Wednesday 15 July 2009

Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz


Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
Book1

Pages: 320
Age :YA
Genre: Paranormal
Published: 2007

Within New York City’s most elite families, there lurks a secret society of celebrated Americans whose ancestors sailed on the Mayflower. They are the powerful and the wealthy—and in fact, they are not human. They are the Blue Bloods, an ancient group of vampires.

Schuyler Van Alen has never fit in at Duchesne, her prestigious New York City private school. She prefers baggy, vintage clothes instead of the Prada and pearls worn by her classmates, and she lives with her reclusive grandmother in a dilapidated mansion. Schuyler is a loner—and happy that way.

But when she turns fifteen, Schuyler’s life changes dramatically. She has a mosaic of blue veins on her arms, and craves raw meat. The death of a popular girl from Duchesne is surrounded by a mystery that haunts her. And strangest off all, Jack Force, the most popular boy in school, is showing a sudden interest in her.

Schuyler wants to find out the secrets the Blue Bloods are keeping. But is she herself in danger?
(Author's site)

I don't know about this one, it was another ok book. It was good, and I wanted to know what happened next but something just made it ok for me. It might be that I don't enjoy reading about preppy bitchy kids, neither do I want to watch them on tv. Same things with preppy bitchy adults. That might have ruined it a bit for me. Gossip Girl with vampires, well if I must.

I liked Schuyler, she was not like the rest. Ste stands out with her clothes and her ways. So I did like her, and her friend Oliver. But then there are the preppy kids, nope I can't like Jack Force even if he is pretty decent. But I just don't fall for him. And I sure do not like his sister Mimi, then again you are not meant to like her. Blair, the new girl is actually rather ok and her I can connect with. But there is something missing in some of her actions.

I spent half of the book waiting for something good to happen. I didn't want high school drama, I wanted vampires. The finally I started to get some answers about the whole vampire deal. And here I like what Melissa de la Cruz does, she weaves a great history and mythology surrounding the origins of vampires, about different kinds of blood and how vampires live. A very interesting part that made me very thirsty for more. This was the best thing about the book.

The story, it started and then it ended and left me hanging. Nothing happened in a way, and I want to know more. Here is to hoping I get to read the next 3 books. Because in the end, many books I read I only feel ok about. That sure doesn't mean they are bad, no I need to know what happens in this series. I am curious about Schuyler (just don't do what I did and read the blurbs on the other books, I did spoil some things for me there. But in the end it left me really wanting to read the books.)

Not that much romance, not that much action, perhaps if you have watched Gossip girl and shows like that and enjoy them then this is the one for you. Cos vampires sure makes it so much better.




20 comments:

  1. I felt similar with this book that is why I have the next two books but have not read them. I heard great things about the books but was a bit disappointed in the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a shame. It sounded so good from the synopsis. I am unsure whether to add it to my list or not. I do love a vampire book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this one because I love the premise of them being vamps..how they have all their memories of the past. However, nothing really happens in this book..maybe book two will pick it up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Blodeuedd

    Blue Bloods was an interesting read and I enjoyed it, but the next book is better. We finally learn why Jack and Mimi are destined to be together even though they're brother and sister in this life. We also find out why Jack is so attracted to Schuyler.

    If you can stick out one more book, it gets better, but also more convoluted. Story more involving.

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Blodeuedd..

    That the problem I have with some YA books - they just never go far even to mean business.

    There's always a whistfullness to them - keeping you hanging, hoping for something to come...

    I hope the other three turn out better for you...

    However it's not nice when the foundation book lets you down...

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sundcarrie
    maybe many feel the same then, and in the end not much happened. But I do want to read more.

    Scrap girl,
    I know it does sound tempting. Read it if you stumble upon it, and look for the rest. Supposedly better those.

    Mandi,
    I liked that too, all those memories, and still being vamps. A nice twist to it. But yes nothing happened, I do hope book 2 will get some more action.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dottie,
    That was kind of sick, I knew, no one is related in a way but still. Weird, and wrong. I just didn't like that. But I sure wanna know why he is attracted to Schyler, or her mum. Want to know more about Michael and Gabrielle for sure.

    If it shows up, yup I will read it at once. It has promise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi EH,
    I never thought about it like that but you are right. YA books do have a tendency to do that.
    Hm, did it really let me down, not in a way cos I knew I could feel this way. Not the book in a way, it's the background. but it was good, I just wanted more

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have read this series. All except the one coming out in September I think. The books do get better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to know Anna,
    Because the blub on those books sounded really good. maybe I should sent a note to the library that they should get more

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved your honest thoughts on this one Bloduedd. I don't read hardly any YA but just in case I get the urge, I'll be steering clear of this one. I hate bitchy teenagers too. Yuck!

    ;) VFG

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not a Gossip Girl fan at all!! I checked this book out too so now I'm hoping that I'll like it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know I feel a lot like you with the books I've been reading recently, they're just okay. I also felt the same way about this book, well until the point where I stopped reading it. I hate preppy, bitchy kids and adults, as well in books and on TV. I feel they live in a bubble and that's not what 95% of earth's population's live are like.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "I don't enjoy reading about preppy bitchy kids, neither do I want to watch them on tv. Same things with preppy bitchy adults. That might have ruined it a bit for me."

    Agree!!! I'm really ticked off that there are so many of those books around. What are they teaching today's generation?!?

    I started reading Gossip Girl three years ago and I really couldn't get past three chapters because I found it so vapid!

    ReplyDelete
  15. VFG,
    I am having a YA moment right now, trying out what they have. So far only one have made me go yes. Will review that one today. That was good ya, not like this ok one. Also yes way too little vamp action.

    Staci,
    I can't wait for your thoughts, I hope you like it. If not, then ok books can be nice too.

    Lilly,
    It's sad really, one ok book after another, I want more. Well I did get more with Angel's Game. But then again most books I read are just ok. At least I managed to get through this, it was so near that point that I wanted that.

    I know, they are everywhere, and I can't stand it. I don't wanna see them or read about them. If aliens are watching us, on tv only, they will think this is such a bitchy world

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sumthinblue,
    I have no idea, it's sad where the world is going.
    I haven't read them but I watched the first ep cos everyone said it was great...I barely made it through. Totally not for me

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've heard good things about this book, but if they're all snobby characters, I don't think I'd be interested. I can't stand shows like Gossip Girl. Great review, as always!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anna,
    Well the main character is not snobby, luckily cos I wouldn't have made it then. But it's a snobby environment since all is uber rich. That was my problem

    ReplyDelete
  19. So this one didn't really grab me and it took months for me to even pick up the next book but now I am totally hooked and can't wait for the next book to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Debbie,
    I sure had the same feeling, but good to hear that they get better. In a way it's good since the library don't have teh rest so I can wait

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP