Saturday 28 November 2009

Review: Stray - Rachel Vincent


Stray by Rachel Vincent
Shifters book 1

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Published: 2007
Pages: 624

I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.

Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.

I'd been warned about Strays , werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female, and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.

This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back , for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever and whoever, I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays, 'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them.




Oh I truly enjoyed this book. It was fast paced, and kept my attention. The only reason it took so long to read it was that I was too busy and that it was really long.

Faythe is a kick-ass heroine, I am not just saying that. No, she has been taught to fight since she was little and has played with the boys on the family farm. That is the other werecat boys that lives with her family since her dad is the alpha for a big area. She has claws, and she can keep her own. What she mostly want is freedom. The ratio female-male cats is huge, and her family would like to see her settled with babies, she is to take over. Instead she ran off to college. But now she must return. Someone is hunting tabbies and she has been targeted.

I was not sure if I would like her because she is so aggressive and more at times, but the more I read the more I understood. So much was hanging over her shoulders. She has a right to some privacy, but still there were some things I did not like. When she laughed at a couple of places, she should have been more terrified, angry or something other than that. It continued, and I mean yes she is strong but that felt wrong.

What about romance then, oh yes I got some of that too. First some sexual tension and then so more sexual tension. Still she did forget about her boyfriend pretty fast when she went on flirting with Jace. And then there was Marc, the guy she left when she went to College. Oh he was all Alpha, and everyone knew it, she knew it too and that is part of the problem. I could not wait to see sparks fly again there. I do wonder how that will play out.

The latter part of the book was so intense, it kept me on the edge of my seat and I just wanted to turn the pages faster and faster. It gets pretty terrifying and there is a lot of violence and horror.

Sure this book was very long, but it was needed. You had to see it all before the end can come. And those very intense long pages went pretty fast since I had to know what happened, at that second.

This was a great start to a series, and I will read more. If the other books are as good then I am in for an awesome ride. And hey I have always like cats.


Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: I like it, it is so her.
Reason 4 Reading: My own book
Final thoughts: Oh liking it :D Yes a series to read.



15 comments:

  1. Glad to see you liked this book, it's one of my fave series. The books just keep getting better and the last one had me jumping up and down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The series is called Shifters. thats via Mrs Vincent herself. Its awesome! She has told me the rest of the books are far better than even the first! Exciting right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cassie :D
    So strange I found both names in some many different places, Amazon for one.
    Getting better! I cna't wait.

    Patti,
    I am thrilled that I have book 2 and 3 cos yes it was an amazing read

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so love this series and the books are getting better with every installment.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't really read much urban Fantasy, but this book sounds like a really fun read. I might just start to explore the urban fantasy genre! Thanks for the great review!
    Hugsxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your thoughts on this book, B! I'm not an urban fantasy reader, but your review might have convinced me to give it a try. How many books has this series? I confess, I love series :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this series in my TBR pile. It just keep getting pushed to the back as new ones comes in. However your review sounds so good, I just pulled all three books out to the front of the pile now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beth,
    Sometimes some UF is just what you need, and that was the case for me at teh moment. I needed something intense.

    Susi,
    Well I love the sound of that, oh yes I do. Too bad there are a bunch of books that are before in the TBR pile ;)

    Erot,
    Well so far 4, book 5 should be out next year and I guess there will be even more, and everyone do keep saying that they get even better.

    Cherrry,
    Yay, oh do read the first. And I hope you will enjoy it, it will sue take you for a fast ride

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow! Violence and horror? You've sold another book to me! LOL

    Thanks mate!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to read more Urban Fantasy and more shapeshifters... This sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Blodeuedd!! I am glad that you liked this one. I have one of the books in the series, but I have to get them in order before I read them. Long... action... horror... sexual tension... more sexual tension... werecats... damn... count me in!!! Great review honey!!!

    OH and I have updated my slide of Richard for you... You might want to check that out later!!! hee hee!! I know how much you hussy after him!!! =)
    Hope you enjoy!!!
    Have a wonderful Monday my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Blodeuedd!

    I so have to get this book out, the whole series. Her newest edition will be coming out soon, I'd like to read the first four to be ready for the next. Loved your review!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds really good. Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sassy Brit,
    You're welcome, oh yes violence and horror in form of, well can't say, but it got scary there for many pages.

    Marissa,
    Oh I am really into shapeshifters these days, they are really cool, and hot ;)

    Dottie,
    Then I really must buy book 4 too, hehe, and then book 2, or just wait to see how 2 and 3 turns out

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cecile,
    Oh thank you for those lovely updated pics, you sure know how to wake the hussy in me ;)
    He is just too mmmmmmmm.

    Oh and the book was just great, that sexual tension could break the wall.


    Yvonne,
    Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP