is a bitchy, naughty, go-getter, satire and fashion loving woman working at a PR firm that she owns together with two others. She is doing what she loves to do, having an affair with her therapist, and perhaps going on a donut binge now and again. Until on day when she gets the breath. Yes, our fave fashionista is suddenly a zombie. What is a girl to do? Well go clubbing, find a great friend who hunts make.up to cover up her grey face just like Amanda, and then find teh essential gay vampire friend. What a complete triangle. Until one day when one of their friends go missing, the succubi of the bunch. And she is soon in trouble.

So yes, Amanda is a zombie, not to be mistaken for their distant cousins, the mindless braaaaaain zombies. No Amanda has class, and as long as she tries to stay out of trouble and not loose any body parts then she can go on like normal. Well except for that her stomach only can take alcohol, and human flesh. So she hunts and kills. But she has standars, no kids, or animals, and old people sticks in your teeth. But we do ger to see her bite down on people and gnaw on ribs. 

Her best friends are fellow zombie Wendy, as big a naughty pottymouth as she is, and Gil, the male guy vampire. Together they are unstoppable and they love to party. We get to hear how they all were made, and even Liesl's story, the missing succubi. Wendy and Gil are perfect sidekicks, they are funny and all three has this perfect chemistry. The constant bantering is hilarious.

Amanda is not so nice really, she can be bitchy, trash-talking, but hey she owns it. Everything that pops out of her mouth is great, and if she wasn't this fun then this would be a horror story and Amanda would not be liked. But as it is now, it is a book that should not be missed. if you are missing something in your paranormal world then this one is for you. It is weird, freaky and laughs are promised.

But of course if you do not like bitchy (yet funny) eating zombies then this book might take a while to warm up too, the humour is black as the night.

Other than all the alchol and clubbing there is also the mystery part. Finding Liesl adn trying not the get killed as the plot thickens. No one is safe anymore.

I will defintely read more one day, because how on earth is this series supposed to end? She is a zombie, if she gets a big wound in her face, well then is stays like that. How coudl she find a guy, when she could just as well eat him after sex (which is also tricky since not all things are working as she should when you are dead). And last, I would love to find out what things she says or does next. I have read that this has been descrived as Sex and the city meets the paranormal, and that is so true. She is Carrie, loving her shoes, and instead of trolling after a guy, perhaps just eating the guy in a backalley.


Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: Dunno why she is holding that goblet, still liking the cover.
Reason for reading. Own copy.
Final thoughts. One of the funniest books I have read this year, and the best paranormal. recommened


22 comments:

  1. Oh yes..keep reading. I LOVE this series. You can't help but love Amanda no matter how wrong it is..and is so very, very wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. The book sounds indeed so funny and cute at the same time. A zombie girl? COOL. A new book to look out for at the bookstore! Thanx. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked this one B. :)

    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. The whole zombie thing... eeeeee...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROFL... Wonderful review B! OMG Amanda sounds like quite the zombie cannibal. LOL "Like Carrie from Sex in the city except a flesh eater" yikes...

    I must add this one to my lengthy list.

    Thanks for sharing B!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This series sounds good but I especially like your first sentence - she kills and eats people, how can I like her- got a chuckle out of me this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mandi
    Yes very very very wrong, but you just gotta love that girl, even when she is eating a brain.

    Nina
    Yup, a real life zombie who likes living flesh. Totally worth its freakishness.

    Michelle
    Loved it :) And finally picked it up thanks to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris
    I know, I FEAR zombies, they are sooooooo scary. They just keep on coming, and coming.

    Lea
    I am sure you would love it too, one can't help to.

    Darlene
    Lol, I am glad I made you chuckle. Cos it was truly one of those books where I couldn't understand why I liked her so much haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent review!

    I gave you an award...

    http://socratesbookreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a fun series. Great review! You make me want to read this one.
    It cracks me up that characters are now texting in books :)
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh goodness - I don't do zombies but this does sound enormous fun.I'll keep my eye out for it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely looks like my kind of book! I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sex and the city meets paranormal! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww thanks Yvonne :D

    Naida,
    It was such a funny weird book, absurd really, and I just had to love it.

    Cat
    My thoughts exactly. Zombies, not my thing, but this one was so different

    Lori
    You would be in for so much fun!! ;)

    Carrie,
    Lol, the one who came up with that was head on

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a blast! I'd love these books. I'm out all day today soon, so will be back to add these to my Friday Finds...oh you naughty girl putting all that extra strain on my bookshelves! LOL

    Have a great day!

    Sassy
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have heard good things about this one - I am so glad you loved it..

    Zombies are not my thing..

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sassy
    Haha, you know you love it ;)
    Those bookshelves needed some extra weight

    ReplyDelete
  18. EH
    Not my thing either, so I am so amazed it worked for me

    ReplyDelete
  19. Girl, your review is awesome! You did a great job with this book! I have seen this one for a while now... but it was something about zombies that I was not sure about reading, but after reading your review... I will have to give this series a try!
    I hope all is well honey! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cecile
    You have to try it! If only for a freaky sex scene, that had me giggling when things, well you would see lol.
    Great book, even if it has scary zombies.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL I'm back getting the details for my Friday Find - will thank you lots! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP