Sunday 13 November 2011

Review: The House of the Wind - Titania Hardie

Genre: Historical Fiction/ Contemporary fiction
Pages: 528
Published: October 27, 2011
Publisher: Headline Review
Source. For review


A legendary ruin. An ancient mystery. Will unveiling the past transform the future? San Francisco, 2007. Madeline Moretti is grieving for her fianc_¨. Nothing brings her joy any more, and Maddie's grandmother, a fiery Italian, sends her to Tuscany to heal. Here, Maddie is immersed in the mystery of a ruined villa. Destroyed centuries ago in a legendary storm on the Eve of St Agnes, it has been known ever since as the Casa al Vento - the House of the Wind. Tuscany, 1347. Mia hasn't spoken since her mother's death, and lives in silence with her beloved aunt. One dark night, a couple seek refuge in their villa. Used to welcoming passing pilgrims, Mia is entranced by the young bride's radiance and compassion, but mystified by her reluctance to reveal even her name. Where has she come from, and why must her presence be a secret? Centuries apart, each searching for a way to step into her future, Mia and Maddie will be haunted by the myth of the woman who walked unscathed from the ruins of the House of the Wind.

My thoughts:
This book alternates between 2 POVS. First there is Maddie in the present day who has lost someone near to her, and she is just slowly moving along She will go to Italy and stay with friends and that is where the second POV comes in.  in 1347 a young woman lived at the place she visits and they are connected in some other way too, but that takes a while to know since we need to know young Mia's life first. The title comes from the woman Mia meets, a woman who is fleeing from a cruel fate.

I am a bit torn when it comes to this book, some chapters moved so slowly and I was not interested at all. it was a slow book at times, and it took me quite some time to get into the book. And even when I did that I liked Mia's story more. Sure it was sad that Maddie lost that special someone, and we read how she went to Italy, but she did not stay long, and most of her parts were about the legal case she was involved in as that was her job. The Mia parts were much more interesting, first with the mystery woman who comes with a man, who was she? We learn that. And the how the Black Death sweeps through Italy and Mia is in the middle of that, and all the time while reading I wonder if she will survive. Because first there is the Black death who is going to kill plenty, then there is a lot of other factors too. So those parts were just better. The flow was faster too.

That is why I am torn, I just liked some parts in this book better than the rest. I was bored at times. And I did not feel that Maddie got to learn about the past either. Or was it we who was supposed to learn?

Conclusion:
If it sounds interesting then it might just be the book for you.

Cover:
It works for this book, not a fan though


19 comments:

  1. I haven't been very tolerant of books that drag here lately, so I'll probably skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Historical fiction - yes. And a facet of time/place not very well known to me - yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I like historical fiction but I don't like it when the book is boring so...maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Kathy about books that drag...I'm getting older and my time is getting more valuable. I'll pass and I'm with you on the cover...needs some work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm iffy on these types of time travel-y books. i usually can't get into them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hm... I hate being torn by a book. I don't think it is a book for me. I've had too many of those and don't relish them. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure about the time travel thing, usually I'm not a fan. And if it was boring I think I'll skipmthis one...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bermuda
    Yes, I know, I do not really have time for them either


    Mystica
    Then it might just be a book for you :)

    Ana
    It's hard to now with this one cos of those two POVS, and yes it was boring at times


    Staci
    When I think back at my TBR pile and that it took me 6 days to finish this book...yes life is too short.


    Carrie
    Wouldn't call them time-trvel-y..well it depends


    Melissa
    You're welcome :) Gotta speak my mind

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elysium
    There is no time-travel, Maddie is in 2007, Mia in 1347. They are connected via a coin Maddie has

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like it need a more aggressive editor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading from your review, I don't think this book is for me, though it sounds like it could be good for certain kinds of readers...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, being bored while reading isn't a good thing, but glad you found some parts to enjoy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the cover and the title; it's just too bad the book dragged for you at times. That would annoy me. Once I get immersed, I want it to keep me fully interested.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't think this one is for me and it doesn't sound too orginal since the two POV's in different time periods has been done before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cherry
    I do think that some might truly fall for this book

    Vivienne
    Enjoy :)


    Missie
    Yeah, not good at all, and it took me forever to finish it, I even started other books whiel reading it


    kaye
    Same here, I do want to stay focused on what I read and not let my mind drift away


    jenny
    No, it has been used before, you are so right there

    ReplyDelete
  16. This plot sounds very familiar to me, as if I have read it before. I can't put my finger on it though. Interesting premise but I'll pass. Thanks Blodeudd

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jenny
    Hm, I can't help you there, but yes it is not the first book to use this premise

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP