Sunday 22 November 2009

Review: Fire Study - Maria V Snyder


Fire Study by Maria V Snyder
The Study series 3

Genre: YA fantasy
Pages: 448
Published: 2008

The apprenticeship is over— now the real test has begun.

When word that Yelena is a Soulfinder—able to capture and release souls—spreads like wildfire, people grow uneasy. Already Yelena's unusual abilities and past have set her apart. As the Council debates Yelena's fate, she receives a disturbing message: a plot is rising against her homeland, led by a murderous sorcerer she has defeated before.


Honor sets Yelena on a path that will test the limits of her skills, and the hope of reuniting with her beloved spurs her onward. Her journey is fraught with allies, enemies, lovers and would-be assassins, each of questionable loyalty. Yelena will have but one chance to prove herself—and save the land she holds dear. 


I am sorry to say that I did not enjoy this last book. It took a week to read it because I just could not read long enough each time. Nothing kept me wanting more.

The first book was excellent, the second wasn't excellent but it was still great and I could not put it down. This one was ok, and I could easily put it down. It was rather dull at times and for a book named Fire it did not have the same fire and essence like the first two. I really thought I had found an amazing series, but considering book 1 she could have done better.

Yelena has lost her fire and not she is only a Mary Sue. People love her, or they hate her. Nothing in between. She is always in trouble. And even people who are enemies become friends because they both parties love her, oh very well.

The book has so much promise. Wicked magicians who steal powers and kill people. A forbidden lovestory that just drifts away and there is no danger or anything forbidden there. Everyone just accepts that she loves the scourge of all magicians. But it does not evolve and bring that darkness to this one. It's so light and easy to read even if there are massacres and more. Too light really.

Here wicked magicians wants to rule Sithia and Ixia and gain power. She wants to stop them, so she has to feel the country, and honestly I did finish it today but i am already starting to forget what happened. It does not stay with me.

Also the ending, yes good in a way and an ending, but at the same time not and I felt we were left hanging there.

I hate saying these things, but frankly it could have been done like book 1 and made into pure excellence, but sadly it was not.


Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: Still a lovely cover, a bit hard to see though. But it goes well with the theme.
Why I read it: My own book
Final Thoughts: 3. I am afraid that in the future I will just read book 1 and 2.



16 comments:

  1. It's hard to be so candid, but you said it well. I have had to struggle finishing books like this and often just give up. I recently had a book for Library Thing, The Invasion that was like that. Awfully painful to read for me. I hate the obligation and I will find it hard reading another book by this author. Others may like it but not me.

    Thanks for the review. Wisteria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wisteria,
    It was sad really, cos I mean I loved her first book, and i seldom put books on my keeper shelf but I did so with the first.
    But after this book, well I don't wanna go out and buy her new series. Sad really

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am truly sorry that you spent all that time invested in these 3 books only to be so disappointed in the last book. I was thinking about reading the series but now I won't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh man! I hate when series end like that. I want to be left with a feeling of satisfaction and all ends tied up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sorry that the third book completely sucked. I know how disappointed you are. Find yourself a good book and fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How disappointing! I have no real desire to continue with this series any time soon. And of course I PURCHASED the books :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just offered a copy of her short stories called 'THE STORIES in BETWEEN' so I wish your review was better but I'll still read them I'm sure.
    Thanks for sharing and have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know why I've hesitated reading this series. But I'm even more so after reading your review. I'll probably look elsewhere. I appreciate your opinion and thanks for your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Staci,
    It sure made me sad, but considering book 1 and 2 it was still worth it. I just wished the greatness could have continued.

    Donna,
    I am the same, I need all ends tied up. Here it was just so so, I don't know.

    Jenny Girl,
    I shall take that advise :)

    Aarti,
    Sighs, I know, I did too! :( But it was the only way to get them

    ReplyDelete
  10. Romantic,
    Perhaps they are better, since I loved book 1, so she is a good author.

    Alyssa,
    Book 1 is certainly worth reading, and then you could just read a spoiler to find out what happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Blodeuedd, I am sorry that this book did not hold it's fire up for you. It really is a disappointment too, especially when you liked the first one some much. Well.... Here is to a not so great book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cecile,
    I am so disappointed too, I expected so much from these books, and I just hate that my expectations did not hold up :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I so hate it when a trilogy or series leads up to great things and then frizzles to nothing but an overall *meh* feeling. Like you said; enjoy book 1 and 2 for all it is worth then ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leontine
    I know, talk about disappointing, but like you said, if 2 were great then it does not matter if the 3 wans't to my taste

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi B!

    Haven't read this series yet, it did look good, but I hate it when in the middle of a series, I get a big let down.

    Still, I may look this one up!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dottie,

    It was a bumpy ride, but I am at least glad to have book 1. So you can always read only that one ;)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP