Thursday 10 May 2012

Review: The Duke and I - Julia Quinn


After enduring two seasons in London, Daphne Bridgerton is no longer naive enough to believe she will be able to marry for love. But is it really too much to hope for a husband for whom she at least has some affection?

Her brother's old school friend Simon Bassett - the new Duke of Hastings - has no intention of ever marrying. However, newly returned to England, he finds himself the target of the many marriage-minded society mothers who remain convinced that reformed rakes make the best husbands. To deflect their attention, the handsome hell-raiser proposes to Daphne that they pretend an attachment. In return, his interest in Daphne will ensure she becomes the belle of London society with suitors beating a path to her door...

There's just one problem, Daphne is now in danger of falling for a man who has no intention of making their charade a reality.


Series: Bridgertons #1, Genre: Historical romance, Pages: 339, Published: 2006 (2000) by Piatkus, Source: my own

My thoughts:
It seems that this was not my first Bridgerton book, now I had actually read the 8th and last first, but totally forgotten about it since it had bored me a bit. I can't even remember what happened in it..a wedding and a carriage at the end? Well I am pleased to say that this one was better and it did not matter that I read out of order. Welcome to the Out of Order reading club.

Oh and I did try to read..book 3? And gave up cos I just grew angry...end of story (even if it still annoys me).

Still I do prefer her newer books, but I did enjoy this first Bridgerton books and all the siblings (8 if you are wondering). But at the moment only 4 are out and about. Daphne is nice and all, but men just want to be her friend. We all know men can be such idiots sometimes. I did like her in the book too, she was fun and I am sure we would have been friends.

The hero, well he has issues, he had stutter as a kid and the relationship with his dad was horrible. He is carrying a lot of anger. Even though we know that this well end up in a HEA there are obstacles first as he never wants to marry or have kids. Poor guy is pretty messed up.

The tone is fun and cute. They fit so well together from the very beginning. Yes Simon was an ass, yes maybe Daphne should have know better. But the drama at the end was actually one of the best parts. It seems I like an unhappy couple who has to solve a big crisis.

Conclusion:
Sweet is the word. Sweet with sugar on top, but at the end there is some salt, but then it's all sugar and happiness again.


44 comments:

  1. I read my first Julia Quinn book just the other day, having got it for review after hearing good things about her. I think I'll have to read some more soon. It seems like the sort of story where you can guess the ending but is still fun to read.

    ~Ailsa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well since this is HR I can always guess the ending ;) Just not how they finally get there.

      I really liked her..oh what was the series called? What happens in London, The Secret Diaries and a 3rd. They were fun

      Delete
  2. I read this one a few months ago and I enjoyed it. The drama at the end was good and I am hoping to read the next one in the series sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the drama cos it was so..dramalicious. I felt so sorry for them both but it just made it good

      Delete
  3. I have never read a Quinn book! I know shocked and appalled aren't you?
    your review made me laugh and I really needed that today. Excellent work my friend, and I will try to read Miss Quinn soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NEVER!?! You romance heathen you! Lol, she is one of my fav romance authors. Sure I have my ups and downs with her books. But that's life

      Delete
  4. Nice review Blodeuedd, I still need to start reading her books, apart from some anthologies I enjoyed very much, many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read one anthology where she was present and I sure enjoyed that one

      Delete
  5. Lol, you crack me up with your conclusion statement. Not sure this is for me but I do think the cover is cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Ia m glad you liked it. I wanted to make it cute

      Delete
  6. Not sure this is for me, but I am drawn to the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read a few by Julia Quinn and enjoyed them OK. I'd read this one for the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Piatkus covers are just really cute :D

      Delete
  8. I'm a big fan of Julia Quinn! I love all her books and am always counting the days until the next release! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is soon :D I hope it will be another good one

      Delete
  9. I used to be a fan of Bridgerton books, I think the one with the actual duke and the widow was my favorite, but nowadays I get bored with Julia really easily. I think I read this one, but I honestly can't remember what happened, although I remeber that the book was light and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Duke and the widow? Hm, dunno which one that is. I am just too new.

      Light and fun are at least good things to remember in the end. Not like the book I read where I remember nada

      Delete
  10. lol about the Out of Order reading club :)
    This sounds cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a member, I admit the truth now ;)

      Delete
  11. Sounds like the sort of book that could make your teeth fall out from the sweet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, it was not that too sweet, more cute sweet without teeth falling out

      Delete
  12. I'm the opposite, I like her older ones like this!! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like that they felt more cute than her newer books :)

      Delete
  13. sugar and sweet then salt...this review is hilarious ...I have read a few of her books and enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I had to find something to describe the book :)

      Delete
  14. So, I'm guessing don't expect greatness, but if you want to sweeten your reading a bit, then go for it. Might be a good summer read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, not great, but sweet and a fast read. Perhaps while you are out in the sun

      Delete
  15. sounds like a fun read while soaking up some sun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know I've not heard of this one, but the authors name looks familiar. Probably from here. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might just be..the 5th book I review by her ;)

      Delete
  17. I really can't tell if you mean to but your reviews always make me giggle. I have heard so much about this book so perhaps I'll check it out one day but not worry if I don't get to the rest of the series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told..no I do not mean too. But I get why you say that. Others have said that I do it in real life too. For me I am being normal and then think it's so funny. I guess there is a tiny comedian hidden in me, a very serious one

      Delete
  18. Although it's not my genre, I've been wanting to read this series. I've heard so many good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I definitely prefer the first four Bridgerton books to the latter four (I like not knowing who Lady Whistledown is) but for me, you can't really go wrong with any Julia Quinn novel. This is probably my 3rd favorite of this series (My favorite is The Viscount and I with Anthony's story).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder who Lady W is, and that is the fun part. not knowing. But yes I guess she is someone who marries a B later on

      Delete
  20. I love this cover and its so different from your typical historical romance cover. Plus its pink too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. If ever I am going to read this series, looks like this book would be it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love reading about characters that I would want to be my friend. It just makes it more fun. I'll look for this one on audio.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP