Monday 13 May 2024

Carole´s Monday


Title:
The Little Mermaid
Length: 2h 15m
Released: 2023
Genre:  Fantasy, Action/Adventure, Romance, Family
Rating: PG
Where I Got It: Disney+



SUMMARY:
The youngest of King Triton's daughters, Ariel is a beautiful and spirited young mermaid with a thirst for adventure. Longing to find out more about the world beyond the sea, Ariel visits the surface and falls for the dashing Prince Eric. Following her heart, she makes a deal with the evil sea witch, Ursula, to experience life on land.



REVIEW:
Well....I bit the bullet and decided to watch this. I'm not crazy about Live Action adaptions so I'm so picky on what I'll watch. This had such mixed reviews so I wasn't sure...well...the siren's call finally got me.

Here we have Ariel who is a mermaid and she wants more. She wants a different life...she wants to be human. This desire becomes more ardent when she sees Prince Eric and how amazing he is. He is compassionate, passionate, adventurous, kind to animals, and handsome. When her family won't listen, she turns to the evil sea witch to help. 

Oh Ariel you innocent gal. I will say this version of the Prince I can see why she fell for him. She actually got to see him in action and hear him speak. Any young gal would find it hard not to fall for him. 

Now...there are some minor changes to the plot and to some of the songs. I didn't mind them at all. I did appreciate the mention of the siren's song and how its magical and actually saved Eric at the same time as cursing him. That addition made me happy. I also loved the addition that when Ariel was turned she was given a little bit of amnesia. She couldn't remember the fact that she HAS to kiss him before the sun sets. I honestly felt like this made her not seem desperate. She got to know him and fall for him and then WANT to kiss just to kiss him. I liked that. 

I am SUPER bummed that they cut out the French cook. Booo! I loved his little feud with the crab and the song lives in my head rent free.

The cast was okay. Surprisingly....I felt the weakest was King Triton. The actor is amazing but...he didn't seem hot-headed enough for the role. He had the sad thing going well, but when he was supposed to be angry....I just didn't buy it. I loved our Ariel and our evil witch. The voice acting was fun! I liked how they made the creatures look like actual creatures. Very cute. 

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the whole race thing. People lost their minds. But let's be real....it's a damned mermaid in a FANTASY movie. Who cares? She had the red hair still and a beautiful voice. That's all Ariel really is. I found it interesting pretty much all the daughters were of a different race. That was different. Did they all have different moms? I'm curious about the lore there. 

But again......everyone chill on the race thing. It's a mermaid movie for kids. No one cared when they casted Brandy as Cinderella with an Asian prince who had a white dad and black mom..............Not sure why THIS is the hill people want to die on. The actress did a wonderful job and that is all I care about. 

All-in-all, I did enjoy this much more than I thought I would. Some changes were great...some cuts I missed, but not enough to naysay the whole film. This was fun and a nice nod to the original. Casting was 95% okay. I had some issues with King Triton (he was too kind). Def worth the watch if you like the original. I'll give this 4 stars.






ONE WORD SUMMARY: Surprising


1 comment:

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP