Saturday 17 November 2012

Lady Scoundrel Saturday: Lord of Scoundrels - Loretta Chase


Scorn, Sense and Sensitivity
Today is Part 3 of our Joint Review of this book, and I am up today as Sensitivity, though I feel more like Silly ;) Who is with me? ;=D

Part 1: Scorn aka Anachronist
Part 2: Sense aka Rameau

I have seen this one hailed as the best historical romance of all time. But this time I did not go in with any expectations this way or another. And yes it was a good book, those two were crazy and I am sure they will have a great deal of fun in their life together. But, did it make me want to read more by her? No, not really. Sure I would if the book showed up at my door, or at the library. Did it make me turn the page faster and faster? No, but I still wanted to read more.

The romance, oh this I liked. She was a spinster who knew about sex from her naughty grandmother. So when she felt lust, it felt ok. She was not one of those girls who went to pieces over a mere touch and then willingly spread their legs. Not she knew he was bad, but damn, if he is a virile beast then he is one. And she stood up for herself, she talked back and she....oh yes that scene, epic. Romance does not come like that anymore.

Dain, our hero with too many names was all messed up. His father had been an ass, his mother had left him and every told him he was the ugliest thing alive growing up. Issues for sure. Did he want the spinster who talked back? No, but she sure was an annoying thing and yup sure he wanted to tumble her later. So these two, hating each other, lusting for each other, being idiots together, well I believed it. I believed that she wanted to have him, I understood why she fell and why he did. That part she did well. No easy sex act and instalove. No one falling to pieces, instead two adults who are idiots.

So it was a fun and different historical romance. The sex even had to wait (YAY cos hello, prude here when it comes to HR).I just hate when they give it up too quickly when they do not even get what they are doing. ) But best HR ever? No, not really.

Cover Snark:
It's just so very boring, not so fitting if I think about it either.



30 comments:

  1. Yay, a lovely review my lady! It is certainly a different type of romance. I've seen very positive and very negative reviews of this book but for me one thing matters the most - the characters. If they are believable I am in. If they act in a logic way, I am in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were good, so very good. They truly felt real, so she did very well there. I wish more wrote like that

      Delete
  2. You a prude? I think not. You just have priorities for waiting the for the good thing. Good review even without the silliness you promised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well put my friend :)
      Oh silly me, I will just go with sensitivity then

      Delete
  3. I need to read this one after seeing you ladies all give your thoughts on it. I'm a prude when it comes to romance in historicals too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be a romance prude :) I want them to wait, to feel things. No being lost in the moment

      Delete
  4. I hate it when they give it up early too. Ruins the whole thing for me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it feels so wrong. Sometimes it works, but sometimes when it's way too early or fast, no way

      Delete
  5. I think I need to break down and read this one after all of your reviews for it. :) I had no idea this was considered one of the best historical romances ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A romance classic :) And yes after 3 reviews I think you might feel like it has to be read mowuwhahaha

      Delete
  6. Your review was the best. A hero with no self esteem and a spinster with lusty thoughts who don't exactly know how to it sounds interesting. I want to meet the lusty grandma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I did want more of the lusty grandma, she sounded like a hoot. She also collected naughty things

      Delete
  7. Ahaha, fantastic review, Blodeuedd! I so enjoyed this one because i adore Loretta. You have to read His At Night by Sherry Thomas - that's another very good HR with more strong and clever girls as main heroines :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, no I fear I stay way from Thomas ever since I read a book by her where they kept having sex with the other one while he or she slept. Creepy

      Delete
  8. Cute, and I liked your three reviews. This was one great review, made me smile and nod my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D I am glad that you enjoyed it. and Lexi I always wondered, do you have a blog?

      Delete
  9. Yes, love your review! Thank you. Finally someone I can agree with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading from your review this book sounds like a so so... therefore I'll take your lead and if this book falls into my lap I might read it but wouldn't go out of my way to get it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean it was good, most book I read are good. And yes I would read more, but to actually buy, it needs to be great, even if I buy some books that were just good

      Delete
  11. So it's really been called the best historical romance of all time? Then it needs a snazzier cover. ;) Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh noes! This is one of my all time favorite romances.

    The scene where Jess gives him the statue and he chokes up gets me every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to go all oh no! It was good, you know me, I am a harsh critique, I give everything a 3

      Delete
  13. It needs a much better cover if it is going to be the best historical romance of all time.

    I do remember people LOVING it. I haven't given it a whirl yet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. good job for her standing up for herself! I get so tired of some of these heroines turning into goo and bowing down to the man. lol.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP