Tuesday 17 November 2009

Review: Magic Study - Maria V Snyder


Magic Study by Maria V Snyder
The Study series, book 2

Genre: YA fantasy
Published: 2006
Pages: 448

You know your life is bad when you miss your days as a poison taster . . .

With her greatest enemy dead, and on her way to be reunited with the family she'd been stolen from long ago, Yelena should be pleased. But though she has gained her freedom, she can't help feeling isolated in Sitia. Her Ixian background has changed her in many ways -- and her newfound friends and relatives don't think it's for the better .
Despite the turmoil, she's eager to start her magic training -- especially as she's been given one year to harness her power or be put to death. But her plans take a radical turn when she becomes involved with a plot to reclaim Ixia's throne for a lost prince - and gets entangled in powerful rivalries with her fellow magicians.

If that wasn't bad enough, it appears her brother would love to see her dead. Luckily, Yelena has some old friends to help her with all her new enemies .  
 
 
 I did like this book, perhaps not as much as book 1 but that is often the case. It was a great start to a series. This one is a bit lighter in its tone, and even if it deals with some dark things it feels more YA and safe. Let's see if I can get some darkness in book 3.

Here Yelena is back in her birth land, and she remembers nothing. She finds her family in the jungle and soon she is too leave and go with Irys to the Academy of magic. Here she is to learn about her powers. But she soon finds herself in trouble. Her brother hates her, and everyone else sees her as a spy from Ixia. She really does not have any friends, but she does have a way of finding her way anyway.
 
She does have a way of making enemies and friends, oh my now I really see what Aarti from Booklust meant. Well I shall not mention it any more, but she does have a good point.

The romance was a bit lacking here, and I did find one thing strange. In the last book she and Valek discovered they loved each other. It went pretty quickly, bit too quick. And here when they finally met again he kept calling her love, and she never did say anything. Bah, who am I not to believe in sudden love and soul mates. Good for them. She sure needs a strong man and that she got. He needs a good woman who can keep him on his toes. And she does get into a lot of trouble.

I got to meet some favs from the first book and some new favs, like her horse. Trust me, it's a good horse.

This book deals with magic, finding yourself, and fighting for what you think is right. She finally gets a real family, but I do wonder. More things are to come, more problems with her magic and especially with her lover. All of Sitia hates Valek since he kills everyone with magic in Ixia. That part I have a problem with too, how can these parts get a nice ending? I guess she will go back to Ixia with him, not that I am too fond of Ixia either. I don't like the military dictatorship they have over there, and Snyder seems to be preferring it cos Sithia has beggars and Ixia has not.

But it was a good book, I could not stop reading and it was an easy and light read. I liked it a lot. Snyder creates good characters and worlds.

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: There are many different ones but this cover series is my fav. They are beautiful, and this one really shows the second book for was it is about.

Reason for Reading: My own Book.

Final Thoughts: 4 and with a recommendation for reading this series.




21 comments:

  1. I just love books that are so much with suspense you cant just stop reading them. This one sounds very good. Havent read the first one, but I already have them on my long tbr list.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to read the first one of these. I am so slow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm seriously going to read this series at some point!!! Great review on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nina,
    I do love the Study books, so decided to start book 3 today, I meant to hold a little break but I just can't

    Vivienne,
    Oh do, and if so I hope it suits you :)

    Staci,
    Lol, it can be like that with some books but hey I am sure you will get there one day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha- glad you understood what I meant about the strong possibility of Yelena becoming a Mary Sue. Sad that it seemed to happen :-( I'll still read this one and its sequel, though. Soon, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Blodeuedd!!! Wonderful review!! I do love the cover. There is a hit of mystery about it. I really like it!
    Sorry to hear that this one did not grab you like the first one.
    Love your choices! Hope you have a great day honey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been awhile since I've read a series book, but sometimes the books could be rather uneven in terms of quality. Hope Book 3 is better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the covers for this series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi :)
    Thank you for the thoughtful review.
    All the best,
    RKCharron
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was one of the best series that I have read, I think I read the whole series in about four days, I couldn't put them down! Since reading this series, I have been looing for a book that can grip me as much as they did, I haven't found one yet!
    Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog!
    Hugs, Bethxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aarti,
    She does seem very much like a Mary Sue, ok she is one. Well I still liker her and the books. I had to start book 3 cos could not wait.

    Cecile,
    I kind of knew it would, nothing can live up to a good book sometimes. And I had heard people thought this one not as good.
    Oh the cover is lovely and yes so fitting.

    DC,
    I sure hope so, if not then they are still great books

    ReplyDelete
  12. Donna,
    I know they are lovely, too bad I have the oh so girly YA ones.

    Thanks RK :D
    It is a lovely series.

    Beth,
    I know they are great. Even if book 2 wasn't as great as 1 I still could not put it down. All day today I thought about book 3 in my bag ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, if there is a third one in the series, I hope it catches your attention again!! =)
    Have a great day honey!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cecile,
    I am already reading book 3 and hoping it will be good. And more valek and romance, he is such a nice guy..well for an assassin ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard a lot of good things about this series. I really need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I keep getting some weird error when I comment. I assume they're going thru, though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm going to start reading this series. I've heard such good things. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have heard so much good things about this author and these book...

    All the covers on her books are beautiful.... All the international covers are as striking as the US cover...

    loved to hear your thoughts...

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  19. Carol,
    Oh, strange, but yes both came through!
    Great series, at least book 1.

    Alyssa,
    Do start, she is a great character, gotta like her

    EH;
    I do love pretty covers and these are my favs :D
    I am glad I took the chance and tried her book

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP