Tuesday 15 November 2011

Review: The Pledge - Kimberly Derting

Series: The Pledge #1
Genre: Dystopia/YA
Pages: 336
Published: November 15, 2011
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Source: Galley Grab

In the violent country of Ludania, the language you speak determines what class you are, and there are harsh punishments if you forget your place—looking a member of a higher class in the eye can result in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina (Charlie for short) can understand all languages, a dangerous ability she’s been hiding her whole life. Her only place of release is the drug-filled underground club scene, where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. There, she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy who speaks a language she’s never heard, and her secret is almost exposed. Through a series of violent upheavals, it becomes clear that Charlie herself is the key to forcing out the oppressive power structure of her kingdom.

My thoughts:
This was a book that is hard to put a genre on, by the things we learnt, well by the sound of languages I would say it takes place on our little planet. But it can also just be that she used those words to make it feel more like home. It has such a fantasy feel to it, but then they got technology, so let's just call it dystopia/fantasy/sci-fi. 

The world is interesting and ruled by queens with powers. No male can take the throne in this world. I like it. And this country has its on set of rule that is really stupid, in a good way. If someone talks to you in another language and they have a higher status then you are not allowed to look at them. If you do then you die. Cruel, oh yes, crazy, indeed. It's done to keep the masses separated. I do love a good wicked world and this one that keeps the classes with their own kind is fascinating. 

Sure there was one thing that bugged me, it seems it was only a couple of 100 years ago since it was set in motion. And people only speak their own language or the one under them. And they can't learn the higher up. And the languages are completely different, that means the language first used had to be really different from each other if people can't understand each other. Because I could understand words here and there easily with languages close to mine. Because yes even it they kill everyone with an ear for languages then should not some still be left, or are people too stupid? We just do not know. I'd really like to get to the bottom of the language situation. But I did not let it bother me. 

Back to the story, Charlie is our heroine and it does not take a doctor to get why she understand all languages. She is obviously of the old Royal family. Sure it takes a long time for the book to spit it out, but it's obvious from page 1. She meets a handsome stranger called Max, and they got romantic tension sizzling around them. 

The book is also filled with that question who she is (well we know this), who wants to use her, can she get away, and the danger when rebels are attacking the kingdom; queendoom, sorry Queen. I do like that the danger and tension keeps the pace going and it is a good book, and interesting book too. It is the first in a series, but it ends. And no cliffie, well there is a cliffie, but it is that sort of cliffie that you do not know if it will turn out to be a cliffie or not. But since there is a book 2, it sure will. Even if this book ends happily then all hell is sure to break lose later. 

Conclusion:
A good world, that is all I want sometimes, and I got that here.

Cover:
 pretty


32 comments:

  1. Ooooh! Only Females are allowed to take the throne. That's different.

    I have to admit, I'm intrigued by the use of languages to create social classes in this world, because it does sound a bit similar to the social norms we have today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what you mean by that sort of cliffie! *confused*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to know this one was a good read; I also find YA dystopias the most pleasant of the whole YA fare. I admit the language issue would have bugged me far more. By the way, who makes sure you get killed if you look somebody of a higher social status in their eyes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. wooow. I think I may really like this book. Just the idea of a Queendom makes me smile. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really looking forward to this one, I've heard there's a bit of instalove which always drives me crazy, but this world sounds too interesting to miss:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I just learned this book yesterday and it's cool to read another good review about it. I am fascinated by the fact that languages are the determinator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel bad that I didn't finish this one. It went on my PC before I had time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover on this one always attracts my attention. It sounds like an interesting world, even if it doesn't entirely make sense and we know the secret about Charlie way earlier than the book wants us to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been curious about this and it does sound good. The world sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Missie
    I know, good for them, men suck!..No, they don't, they are awesome. But we need power too, lol.

    It was fascinating, and I am glad she made it that way


    Chris
    Lol, I confuse myself. It was a cliffie that is a cliffie if she makes it so in the next book


    Ana
    I like them the best too, cos scary worlds rock.

    Well, those you look at while talking. They tell and it is off with your head.


    Carole
    I know ;) As a woman I truly approve of that

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review. Not sure if I'd like it though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenny
    Yeah, instalove, but at the same time, I did not really see if since they do not get together at once. Maybe that saved it for me.


    irena
    I really liked that she made it so because it was very different and I do want that. And I fell for the cover, lol


    Vivienne
    Oh no! :(


    Carol
    It was what made me get it, I am so bad, but I can't say no to a pretty cover.

    It was good despite its faults


    Elysium
    I am sure you'd like it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linda
    No? Well I always say go with your gut, it does know

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like an interesting book. I like the idea that the world is ruled by a queen and I do like good world building.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Naida
    I liked that too, women should rule too, and it is so better to be queen than a boring president ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like a world where the women rule! But language is interesting way of differiating between the classes...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I'd have to wait until your review of book 2. First I hate cliffies and second, the whole language thing would bug me. I have to know! Other than that it sounds interesting.

    *waits for second book review*

    ReplyDelete
  18. "No male can take the throne in this world." - I like the sound of this too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like dystopia and this one sounds unique.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really loveeddddd this book!!

    here's my review of catching jordan! stop by?!

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/arc-review-catching-jordan-fun-read.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't know, the whole language premises seems kind of strange. It doesn't really sound like a convincing idea for a dystopia but maybe it's better than it sounds since you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Girls rule ... sounds good ;)
    I've got this one on the go, glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mel
    Isn't it? :) I am so glad it is not that way here.


    Melissa
    Dunno when the 2nd is out so I fear you will have to wait quite some time. But I know the feeling


    Steph
    Women rule! ;)


    nise
    Same here, I like freaky secenarios and I am glad I do not live there


    Hi Lindsay :)


    Simcha
    It just worked, and it sure was a throwback to the days when you had to be invisivle to those above you


    Teddyree
    I hope you will enjoy it too

    ReplyDelete
  24. I keep finding myself pulling away from dystopian books...but I like what you had to say about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like an interesting book! You brought up an excellent point about the language. Great review!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Jess :9
    I am glad you enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've heard that this books is only so-so but since I liked Kimberly Derting's other books I will probably be checking this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jenny
    I had not even checked if she had other books, must do it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well, it sure sounds different.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I enjoyed THE PLEDGE, it was a solidly fun read with an interesting world, but it could have been developed a bit more and the ending was a bit sudden. I'm hoping future books in the series give us a bit more "meat" to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jennifer
    I agree with you there. The end was way too sudden. Sure I could deal, but it could have been longer and more developed.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP