Tuesday 29 November 2011

Review: Darn Good Cowboy Christmas - Carolyn Brown

Series: Spikes and spurs #3
Genre: Contemporary western romance
Pages: 384
Published: Oct 1 2011
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Source: For review

Born and raised in a traveling carnival, all Liz Hanson ever wanted for Christmas was a home that didn't have wheels. After she was old enough to date she added one more item: a sexy cowboy.

She's about given up on Santa ever bringing either one when her father dies and leaves her an ugly house and twenty acres in Texas. Then rancher Raylen O'Donnell walks onto her property...

My thoughts:
There is one thing I have come to connect with Brown's books, and that is that they always makes me smile. I usually sit there with a grin on my face, because they are sweet and fun.

This book is part of a series, but it can be read as a standalone. You will feel at home at once. The books are inviting and the town is a place I would like to visit, and the people there, I would love to have them as friends.

In this one we have Liz, a former carnie, who wants to settle down and get some roots, and then we have the hot cowboy next door, Rayleen. They met before long ago, and that crush never left either of them. It is just destined. They know it when they meet, and the passion is sizzling. They are just perfect together. She grows roots, and he finds love.

A quote from her best friend:
"Love at first sight is bullshit. But the heart can reach out and know its soul mate at first sight and then love can come later."
(quote taken from an uncorrected proof, it can differ in the final copy.)

That sums is up perfectly of what their love is like. And sure there is a tad of drama too, can she grow those roots and settle down?

And as always what I like about her books are the sayings, the book is filled with them and they make me smile. I do feel they are one of the best things with this book. Let's see if I can brave one, their love is hotter than a hellcat on a Sunday (ok that makes no sense, but you get the general idea. And I am bad with these.) I love to read them though, and I sure want to talk like that, yes mam.

Conclusion:
Like I said in the beginning, this book is sure to make you smile and crave your own cowboy. I can't wait for the the next one, I wonder who it will be about.

Cover:
Works


----------------------
Be sure to stop by tomorrow when Carolyn stops by with a giveaway :)

28 comments:

  1. Books that make you smile are always good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed this one. That's how I feel about the Janet Evanovich's books. I have my issues with them, but they make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree----she totally makes me smile! I haven't ever disliked one of her books :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for an awesome review! People say I write just like I talk so I take those sayings for granted but I'm so glad that they make you smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a nice, sweet romance for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolyn
    You're welcome :D Thanks for writing books that makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda
    I know right, awesome :D


    MRS Q
    Oh yes Evanovich, do not even get me started on her books. Though I fear it is a twisted love--hate relationship these days


    Felicia
    I knew when I picked it up it would make me smile and by the gods I was right.


    Carol
    For that it is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy to see you smile, my lady! And writing funny reviews! Overall a win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ana
    It has been a while since i wrote something funny, such a shame, but I am glad Brown brought it out in me

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chris
    Hihi, I know, I LOVE them :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh!! I love that quote.

    Great. Like I need another excuse to crave cowboys! YeeHaw!

    ReplyDelete
  12. awwwww that sounds freakin' adorable. An ex-carnie? ^.^ I get that grin when I'm reading Gaelen Foley novels. Don't you just love it when you find an author that can make you smile like that?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to read this author.
    I enjoy this genre and I do like coboys :)
    Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that quote! So romantic yet down to earth at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Between you, Missie and Felicia... you are all determined to make me read a cowboy book. *sigh* I feel like I'm caving!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I seriously do want my own cowboy now. I love these books too because I have fun reading them and they almost always turn out the way I want them too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been wanting to start these books. I have some of them on my Nook. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Missie
    Yeehaw! I watched Cowboys and aliens this weekend you know, sadly Craigh did not make a fine cowboy


    Carole
    Yes, I love it :D With books like these you need to smile, and feel good.

    And now I gotta try the Foley book I got


    Naida
    Then it is perfect for you!


    Steph
    At once when I read it I knew I had to post it with my review


    melissa
    Yes, you need cowboys in your life!


    Staci
    I love that too, and the drama is never too much. I just need this kind of feelgood lovey-dovey


    Yvonne
    Then this is the perfect time to start :)


    Carrie
    I know :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, I like sexy cowboy stories.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can I have one for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Didn't think I was into cowboy stories but hey this could possibly bring about a change of heart lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Simcha
    They are the best ;) Must be cos we got no cowboys here

    Ryan
    If I get one too ;)


    Teddyree
    Lol, a cowboy can turn anyone's head around so I am sure we can get you to come over to our side

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sweet and fun is my kind of book. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Alexis
    It was all those things :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I had trouble with the sayings-they made me smile and groan at the same time. I might have to give her another try though after your review.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bucky
    I do think that might be the case for some, but for me they work wonderfully :D

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP