Tuesday 2 June 2015

Those we love most - Lee Woodruff

On a warm June day, Maura Corrigan is walking with her nine-year-old son, James, as he rides his bike to school. The unthinkable happens: he darts onto the street and is hit by Alex, a 17-year-old neighbor. As if James's death isn't tragic enough for the Corrigan family, in its wake an intricate web of relationships, secrets, and betrayals begins to unravel.

Told through the perspective of four family members, Those We Love Most chronicles how this sudden twist of fate forces each of them to confront their choices, examine their mistakes, and fight for their most valuable relationships. It asks the age-old question: Why do we hurt the ones we love most? Then it shows us how we can, in the most difficult of times, forgive ourselves and others for our transgressions. 

My thoughts:
When I want to read something with a good story, or good writing, I do try to go for fiction. Not that other genres do not have this, of course they do, but lit fic is just different from the other books I read. Because it is real ;D

And here it was sad, and made you think...

Maura is walking her kids to school when she looks away for a sec and her son dies in a traffic accident. She blames herself, and she is drifting away from her husband. Her husband Pete who drinks too much, and later drinks even more to drown his own sorrow. Can they ever find their way back to each other.

Then we have her parents, Margaret who is happy at home, and her husband Roger who works a lot and is seeing someone on the side. Margaret was old school who held her tongue and wanted things to look perfect. I could not have done that if I was her. Sure they still loved each other but still..

There are different ways to deal with sorrow, different ways to moving on. The book is not all SAD. Sure it was sad when it happens, but the book is not about death, but about coping with it. And about love, and forgiveness.

Conclusion:
I enjoyed it. 

Cover
good

Hardcover, 320 pages
Published September 11th 2012 by Hyperion
Fiction
Own

29 comments:

  1. Sounds like a book I'd enjoy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you liked this one, but I don't think I would. These books are too real and too sad for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lit fiction too, Women's fiction in particular because its devoid of any romantic notions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to weave in literary fiction and agree, it has a realism to it. I am glad it offered more then just sadness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure did. It's good to read now and then :)

      Delete
  5. Oh the feels. I am reading a book that I worry that will make me feel feelings. 0.o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I really feel I cry, here, life happened, it was sad, but not SAD

      Delete
  6. This one sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is definitely a trip from what I'm used to seeing in your blog. I'm glad you enjoyed it, nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I have read too little lit fic lately. I am going through my own tbr pile and not a lot there

      Delete
  8. It is about life I think. Sadness, joy all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh not an easy topic there

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like an emotional novel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, man! I don't think I could read such a story... I think all parents have irrational fears about their kids getting hurt, about that one moment of negligence when the unspeakable happens. It's a very hard thing to live with even as an irrational fear. Reading about an actual case? Not me. It does sound like a really good book though. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry about my cat so..yes. And then to have it happen. Worst fear as a parent.

      But it was different somehow, it was more than just that

      Delete
  12. I'm not great with sad stories so it's good that this one is more about the coping and moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Sad is just sad, and dwelling is just sad

      Delete
  13. This sounds like an emotional read, and I'd probably like it even if it did make me sad. I like lit fic too because it is more realistic and not everything works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad is a part of life. It's good to read about

      Delete
  14. my type of read, I like the cover too.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP