Saturday 6 February 2010

Review: Sins of the Flesh - Caridad Pineiro

Sins of the Flesh by Caridad Pineiro

Genre: Paranormal romance Suspense
Pages: 336
Published: October 2009

Caterina Shaw’s days are numbered. Her only chance for survival is a highly experimental gene treatment – a risk she willingly takes. But now Caterina barely recognizes herself. She has new, terrifying powers, an exotic, arresting body — and she’s been accused of a savage murder, sending her on the run.

Mick Carrera is a mercenary and an expert at capturing elusive, clever prey. Yet the woman he’s hunting down is far from the vicious killer he’s been told to expect: Caterina is wounded, vulnerable, and a startling mystery of medical science. Even more, she’s a beautiful woman whose innocent sensuality tempts Mick to show her exactly how thrilling pleasure can be. The heat that builds between them is irresistible, but surrendering to it could kill them both . . . for a dangerous group is plotting its next move using Caterina as its deadly pawn.


This was a great book, at first I did not know what it would be about, I mean he is kissing her underwear, would it be a smexy ride? Actually it was not as PR as some in the genre. This was more like UF is sometimes, and I liked it a lot. Edit: Just found that they call it suspense too, and yes that makes sense.

Caterina Shaw was dying from cancer ad she was offered something new, but that turned out to be a nightmare as they used her as a labrat in a gene experiment. Her body is strange and she is stronger than before, but also lost and vulnerable. She did it all for her music, which she loves.

Mick is sent to find her, but he has doubt that she will be a savaged killer. He is ex army, hot, and very protective. Yes very alpha. He finds her, and then he wants the truth, but he can't just hand her over.

Instead of saying it is paranormal romance, I would make it contemporary sci-fi romance, you get my point. It was about the science, and her powers comes from that (if not something new shows up in the next book). And there is romance, oh yes it is building up between those two, and I am glad it takes some time for things to heat up because she is so vulnerable and lost. And when it finally happens it makes total sense. During all that time he does play the tough guy, but anyone can see that wants to protect, and I like him a lot.Cat is nice, but since she is pretty lost, and I wonder if she is a murderess, well I just had to get to know her and trust her like he did.

What to say, the book is not as sexy as it looks, so go on give it a try, it was a nice one, and to those who likes it sexy, well you will get what you want too later on.

I really liked how these two got to know and trust each other, and I enjoyed the sidestory with his sister Liliana and her ass of a boyfriend. I hope we get to hear more about her...in the middle of this review I went on over to Caridad's site, and oh yes book 2 will be about Liliana. I am very happy to hear that. She deserves a nice guy.

There is the strangeness of the gene treatment, and evil scientist, the hunters after Cat, the budding romance between her and sexy Mike. Liliana's story and involvement since she is a doctor and wants to help. The hunt getting closer and closer as they want their experiment back. A story with a bit of everything. A story that managed to grab me as the characters came to life. I'd say, read it.

PS. I do not know how to make the thingy over N in Pineiro.


Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: It does look more sexy than it is, but it is pretty and I love the backcover, have to show you it.

Reason for Reading. Copy from the author in change for an honest review.
Final thoughts: I liked it a lot, and it managed to surprise me, I did judge the book by its cover.

23 comments:

  1. I have this one to read, too. Someday. :) It does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. B,

    Great review.

    I've seen this one in the stores and may have to revisit it after your review. :)

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh! This sounds interesting! I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been seeing this one around lately and it does sound pretty good. Nice review of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris,
    I do think you would enjoy it. I sure did :D

    Michelle,
    It was good, and Mike was such a hottie.

    Lori,
    I know right, oh it sure sounds cool!

    Dar
    Thanks :)
    I had seen it around too, and I am happy to have read and liked it

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the one that I won from you...looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do hope you will enjoy it Staci! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post!

    I always enjoy your reviews.

    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does sound lovely but my to be read pile is mad, isn't life grand... to have more good books to read than one has time 'happy sigh'
    A lovely weekend to you my dear.
    Warm regards,
    Simone

    ReplyDelete
  10. I pass on this book so many times - becasue of the cover..

    Shame it's marketed as paranormal - I like the suspense angle though...

    I'll check into this one...

    Thanks hon

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review, hon! This sure sounds like an interesting read! I might check it out despite the lack of sexyness ;)

    Btw I love your header!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Hawk, that is so sweet of you to say :)

    Simone,
    My TBR pile sure keeps growing too, not to mention I want to buy pile, lol.

    EH,
    I do think there should be an excerpt on her page ;) Cos yes it was not at all as I expected, but of course I really liked it cos of that

    Janna,
    Thanks, wanted a more fantasy feel.
    Haha, yes you might enjoy it without too much sexyness, and do not worry they do get it on

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice review. I like the suspense and the science mix. I'm going to keep my eyes out for a copy it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds sooo good and yes I like the cover too. I really should get this one!
    Great review hon!
    P.S. All these genre confuse me too! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. The second one in the series - STRONGER THAN SIN - comes out in October 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is always fun to find a new series couple that you can follow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Donna,
    Great mix really, science can sure be interesting, at least the freaky aspects.

    Susi,
    I thought you might like it.
    Lol, genres are so not for me, I can't get my head around what is what

    DC
    So true :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Caridad,
    Aha, yay :) I do wanna read Liliana's story. And perhaps get some more about cat and Mike, they were just great

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didn't like this one as much as you. I felt the romance and suspense to be lacking. It had a strong beginning..and the very very end was a little creepy..maybe enough to make me read the next one....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mandi
    I am just a sucker for weird gene therapy, superhumans and conspirators ;)
    Oh yes the end, creepy indeed

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like an interesting story, even if the cover is slightly deceiving.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP