Wednesday 4 November 2009

Review: On The Edge by Ilona Andrews


On The Edge by Ilona Andrews
The Edge, book 1

Published: 2009
Pages:
Genre: Urban rural Fantasy/ Romance

Rose Drayton lives on the Edge, between the world of the Broken (where people drive cars, shop at Wal-Mart, and magic is a fairy tale) and the Weird (where blueblood aristocrats rule, changelings roam, and the strength of your magic can change your destiny). Only Edgers like Rose can easily travel from one world to the next, but they never truly belong in either.

Rose thought if she practiced her magic, she could build a better life for herself. But things didn’t turn out how she planned, and now she works a minimum wage, off the books job in the Broken just to survive. Then Declan Camarine, a blueblood noble straight out of the deepest part of the Weird, comes into her life, determined to have her (and her power).

But when a terrible danger invades the Edge from the Weird, a flood of creatures hungry for magic, Declan and Rose must work together to destroy them—or they’ll devour the Edge and everyone in it . . .


I really enjoyed it this book. It was fast paced, it got witty, it had such a great kick-ass heroine and an world I longed to explore. I was quite taken.

The world is not what it seems, there is our world, The Broken, the place between called The Edge and then there is The Weird were magic roams free. Some people in our world know about these other two, on The Edge there lives people with some magic and The Weird is just filled with it.  Rose lives on The Edge, she is poor, and hankering to get food on the table and gas so that she can get to her job in the Broken. She also takes care of her two little brothers. Most Edgers are poor as her, but it is still better then The Broken since there is no magic there.

Along comes a guy with a sword, and well she knows better then talk to Blue Blood noblemen from The Weird. They think they can rule and everyone will do as they say. Let's just say that Declan and Rose does not see eye to eye at first. But strange creatures are coming into The Edge and she does need him, just as he wants her, and her magic.

I really like Rose, she has the world on her shoulder but she still has hope and a smile on her face (well sometimes, that is around those she care for). She loves the boys, and I liked them too. They are adorable and perfect for the book. She can be kick-ass if she wants to, living on The Edge has shaped her that way because she has not had an easy life.

Declan well, I had to warm up to him since he was all macho Blue Blood at first, but I warmed to him and kept hoping for some kind of HEA and romance.

There is also some much history about he family, about the Weird, and I found it fascinating, I would like to have know even more. But I guess we will get to in later books.

It also had some great quotes, that one about wallmart and guns, well a classic. But this one showed another part:

"Georgie, stop trying to resurrect the shoes. They were never alive in the first place." 

I do like that she has some hint of humor in there too.

It has some nice action, and I can seldom say this but I absolutely loved the end. It was funny and fitting the book. And it does promise more and I can't wait.


Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: Love it, Rose against that car is so her. Big towering head I am not so sure of. I would rather have seen him towering around with Blue Blood clothes cos now he is just there for show.

Reason I read it: My own book

Final Thoughts: 4, and I do recommend it



26 comments:

  1. Great review hon!
    And the shoe quote made me laugh again! Love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. B,

    I have this one on my wish list. I'm so glad you enjoyed it - a 4!!! - that is a great score. I know how strict you are with your scoring system. LOL

    This is a must have after your great review. :)

    Have a wonderful day.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool you should just review this book. I was getting ready to order it! Now I will. It sounds interesting with the other worlds. And it has gotten great reviews on amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a witty, action packed book! Loved it as well! Can't wait to learn more about William..yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been meaningto read one of her books for ages. I remember looking them up before Christmas last year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susi,
    Gotta love the shoe quote!
    It was great, I am glad I asked on twitter what i should read and you said this one. Got me over a reading slump

    Michelle,
    Oh you have noticed, yes I am afraid I am very strict. No one will ever get a 5 out of me, except for those 2 that already have gotten from me.
    So yes 4 is totally excellent :D
    It was fun, cute and just made me wanna read

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy,
    I do think you could like it :)
    And I am very intrigued by the Weird, we do not learn much now but I sure hope we learn more in the next. This one was about The Edge, a pretty cool place.
    I am so glad I read it, and now I am curious about her other books.

    Mandi,
    hehe, I did fancy William too. I hope he shows up more, it must be the girl in me who wants a wolf

    Vivienne,
    Dunno about her other series, but at least this one seems to be fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice review - I finished this book last week and enjoyed it. I still like her Kate Daniels series better, but this one was good too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a new book/author to me. Great review... you know how I can tell... my debit card is running away!!!
    What can I say dear... I have more books on my list to buy because of you, lol!!
    Hope you had a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review B!

    I've read a lot of really good reviews of this book. I'll have to add it to my mile long list! lol

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    Best
    L

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to read this one, you and everyone who has reviewed this has really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another good choice! Going to look this one up and Friday Find it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Patti,
    really, her other series even better, hm. I did read a short story from that world, ok, but it did not grip me. Still I do hate short stories sometimes so that could be the answer ;)

    Sassy Brit,
    Oh do do FF it :D

    Cecile,
    Lol, that's life. Don't let that card get to far away now ;) I sure know how they wanna run around like crazy and buy everything in their way.
    But this book was fun. Do love that.

    Hi lea,
    Yeah, only good ones for me too, I wonder what the bad ones say.
    Anyway great and fun book, saved me from a little reading slump I was in.

    Donna,
    I sure hope you will like it too. Since I have not read any of her other works I cannnot compare, but I do think I would like this one the most lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the great review, this sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it when a cover really goes with the book. Glad you enjoyed this one.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cool looking book, and a great review.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Scattie,
    Oh it sure was.

    Anna,
    That is the best, and they did so well with the mood of the book and Rose

    Thanks Sadako

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to see you enjoyed this one. I just added it to my wishlist yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Carol,
    Yay :D I hope you will enjoy it you get it one day

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Blodeuedd!

    Great review, I've added it to my list! Now all I need is a place to put more books, lol!

    Gee, can't wait to take a peek!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dottie,
    Lol, I so know what you mean. Cos I do not even have a bookcase. I have these things I have made into one but yeah not anything now. Books I have read I bring to my parents. But when I move to bigger flat I will sure get something ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like a spirited heroine -- my favorite kind!

    ReplyDelete
  23. DC,
    Aye they can sure be great, and I loved that she was soft too

    ReplyDelete
  24. Blodeuedd ~ nice review, I'm looking forward to getting this one so I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, I will have to get this one :) I had never heard of it before now. It sounds as though you really enjoyed it, and I love witty, lol! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Teddyree,
    It was a fun read and just what I needed at that time. I do hope you will enjoy it too if you get it.

    Krista,
    It had something special in it, and a great little world. Check it out to see if it's for you :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP