Thursday 16 July 2009

Review: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
Book 1

Genre: futuristic
Pages: 448
Age: YA
Published: 2005

Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that?


Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license -- for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.


But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world -- and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

(fantastic fiction...I so need to write my own blurb one of these days, but in a hurry as usual)


Finally a YA that made me think more than ok, this was a good book that had a depth to it. A scary new world after we have destroyed ours. It's a world where everyone gets pretty when they are 16 and then they live happily ever after. Now what is wrong with that? Well all the pretties seems to have no mind of their own, and they all have the same look in a way. It's supposed to stop people from hating each other, and that is good. But no one has a personality except from being pretty. It's not a world where I would like to live.

Tally is like all the other kids, she hates being ugly, and she cannot wait for her operation. I find myself liking her, I cannot help it. She is a good heroine that does what she thinks is right. And she grows as a person through out the book, and she learns the meaning of ugly, and pretty. The she meets Shay who doesn't want to have the operation. I am rather partial to Shay. Then there is the mysterious David, the one who frees the uglies. Him I like.

We learn how we destroyed the earth, oh that was creepy and made me fearful. One big accident. Because of this a new world was built, where pretty rule. I like his critique on society here. It gives the book depth and meaning. It's not just some futuristic YA book, I really understand why it became as big as it did. It's not like the other YA books I have read lately, and the subject fits the age group perfectly. I do not know if it would have worked as good with an adult theme.

I do recommend this book, it will make you think, and it's nicely written. Of course I read it in Swedish so I can't say where and how the translation played in. That is made is easier or things like that. Because if this was a good book, then is sure must be better in it's original language. Westerfeld is a good author and I really want to read book 2 now. Too bad I didn't pick it up the day it came to the library. If I had only known. This one restored my hope in YA again.

It has a good cast, a good story, and that depth behind it makes it a good book. And I do like a book that makes me think and feel. I am happy with my read.



29 comments:

  1. I knew you'd get to this book long before I would. lol. Glad you liked it. I'm going to have to take it out again as I never read it when I had it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. B,

    My daughter has read these - but I had no idea how interesting they were. :) I think she may have one or two on her shelf. I am going to have to check this series out. :)

    Thanks for the wonderful review.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it. It really is a terrific trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Blodeuedd!

    I'm so adding this to my to be read list!! Sounds really good, great review!!!

    If you want to check out my entry over at Clarity of Night, it under Dottie Taylor, I think it's entry #74.

    Thanks for the recommendation!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting book Blodeuedd! I am glad that this book restored your faith in the YA books!

    I am also loving your new banner. You always find very beautiful art work to depict romance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dar,
    I couldn't help it, my curiosity took the best of me. Do read it, it's good, and I like his take on things.

    Michelle,
    Then she has good taste in books. Did she like them? Anyway I enjoyed the ride. So worth it.

    Scrap girl,
    Do, do :D

    maija P,
    It sure is, and did I read that he has written a fourth. So cool

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dottie,
    Must have missed you, I thought I looked at them, but it's like that. Always when you are searching.
    It was a good book, really good YA.

    Cecile,
    It sure did. I am so glad I picked it up. Such an interesting story. I can't wait to see what happens next in the series.

    Hehe, thanks, the problem for me is finding big enough pics to crop. But it was a nice one...if you don't know the story. That guy is shouting that they are going to war

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you liked this book. I've heard good things about it, and I plan to read it someday.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, thanks for the review. I saw this series at Borders in package deal for all three books. My stepdaughter really wants to read these books, looks like we're going to get them and the both will read the books. Again Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent review!! I brought this book home so that I could read it over the summer!! I can't wait to get to it now!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anna,
    It was good, so I am sure it will be worth it.

    Donna,
    I am sure she will enjoy them, and great deal cos then you sure gets to read them too. Oh how I too want more now, but they have only just translated the second book, and they didn't have them in English at the library

    I hope you will enjoy it Staci. I can't wait to hear what you thinks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, there is a fourth book and if I remember correctly it's based on the same world as the first three parts. But the characters are new, or something like that. I haven't read it :) The first three books were enough for me, but perhaps I'll read the 4th one in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really want to read this one, too. I have seen it doing the rounds and it is on my TBR list. You've just moved it up a notch! LOL



    Have a great weekend! If you would like to seem them my Friday Fill in can be found HERE!

    And here's my Friday Find

    Hugs

    Sassy
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is in my TBR pile, I'm not sure it'll be my cup of tea but will read it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't realize this was the plot of the book. Great idea. Adding it to my tbr as we speak. Thanks B!

    ReplyDelete
  16. maija P,
    Yes I don't wnat things to go on forever. I should go and google him a bit. But every time I do that I get spoilers. So no fun.

    Sassy Brit,
    I am sure you will enjoy it. A really good book.
    I do need to do a Friday find one of these days. You had a good one-

    Sumthinblood,
    I wans't sure if it was for me either but I just liked his take on it.

    Jenny girl,
    Good news, I do hope you will like it. If not for the story then for the thoughts it evoke

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you liked this one. I've enjoyed the entire series.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Cathy,
    Good news for me then, I just need that second book now

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really enjoyed this book too! Well written and thoughtful. I find a lot of newer YA is very good. I wish they had more of this around when I was actually a young adult.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is one of my favorite YA series that I've read in a while. I'm glad you enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Meghan,
    I was in YA age not long ago, but yes they didn't have much. Mostly things written here, the good stuff werent being translated yet. I started reading adult books at 10 so kind of jumped the whole age group. Fun to go back now when there is good stuff around.

    Alyce,
    So good, I was impressed by him so it was a truly great read

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for a great review, sounds very different, definitely something that appeals to me so will add it to my wishlist :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Teddyree,
    I am sure you would enjoy this book. Great and different.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I couldn't really get into this one, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loved this book! The rest of the series aren't as good but still worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Carol,
    Too bad, but everyone sure likes different books. I know, there are many I haven't been able to get into.

    Debbie,
    Not as good, how disappointing. But I will cross that bridge when I get to it. But if it's still worth reading, I hope so

    ReplyDelete
  27. Blodeuedd..
    I read this as an ARC when it first came out. Ironically, it was an 8th grade student who had the ARC ans said that I had to read it.
    I really liked it, and ended up book talking it to my classes.
    I'm glad you liked it.
    Wisteria

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wisteria,
    It was really good, and I will sure look for YA in the future thanks to it

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP