Thursday 2 June 2016

Conrad and Eleanor - Jane Rogers

When Conrad fails to return home from a science conference, Eleanor guesses he may at last be reacting to her infidelity. Or has he finally tired of his stagnating job in transplant research? Eleanor's own scientific career has forged ahead, while Conrad played main carer to their children. The four children, now adult, fear for their father but seem to have little sympathy for their tough ambitious mother. Meanwhile, a long way from home, Conrad is alone, scared and on the run. 

My thoughts:
Conrad and Eleanor do not have the perfect marriage, not by a long shot. She works way too much, he works too, but has stayed home with the kids a lot. Not that he minded. Someone had to love those kids too (and how they got 4 I do not know).

Eleanor cheats, how she has the time I do not know. And Conrad knows. They have messed up their lives. They are both having mid life crises. They do love each other, but, they are just too used to each other. They are quite normal to be honest.

In the book we get flashbacks how they got together, glimpses from their lives, good times, bad times. How they lost their way. Which brings us to the events here, how he is missing. She wonders why, and I do wonder what he did. Because he sure is running from something bad.

I can not really put all the blame on Eleanor, they both messed up big time. And will they have a happy life in the golden years? Truth be told, no I do not think so. Love does not always mean happiness, but I am sure they will try.

Conclusion:
An interesting look at a marriage falling apart

Cover
meh

Paperback, 314 pages
Expected publication: June 2nd 2016 by Atlantic Books
Fiction
For review

34 comments:

  1. Ack. A cheater! Nope. #Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds kind of sad to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww this would make me sad. I'm not a fan of cheating in real life or books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cheating did not really bother me, and we never really saw it either. I got more angry about something..he did

      Delete
  4. Sounds depressing. I think I know too many people IRL who are dealing with crumbling marriages to get any enjoyment out of a book about it. Glad you found it interesting, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is not really about their crumbling marriage, it's more looking for him since he is..lost

      Delete
  5. oh this seems pretty realistic and even though I am not a fan of cheating, I am intrigued curious to see if they find their way back to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think their problem was that they should never have married in the first place

      Delete
  6. Eep, this book sounds like it could be a downer. I think the book's description says a lot when the character's husband goes missing and the first thing she thinks is "Oh no, he's finally tired of my cheating!" instead of "Oh no, I'm so worried he didn't come home."

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get why it looks like a downer, but there are so many more things hidden under the surface And with him missing she does realise the misses him, but who could blame her if she thinks he just left for that one reason...and another one I have not said

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I have a week vacay coming up :D And then working at another horrible place for 2 weeks and then 1 more week, booooooo

      Delete
  8. Once in a while a dose of reality in fiction can be disturbing, but also a good story. I'm actually interested. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay. I know reality can suck, but it's real you know

      Delete
  9. This book kinda sounds like Angels by Marian Keyes! Not my cup of tea! TBH it doesn't looks unique but glad to know you enjoyed it! :)
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I remember reading it but, not really same genre or funniness, sadly

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. It's fiction so, they tend to come in ones

      Delete
  11. Not sure this one is for me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hm, I might read it - this is the first I've heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh nope. Not even a little. I can't stand a cheater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone is so hung up on the cheating bit, if it was romance I would mind. But this is not a romance. It is not about cheating. It is about a man lost cos of his own mistakes

      Delete
  14. Great review ! But i don't really sure this one is for me !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Life is hard and marriages can get hard sometimes when things get too much into a pattern. Marriage is something that I think you must work at, no matter how long you are together. I do understand why everyone gets caught up in the cheating, it is a deal breaker for so many.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate cheating, if it's in romance and I am all grrr. But here, this is fiction, life is hard. They are both to blame, they both do things, they do not work in their marriage

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP