Monday 26 August 2024

Carole´s Monday: Mamma Mia

 



Title:
Mamma Mia
Length: 1h 48m
Released: 2008
Genre:  Comedy, Musical, Romance, Comedy
Rating: PG-13
Where I Got It: Max



SUMMARY:
Donna, an independent hotelier, is preparing for her daughter's wedding with the help of two old friends. Meanwhile Sophie, the spirited bride, has a plan. She invites three men from her mother's past in hope of meeting her real father.



REVIEW:
I have not seen this movie since 2008 when it first came out and I..............hated it. Oh boy. But I went to a Bachelorette party over the weekend and this was the movie the bride wanted to watch. SOOOOO 2nd chance? Sure. 

The majority of us have a vague idea of what this is about. But the story is about Donna and her daughter, Sophie. All Sophie's life she never knew who her father truly was. After finding her mom's diary she realizes there could be THREE men who could possibly be the dad. There is Sam who was the love of Donna's life but it ended bad. Or it could be Bill or Harry who were pretty much rebounds. The whole story is told through Abba songs.

This was a 2nd chance, in a way, for this movie. I watched this back when it was released in 2008 and I was a teen. I scoffed at it and didn't like it. I was a movie"snob" if you will. But I was obsessed with the Twilight films? Ahhhhh teenagers man. I was a little unsure of re-watching this, but I'm a sucker for musicals now...plus I do adore Abba. 

Okay....there are some weird story points here and it is all very, very, VERRRRYYYY cheesy. However......I did have fun with it. I could see myself re-watching this again if the crowd demands it. 

The music was fabulous. The dance numbers fun. The actors they have??? Mamma mia did they get a hell of a cast. 

The story had a lot of faults and the ending....talk about Hallmark-y. However, it was amusing. Unrealistic, but amusing nonetheless. 

OH! A scene worth mentioning that actually did tug at my heart strings was the one with Sam and Donna. That song always gets me, but Donna singing it to Sam? Uuuuuuuuuggggggghhhhh, please pass the tissue! It got me. Lovely. 

I am curious about the sequel, but I know what kind of happens there and so I'm unsure if I will. Maybe if the crowd demands it then sure I will. 

All-in-all, for all of the weird plot points, unrealistic moments, and cheesy-ness.....this is an experience. The music is wonderful (it's Abba dammit) and the cast is great. Is it the best film ever? Nah. But it is amusing. 3 stars from me. 


ONE WORD SUMMARY: Lively






6 comments:

  1. I loved the music score in this one, but yeah, plot was a cheesy one. Glad it improved with the second try.

    Sophia Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I was going to feel bad hating it even after all this time.

      Delete
  2. Lol! Hard to measure up to the Twilight films! Actually, I loved them and the books. Never did watch this one. I'm not one for musicals.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP