Friday 6 November 2009

Review: Naughty neighbor - Janet Evanovich

Naaughty Neighbour by Janet Evanovich

Published: 1992
Genre: Contemp romance/chick-litish

Trouble in His Eyes and in His Wicked Grin...
He was a handsome hell-raiser, a reckless crusader in low-slung jeans - and he was driving Louisa Brannigan crazy! Pete Streeter made terrible coffee, snatched her newspaper, and listened through her walls, but it wasn't until she got fired from her government job that she was persuaded to join his undercover investigation - and became hopelessly entangled with the sexiest man she'd ever met!
Love on the Lam
Sneaking around in the shadows was more fun than Louisa ever imagined... especially when the getaway car was a Porsche. Pete never figured on finding a partner in crime who tasted like dessert, but louisa was all he wanted in a woman - and more. Once he'd taught Louisa to enjoy living on the edge, would she finally feel safe in his love?


I am gonna make this short since it was on audio and let's face it, I suck a audio. I got annoyed at the narrator, and some voices made me grind my teeth. It took so long and I must have rolled my eyes a hundred times over.

Louisa was now and again TSTL, and honestly so was he once or twice too. He was a macho pig, and she was a wimp and complained all the time. I did not like either of them.

But then we get to the real problem, it was audio, perhaps I could have liked them in a book, perhaps then I could have laughed (cos I read people laugh cos of this book).

I just do not know, let's blame it on that it was an audiobook. Sure I have read another one of Evanovich earlier tries and it was mediocre, and now where near her Plum novels but this one would deserve better too.

I am not an audio book kind of girl.

Blodeuedd's Cover thoughts:  Very cute :)
Why I read it: Well listened
1, I will stick to reading books. And if anyone loving Evanovich has read it then tell me if it's better to read it.




16 comments:

  1. B,

    Another one too stupid to live? Don't ya just hate that?

    I have never listened to an audio book - but I don't like to listen to people read aloud - so I am sure audio books are not my cuppa.

    As far as Evanovich books go - I'm sticking with Stephanie. :)

    Have a great weekend.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read anything by Ms. Evanovich. I have the first three Stephanie books but haven't gotten to reading them yet. I didn't know she wrote anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried one of her earlier ones on audio once, too. I don't think I got past chapter 3. Of course, I'm not much of a Plum fan either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to have bad luck listening to audio books. Love to read them. I'm a Stephanie Plum fan. I think her other books are not as strong (good).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not had any luck with audio books so I will continue to read too!! I like Stephanie so I don't venture out into her other books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I try this one I think I'll grab the book :) And I just adore this cover! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I listen to audio books all the time and love them. The quality of the reader, readers, is important. Have listened to the several of the Stephanie Plum books and they were well done. These other chick-lit books are romantic fluff. Whether read or listened to, there isn't going to be much substance.
    I read Nora Roberts' Circle Trilogy and enjoyed it. About a year later I listened to it on CD and enjoyed it so much more. The reader did an excellent job with the voices. I always have about 3 books I'm reading and one I'm listening to. It's the only way I can "read" even a portion of the books I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle,
    oh yes those TSTL annoys me to death, sometimes it can work but when they keep on being stupid, sighs.
    That is the spirit, stick with Plum she rocks my socks off!
    As for audiobooks, I will never be concerted.

    Patti,
    This is what she wrote in the early days.
    But read Stephanie, I LOVE those books! They are hysterical.

    Carol,
    Oh I should have given up but I listened to it while washing the dishes. But Plum is way superior.

    Mary,
    Audio books are so, blah. They need a great narrator to keep me focused. Some just try to play too much and the voices annoy me.
    I'll keep to real books, and Plum

    ReplyDelete
  9. Staci,
    It is much safer to stick with Steph. She was still finding her way in these earlier books and they are not up to standard.
    Audio, nope.

    Krista,
    Oh yes please go with the book. I am sure that one would be better. The cover is adorable though :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linrarypat,
    Yes the quality of the reader is so important. If I am to listen to a voice for hours it needs to be good.
    But perhaps the Plum ones have another voice, a better one.

    Nah not much substance, just annoying characters. i can live with fluff, I can read fluff but I sure cannot listen to fluff!

    I read listen to a Gaiman book and he is an excellent reader, his voice was magic! More of that please.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read anything by her, either. But hey, I am quite partial to audio books, but it can be difficult to take it all in, if it is a complexed plot etc, and you are doing something else. Well, I find so. :) I do love the cover - what a cute pig! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read the print version of this one. It was a sweet romance, but wasn't one of her better ones. It's also an older romance redone for the present. Sometimes those don't transfer to the current times very well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sassy Brit,
    This was truly not a complex plot so that did not play in. For me it must be a great narrator, or else, no.

    Yvonne,
    Dunno why they must re-do them, could she just not keep them like they are. But yes Plum are much better

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry the audio was disappointing. My husband will take audio books out of the library for us to listen to on long trips, and if the narrator is annoying, I turn it off right away!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Blodeuedd!

    I love the too stupid to live, lol, when the heroine is that stupid and the hero sucks too, there just no hope for the book.

    I usually love audio books, but I haven't tried this author before, even to read. I've picked up her books, but never manage to take them home. I wonder if reading would improve the story.

    Great review, I loved it, lol!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anna,
    I guess i suffered through it, but yes for audio to be good I need an amazing narrator and this did not work at all.

    Dottie,
    Haha oh yes sometimes they are just so arrrrghh.

    Evanovich is lovely but my advice stay with the Plum novels cos I have not been to fond of her other books. Talked to a friend yesterday and she did say the audio did not work for the Plum ones either

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP