Monday 7 June 2010

Review: Just in Case - Meg Rosoff

Just in case - Meg Rosoff

Genre: Ya Fiction
Pages: 240
Published: 2006

Justin Case is convinced fate has in for him.
And he's right.

After finding his younger brother teetering on the edge of his balcony, fifteen-year-old David Case realizes the fragility of life and senses impending doom. Without looking back, he changes his name to Justin and assumes a new identity, new clothing and new friends, and dares to fall in love with the seductive Agnes Day. With his imaginary dog Boy in tow, Justin struggles to fit into his new role and above all, to survive in a world where tragedy is around every corner. He's got to be prepared, just in case.


I liked this book, but then I am drawn to weird books that do not make much sense, and this one is no exception.

It starts at once. David Case rescues his brother, who get annoyed. His brother tells him (well thinks it) what he wanted to do, of course out of the 1 year olds mouth nonsense comes out. Through out the book we can hear the baby's clever thoughts, and he is sure wondering why no one gets him.

David is dead sure that Fate is out after him, and he has a lot of gloomy thoughts. So he changes his name to Justin, starts wearing new clothes, and thinks that Fate can't find him any more. He also gets a dog, a greyhound, and the dog is of course not real. But he sees him. He gets a new friend, who also plays with the dog. I guess crazy attracts crazy. And then there is the older girl who wants to photograph him, and he falls in love. I think that was all teh crazy stuff.

Or was it? No,  this book has a second POV, Fate with short sentences tells us that he actually is after David.

Why did I then like this book? I didn't think I would but suddenly I was drawn in to it and could not stop. David was so crazy, I guess it made me think of that Gyllenhaal movie with the rabbit. But David, or Justin really believed fate wanted him dead. And soon he saw dangers in everything, and that is not a way to live. His love affair with the girl was doomed, and it was rather painful to read who much he wanted her, when one could see her indifference. Even if she did care for him as a friend. Luckily he did meet Peter, who was great, and his little sister. That family was a pillar in Justin's life, even if they did talk about the dog. Like saying that Boy needed Justin to survive and exist...yes cos he was made up, duh. But then again Justin needed that dog, I think it made him stay sane.

There was the crazy, the weird thoughts, fate showing up and scaring me, first love, friendship and a wonder how this all would end. A great YA book in the end, with some amazing writing in it.

What can I say, I am a sucker for the weird,

Blodeuedd's Cover Thoughts: Pretty, but pretty girl, but yes looks YA.
Reason for reading: library
Final thoughts: I enjoyed this strange tale, about a boy who lost is footing in the world.


17 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear this one is good. I hope to read it next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a teen I used to babysit a boy named "Justin Case" - he hated his name. lol

    :)

    MsM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vivienne
    I hope you will enjoy it, I do like tales like these.

    MSM
    Haha, I would think so :) Such a funny name

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - sounds nutty. Maybe a little too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't think this made sense either so I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in my feelings but i need to try it again and maybe I'll finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh. I think this too crazy for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree with Chris - may be a bit too weird for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol,
    Lol, nah, there is nothing like too nutty.

    Staci
    Do finish it, I mean it was wonderful, and even if things were strange, I mean they fitted.

    Chris
    Not a crazy lover I see :)

    Patti
    No love for the crazy :( Lol, but I get it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blodeuedd -
    Is this the first Meg Rosoff book you have read?
    I have How I Live Now on my shelf... I've heard good things about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol
    This is so you Linda! You have a much more open mind than I do. Although the premise sounds appealing, I think it may work my nerves. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shellie
    Yup, my first, so can't say about the rest of her books. But I would think she would keep her style.

    Jenny
    Lol, perhaps I have. But hey you never know before you try it

    ReplyDelete
  12. This does sound like such a strange story. I sometimes like off-the-wall, it just depends. I'm sure I'd have to read some of it to be able to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alyce
    With books like this one one can just never tell, you either love it, don't get it, or just goes along with it. So yes try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't mind weird. This one actually sounds interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Darlene
    It was such a cool book so I would recommend it

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this one sounds interesting, especially Fate as a character. Reminds me as Death as a narrator in The Book Thief.

    --Anna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anna
    Fate was sure a scary fellow, he did not say much, but he did not need to

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP