Monday 20 May 2024

Carole's Monday. A night to Surrender


Author: Tessa Dare
Narrator: Carolyn Morris
Title: A Night to Surrender
Series: Spindle Cove #1
Genre: Historical Romance
Format: Audiobook
Published: August 30, 2011
Where I got It: Library

Summary: 
Welcome to Spindle Cove, where the ladies with delicate constitutions come for the sea air, and men in their prime are... nowhere to be found. Or are they?

Spindle Cove is the destination of choice for certain types of well-bred young ladies: the painfully shy, young wives disenchanted with matrimony, and young girls too enchanted with the wrong men; it is a haven for those who live there.

Victor Bramwell, the new Earl of Rycliff, knows he doesn't belong here. So far as he can tell, there's nothing in this place but spinsters... and sheep. But he has no choice, he has orders to gather a militia. It's a simple mission, made complicated by the spirited, exquisite Susanna Finch—a woman who is determined to save her personal utopia from the invasion of Bram's makeshift army.

Susanna has no use for aggravating men; Bram has sworn off interfering women. The scene is set for an epic battle... but who can be named the winner when both have so much to lose?


Review:
Oh Dare. I do love you. I think I am getting all caught up with reading her stuff. Mmmm. I'll have to double check. 

Here we have Bram and Susanna. Spindle Cove is the destination of choice for certain types of young ladies......the painfully shy, unhappy wives, bluestockings, and young girls too enchanted with the wrong men. It is a haven and lead by Susanna. Bram comes exploding on the scene. He takes on the task to gather a militia in the area. It's a simple mission, but made complicated by Susanna. Both have no use for love and they have a different mindset on what this town needs.

This one took me longer than normal to finish. Not that it was bad, but.......mmm. I don't know. Something just didn't meet up for me. It all seemed unrealistic and I didn't buy the love right away. YES, the lust was there from the moment they met but even by the end I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

There was a moment near the end that I wanted to drop kick Bram. F you man. I get WHY he had that reaction (trauma and etc) but dang dude. Yes, he apologizes and blah blah blah, but what he said was beyond cool. 

Once they patched things up it was very sweet seeing them be comfy in love. Finding the rhythm. Even though I wasn't a huge fan of this coupling, I enjoyed the story nonetheless. They actually talk...eventually...and it was nice seeing two damaged people finally find peace. 

Oh! The narrator was good. I liked her voice. 

In the end, this wasn't my favorite of the Dare books but I still had fun. I'm curious to get to book 2. There are some side characters I really want to watch fall in love. I'll give this 3 stars. The side characters and the epilogue gave the rating a boost.  








ONE WORD SUMMARY: Decent




Challenge(s):
- Audiobook #22
- Romance Reading Challenge #14 (A MC with a name that starts with 'S') 
- Library Love #8


5 comments:

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP