Wednesday 29 May 2024

Audio: Dreadful by Caitlin Rozakis


By: Caitlin Rozakis


Narrated by: Keval Shah


Length: 11 hrs and 28 mins


Release date: 05-28-24 by Tantor Audio


Fantasy / to review





Another fantasy book that I do not quite know what to make of. Delightful, funny, dreadful. A really great book.




A man wakes up, dang! Worst place to be, some evil wizard lair. Double damn, he is the evil wizard. Ok, yes, I love that concept. Absolutely love it. So Gav is trying to get the feel of things. But people are trying to kill him, he is involved in an evil plan, there is a princess in a cell, and goblins running around. Also Gav is not keen on this whole "evil" concept.




Oh Gav, I mean I loved him. He was all, nope, evil sounds shitty, I want to try something else. Is he doing well? Absolutely not.




And the castle is a mess. The village outside is a mess. And there are plans, and knights running around. A hilarious tale




Great narration. From evil wizards, to townsfolk to goblins. He does it well and he kept me entertained.





A sharp-witted, debut high fantasy farce featuring killer moat squid, toxic masculinity, evil wizards, and a garlic festival-all at once.




It's bad enough waking up in a half-destroyed evil wizard's workshop with no eyebrows, no memories, and no idea how long you have before the Dread Lord Whomever shows up to murder you horribly and then turn your skull into a goblet or something.




It's a lot worse when you realize that Dread Lord Whomever is . . . you.




Gav isn't really sure how he ended up with a castle full of goblins, or why he has a princess locked in a cell. All he can do is play along with his own evil plan in hopes of getting his memories back before he gets himself killed.




But as he realizes that nothing-from the incredibly tasteless cloak adorned with flames to the aforementioned princess-is quite what it seems, Gav must face up to all the things the Dread Lord Gavrax has done. And he'll have to answer the hardest question of all-who does he want to be?




A high fantasy farce featuring killer moat squid, toxic masculinity, an evil wizard convocation, and a garlic festival. All at once. All in all, Dread Lord Gavrax has had better weeks.




20 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wild ride! Gav waking up as an evil wizard in a chaotic lair is such a fun twist. I love that he’s not into the whole "evil" thing and is trying to do better, even if he’s not great at it. The mix of humor and fantasy chaos sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right. Best plot twist! And with no memories he really wants something new...and better..cos being evil sucks

      Delete
  2. Ha! Now that sounds fun to have the evil wizard wake up and get a reset.

    Sophia Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fantastic! I'm adding it to my list. I love stories like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one just came on my radar today, and then I saw your review! Crazy timing. This sounds right up my alley, so definitely adding to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Losing your memory would be wild in a setting like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And so much going on, and he has no clues

      Delete
  6. I picked up a copy of this one last weekend, and am so glad to see you liked it! Even my daughter is interested in reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds fun! I hope he isn't actually evil. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like chaotic fun. This was an Aardvark Book Club pick for June and I was curious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This does sound entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I snagged an audio of this for review too. Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP