Friday 25 June 2010

Review: A touch of Scandal - Jennifer Haymore

Genre: Historical romance
Pages: 432
Published; 2010

The last thing Garrett, Duke of Calton, expects to find while tracking his sworn enemy is the delectable, mysterious Kate. This beautiful servant girl rouses a longing the battle-scarred ex-soldier had never hoped to feel again. But when she turns out to be the sister of the man he seeks, he's convinced he's been betrayed.

Kate knows her duty to her family, yet how can she ignore Garrett's powerful pull on her heart? Or the heady temptation of his stolen-and sizzling-kisses? Scandal has followed the duke since the war. Now the greatest shock of all is on its way-the one that can separate Garrett and Kate forever.


First it annoyed me so much, secondly I loved it. Haha, yes I seldom think HR is better than ok, but this one, it just sucked me in.

Kate is spying on a man bathing, and has for many days. Then they finally speak, and she is just silly and naive. Telling him she loves him and can feel his heart. Wanting to throw away her innocence right there and then. And later, telling him that she knows he will do the right thing. Well yeah, even your lover can be a crazy murdering rapist when you are not around. But she trust him. That was one thing that annoyed me, how fast this happened and how love was just floating around in the air. Then there was this scene were one was tied up in shackles, and they did some things. In a dirty dungeon, gross.

Ok now I got those things that annoyed me out in the open and I can move on.

When things annoy me I usually do not love the book as much as I did. But the easy language of hers, that just made me wanna read more and more, had me at once. And then there was the story, a good story that made you wonder and turn.

Because Kate is working for her own brother as a servant, a brother that eloped with the duke of Calton's sister. The duke is pissed and after revenge, and seems to enjoy bathing in this little pool. So yes major conflicts at once there. First, can he love his enemy's sister, and then the huge class difference between those two.

Kate is a sweet girl, even though I did find her naive, but hey first naked guy she has sees, and he looks like a god, so of  course some feelings awake in her. And she wants to strip naked too. And Garret, all torn and dark, brooding, and angry. He thinks that she is plain and dressed ugly. But she is what he needs.

I am rambling I think. Ok, I started reading (got annoyed yes), read on, and could not stop. Truly enjoyed this tale. Even with the true love at once and dungeon sex.

I think I am glad that I did not read the book before this one. Where Garrett comes home after 8 years to find his wife married to his cousin. By reading like this I could fall for him, and like him even if it seems he made plenty of mistakes in that previous book that is about his cousin and his wife.

Blodeuedd's Cover Thoughts: Pretty, even if she sure is never playing with a rose, or inviting on a sofa. They do it elsewhere ;)
Reason for reading: Own copy.
Final thoughts: A great romance that has it all, madmen, revenge, love, skinny dipping and scancal.


21 comments:

  1. This seems to be a great, entertaining historical romance. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you ended up liking the book. It's on my shelf and I hope to read it soon. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the first of these and really enjoyed it; for once it was a love triangle I couldn't predict the outcome of! Of course, now you know the outcome, so it's a bit less suspenseful. Glad to hear this is good as well - I hope to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irena
    It was a really good one, I do recommened it.

    Bookfanmary
    I do hope you like it too, there was just something about the lovely story.

    Meghan
    Could nopt predict, oh, there I missed something for sure. But then I might have guessed it or at least wanted something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read Jennifer Haymore's books as Dawn Halliday and really enjoyed her writer voice. I have one of her Haymore books in my TBR that I've been meaning to read. Must do that soon.

    And LOL over your thoughts on the dungeon scene. Gross indeed! Funny even more since I just finished a book that had a LOT of erotic dungeon scenes. What is it about dungeons??? Whatever it is, I'm not at all interested in finding out. It must be the whole "we're gonna die here so lets have sex" thought.... Whatever, still not interested.

    :) VFG

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might recommend this book to my friend who likes HR, but if I do I'll warn her about the dungeon stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like it's really good that you skipped the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dungeon sex?? I must read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dungeon sex? Ramble on, hon! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL Dungeon sex eh? Hmmm.. Well I'm glad this one worked out for you in the end B. I've heard a lot of wonderful things about this book.

    You have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. VFG
    Oh that's right, she has another name too. I should check out those books too, well at first I ahve teh Haymore ones.

    I do fear it's the oh no! We will die, let's have sex thing. Byt gross, all dirty, icky, and perhaps even rats. Not a place I would like to loose my virginity.


    DC
    Do recommened, and I am sure she would like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chris
    Perhaps :) Cos I do not think he was as nice there. Still must read it one day! :D

    Staci
    Yes everyone seems to hang on to that very word..prisoner in a dungeon, bonny young lass, wild urges, lol.

    Janna
    Haha, yes to read it and experience the dungeon sex.

    Lea,
    I was not sure at first, since many seemed to be taken aback by certain things, sure I was too, but she is just such a great storyteller that I fell in love

    ReplyDelete
  13. This does sound good! Glad you stuck with it and ended up enjoying it. I enjoy a good historical romance. Great review.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review and glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Naida :)
    I do recommened her

    Yvonne
    Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally agree about the beginning..that annoyed me too. But then it turned out to be a pretty decent story!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey honey!

    Love the title and the book doesn't sound so bad either! Looks like I'll have to add this to my TB list!

    Thanks for the great review!

    Hugs
    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really liked this one too! I didn't have a problem with the love at first sight thing, just b/c yeah, she was totally naive and she really needed some kind of escape from her horrible life, so why not fall in love with a hot guy who is nice to her :) i think i will probably go back and read the first one now. i tried it before, but the love triangle kinda turned me off. Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mandi
    I did enjoy it a great deal, and I would not let an annoying thing stop me :)

    Carrie
    Maybe I just thought she was too naive, stupidly naive. Then again you are so right, she needed just that. And I am happy she got it.
    Love triangles, I love them, I hate them

    hawk
    I sure hope you do, and enjoy it a lot. Thanks for stopping by, as always

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Blodeuedd! I am glad that I read your review. I have both books and plan to read them one day. They do sound... very... interesting.

    Great review honey and I love your last line =)

    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cecile
    I can't wait to see what you think about book 1 cos I sure wanna read it now

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP