Wednesday 10 February 2010

Review: The Knife of Never letting Go - Patrick Ness

The Knife of never Letting Go
Chaos Walking, book 1

Genre: YA, futuristic, sci-fi, dystopian
Pages: 496
Published: 2008

Todd Hewitt is the last boy in Prentisstown.

But Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in a constant, overwhelming, never-ending Noise. There is no privacy. There are no secrets. Or are there?

Just one month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd unexpectedly stumbles upon a spot of complete silence. Which is impossible. Prentisstown has been lying to him. And now he's going to have to run...


Oh, oh, oh, ok I have found the kind of YA I like and it has to do with freaky futures! This is what I should stick with when it comes to YA.

Todd lives in Prentisstown with his two guardians. All the women died after the aliens on teh planet released something that made the men hear everything. Every thought, and I mean every. Trees, dogs, flowers. There is a never ending noise. Todd lives in this, but then one day he finds something, a place of nothing. Soon he is running for his life, for in this book nothing is what it seems. I can't tell you anything more because this book sure hides its secrets well. But of course first they killed all the aliens, and Todd is the last boy since there are no women anymore. That I can tell.

I read this book and never put it down, I could not stop, because the way he writes. He guards those secrets well and in the end I just read faster and faster. I can't say anything more, but wow. I do like scary worlds. And I would not want to live on this planet.


This book has got some violence, not much, but some things did make me cringe. Just because it was YA, but then again it was not graphic, and it was needed to show the horror.

It is not sci-fi either, I learn they got there by ship, but it was religious people fleeing the old crowded planet, so now they are simple farmers. No technology at all. 

It is also a strange book, sometimes he writes the noise, an entire page with nose. But it gives you an idea what it is like, and there are not many. I do like his style, and I can't wait to get my hands on book 2 because the end, again, he knows how to keep a girl on edge.

What can I say, if you liked the Hunger Games then I am sure you will like this one too. Anyone can read and and enjoy it. And it sure has some suspense, and the secrets, oh the secrets. For fans of dystopian like fiction, read this.

This will be one of the best books I have read this year. This sure did not disappoint me, Ness knows how to twist a tale.

Book 2, The Ask and the Answer, is already out, and book 3 Monsters of Men comes out in the fall. The perfect time to start this book then.


Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: Sure, not pretty, but eye-catching and scary.
Reason for Reading: Library Book
Final thoughts: Read it!



20 comments:

  1. I am so glad you loved it. It is a fabulous book. Wait until you read the second one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figure if I read enough rave reviews of this genre then I might be inspired enough to actually read one. :)

    Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This definitely doesn't sound like anything I've read before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read this one as well! I must say that I'm so envious that you have a library that get's these great books so quickly!

    Great review =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed it - I read this last year and it has quickly become a favorite! But, dude, you think you're on edge now, wait until you read the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vivenne,
    I wish the library would hurry up, maybe I should go there and tell them to hurry up ;)

    Cat,
    I can rave a lot about this genre, this is so my kind of YA. Edgy and dark, and not teen

    Chris,
    It was so creepy at times, and I thought it would make a great movie too.

    Ladybug,
    They had had it for some time and I had missed it! I can't believe it either, go library!

    Jenny
    Oh oh oh oh oh...listening for real now. I mean this book nearly killed me at times, and the next one will keep me even more on edge, wow

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you discovered dystopian YA! I have not read this one (the last person to ever do so, it seems!) but I have heard so many good things about it! Maybe you should read The Hunger Games next? Or did you already? I don't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aarti
    Oh I did, and loved both books, can't wait for book 3. Hence the realization that this is my YA genre...though did like Poison Study so put fantasy in there too (of course the next 2 were too teen).

    But yes read this book, it was freaky

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this 'he writes the noise, an entire page with nose' I have to see how he does this. I like reading other writers technique.
    Warm regards,
    Simone

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love reading that sentence..."this is one of the best books I've read this year".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simone,
    It was really messy, but it made so much sense, cos then I could really get the constant noise of everything.

    Nise,
    I am only happy to say it :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean about finding the YA that works for you...

    I am all about Morgan Howell's and his idea of YA - fantasy, Orks and devious....

    Love your thoughts on this... my son loved Hunger Game..

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  13. EH
    I really must read him, but even though I haev the ebook I can't, they are so so, I only make a few exceptions.
    Did not know they are YA.
    Oh and I am sure he would like this one

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, one of the best books you've read this year! That's pretty high praise! I'm glad you discovered that futuristic YA works for you, hon :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Janna
    Yup my kind of YA :) Wish I could read some great dystopian adult books then too

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's great when the moment a book clicks for you, like this one did. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome review, The Hunger Games made my favourite read list in 2009 so looks like I'd better add this one to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Donna
    It was amazing, I actually did not think I would like it...how wrong was I

    Teddyree
    Hunger Games, loved it, and this one was so freaky too, trust me...freaky! Read it

    ReplyDelete
  19. Blodueudd -
    Just wanted to stop by since you commented on the post for Susi at my site. :)

    I have this book on my list, and gave it to my niece for Xmas.. nice review - I am really glad you liked it since it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Sheila,
    It was fun to find you site via Susi.
    Yes do read it, it was excellent, I hope your niece enjoys it too.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP