Thursday 24 June 2010

Review: Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi

I have been watching people around blogland reading graphic novels (not that I know what the difference between that and a comic is), and a friend always talks about the graphic novels she has bought, instead of books like before. So I headed over to the library, yes we have a little English section of books, and among those are a tiny shelf with graphic novels and comics. So I picked some up, they did have many new ones. It is spreading. Dunno how to review it so I will just take it step by step.


 Persepolis - The story of a childhood - Marjane Satrapi

Genre: Graphic Novel, Memoir
Pages: 160
Published: 2004



In powerful black-and-white comic strip images, Satrapi tells the story of her life in Tehran from ages six to fourteen, years that saw the overthrow of the Shah's regime, the triumph of the Islamic Revolution, and the devastating effects of war with Iraq. The intelligent and outspoken only child of committed Marxists and the great-granddaughter of one of Iran's last emperors, Marjane bears witness to a childhood uniquely entwined with the history of her country.

A story about a little girl who wants to be a prophet, then a revolutionary and throw down the Shah, and then the rebel who wants to listen to music and not wear a veil.

This is sure a map to some big years in Iran. Her family screamed for revolution and a communist regime. It was a difficult time because the Shah's men could arrest them at any time. Then the revolution happened but things did not get better. Instead they got an Islamic dictatorship, and the former fighters turned on that. Now women had to wear veils or suffer in public, all things Western got outlawed. Then comes the Iraqi war, and Teheran gets bombed. All this seen through a young girls eyes. A girl who don't get why things are like they are, a girl who has very strong opinions. All told with sarcasm, and humour, and sadness.

The black and white strips are excellent. They are well drawn (that is I get what they are trying to show), and with not much background or such they tell this remarkable story.

It ends when she turns 14, and I must get book 2 to see what happens then. I know that so many have read this years ago already, but to those that haven't, do read it. And because it was so good (and most importantly nicely drawn, yes I need that), I will read more. Well  at least those few things I can find here.


16 comments:

  1. hahaha - you have caught the graphic novel bug too now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivienne
    Yes you all and your evil blogs ;) I do fear after I have gone through the library ones I need to move on to translations to get my fix

    ReplyDelete
  3. Graphic novels just have not drawn me in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No pretty colored pictures to look at? *grin* Glad you enjoyed your first experience Blodeuedd!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris
    I shall convert you to something one day ;)

    Leontine
    Alas, no pretty colors ;) It was fun, and gotta love that I could read it fast too

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear that you liked Persepolis. Quite a few people recommended it to me when I asked about graphic novels a little while ago :)

    Great review, I'm going to see if it exsists a copy in my local library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ladybug
    I have been meaning to read it for years, and now finally I did. Great story, and I liked the pics. I do say a good book to start with

    ReplyDelete
  8. this one looks so interesting, very unique that it's written as a graphic novel.

    can't wait to read your review of a touch of scandal and see what you thought of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I'm so glad you read your first graphic novel and enjoyed it!! I assure you, they are addictive :-) I have not read this one, but I saw the movie version and it was good, though sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am proud of you for just trying it!! Brave stepping out of the normal comfy zone! Bravo my lady!!!!

    And you gotta love evil bloggers who make us want things right... lmbo!!

    I hope you and bf have a great weekend!!! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are well drawn (that is I get what they are trying to show), and with not much background or such they tell this remarkable story.

    That's the most any reader can get from these books..

    I have heard of this book before - I will add it to my library wishlist...

    E.h>

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carrie,
    Haymore coming up next, gonna post early today :O

    Aarti
    Oh yes, I have head of that one. But yes a lot of death and suffering, and wrongdoings.
    But I am impressed and will continue.

    Cecile
    You never know what you like before you try it :) And now this can be crossed off my list.
    Thanks hon! have a great weekend you too!

    EH
    Do read it, well done, and with a story that make you wanna read. Did not always care for her choices, but that is life

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this book!!! It was my first graphic book, which has kind of spoiled me I think. I would love to find other graphic books as wonderful as this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stephanie
    Lol, I fear it may spoil me too, cos it was so good, and I have so few choiced at the library

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard alot about this one, I need to read it too :)
    Great review!
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Naida,
    I highly recommend it :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP